1966 Ford Mustang - SOLD
Restored, Modified Pro Touring, Stock Show Quality
Fresh 347 c.i. "Stroker” (& Never Used 125hp Nitrous set-up), Headers / Flowmasters
Built C4, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, Custom Wheel, Posi-Traction 9” & MUCH MORE!
Exceptional High End Paint, Body & Completely New Interior with Upgrades
San Jose Built Lifetime California Black Plate Car
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Mustang and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Mustang can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS MUSTANG, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MUSTANG. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP” OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 24+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 925 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS - THIS PARTICULAR 1966 FORD MUSTANG COUPE
This Mustang represents a sought after first generation Mustang by the enthusiast who has an interest in a high performance example that does not have "over the top” modifications that negatively affect drivability and reliability. This '66 was approached with a cost no object philosophy with the goal of producing a car that looked mostly stock from the outside with the exception of improved wheels/tires and cosmetic upgrades but was a true "sleeper” when it came to the cars performance. The goal was, frankly, exceeded.
The discreet badging where the normal "289” front emblems usually reside are now replaced with "347” badges, the first suggestion that this is no stock Mustang. The rear trunk mounted badge that reads "Stroker” is another clear tipoff that this is a serious performer. While the car's body remains "un-cut” and there are no Pro Street mods (narrowed rear end, cut inner panels, etc.), this example has a wonderful, aggressive stance, improved suspension, beefed-up C4 transmission, and disc brakes. The chrome "nozzle” mounted on the rear area near the front hood is a tip off to those in the know that this car is fitted with Nitrous Oxide. In this case, a 125 HP "Shot.” However, since the engine has only 2,000~ miles since being rebuilt, the Nitrous was never used as it was important to the owner to have the engine broken in prior to its use. The lines are run, switch mounted in the interior, and the tank is mounted, but final carburetion connection and set-up will be required if the new owner chooses to use the system. Please refer to the sections below for details on additional, extensive performance modifications and upgrades.
The car's interior has been completely restored using a perfect combination of stock components, proper monitoring gauges, improved steering wheel, high end sound system, custom interior touches including matching body color interior panels, GT steering wheel tachometer and clock (actually works!), and much more.
The engine compartment is a sight to behold and it becomes apparent why this car has offers such strong performance. Upgrades are extensive, but include:
- 347 c.i. built "Stroker” (400~ Horsepower)
- Nitrous Oxide installed but not yet used (Note connections on engine photos)
- MSD ignition & heavy gauge red wires
- MSD coil
- Edelbrock aluminum manifold & 4bbl. carburetion
- 4-wheel disc brakes
- New suspension components & poly bushings
- New shocks
- Chrome engine brace
- Chrome hood springs, master cylinder and braided / stainless lines
- High quality hoses
- Ford Motorsports chrome valve covers
- Remote oil set-up
- JBA headers and Flowmasters with cross-overs
- Added Borgeson power steering unit
- Functioning remote alarm system
This Mustang was assembled February 24, 1966, in the San Jose (Milpitas), California plant. It has remained in California for its entire life as is supported by the black & gold vintage California license plates with proper sequence of SCE 032. While the car's mileage cannot be determined as a result of it being over 50 years old, it is not as relevant since the car has undergone a comprehensive mechanical and cosmetic restoration. The Mustang has a clean California title and is registered through May, 2017.
For security, the car is fitted with LoJack as well as a quality and fully functional remote key chain alarm system. Doors lock with the keys, and remotely.
The Vehicle Identification Number or VIN of 5R07C170924 is found on both the inner left front fender and the driver's door tag. It is decoded as follows:
• 5 = 1966 model year
• R = Assembly plant San Jose, CA
• 07 = Body code for hardtop
• C = Engine 289 cu. in, 2 barrel carb V8 (Original Now 347c.i. "Stroker”)
• Production Sequence = 170924
The original trim tag on the driver's door lists the following:
• Body 65A = 2 door hardtop
• Color M = Candy Apple Red (originally) - Now striking grey / black stripes
• Trim 25 = Red Crinkle Vinyl & Red Rosette Vinyl / Standard Interior - Restored Interior in black with upgrades
• Date 24 B = Produced February 24
• DSO 72 = San Jose district
• Axle 6 = 2.80:1 ratio
• Trans 6 = C4 Automatic
• Vehicle Identification Number (VIN #) = 6R07C170173
• Original black / yellow California license plates # SCE 032
15,000 Miles since Comprehensive Restoration
2,200 Miles on Engine & Transmission
Engine: Fresh 5.7 l / 347 cci V-8 Ford Stroker (302 cci base), 400 HP
Transmission: C-4 heavy duty custom built, transmission cooler
Nitrous ready Extra (125 HP Injection (not used as engine has to break in first)
Exhaust System: JBA header & X pipes, stage 2 Flowmaster mufflers
Steering: Borgeson Power Steering System
Brakes: 4 Disc Power Brake System
Rear End: Ford 9” Posi
Security: Carbine Plus Security System / LoJack
Documentation: Original Black License Plates, Owner's Manual and Repair /
• Beautiful high quality grey metallic paint
• Dual stripes in black under clear-coat (totally smooth)
• No body damage or significant cosmetic imperfections
• Very straight body w/ excellent panel fit including hood, trunk, and doors
• "347” badging on both upper front fenders
• Period appearance radio with functional fender mounted electric antenna
• All glass is excellent with light tint
• GT grill
• All light lenses are good
• Beautiful, high quality front and rear bumpers w/ brilliant chrome
• Valence panels under both bumpers undamaged
• Nice stainless trim around all windows
• Very solid rocker panel area
• Restored and upgraded black interior
• Stock black front & rear seats
• Custom painted (body color) inner door panels and rear areas on seat sides (Very well done and a great upgrade that adds to the quality of the interior)
• Black 3-point harnesses - front / rear seat belts
• Excellent black carpet throughout w/ black mats / Mustang logo on front mats
• Excellent black door panels
• New Mustang logo door sills that light upon entry
• Totally crack-free black dash pad (Mustang dash pad cover and car cover included)
• Updated but classic look gauges (working lighting on all gauges) Note: Color on gauges can be changed and brightness is adjustable
• Functional 3 gauge panel under dash to monitor oil pressure, water temp. & volts
• GT gauges mounted on steering wheel
• Immaculate sun-visors and headliner in black
• Custom steering wheel with functional center horn and Mustang logo
• Functional, stock heater & defroster with restored knobs and chrome dash outlet
• Both doors, the hood and the trunk lid open and close very well with excellent gaps
• Excellent weather-stripping
• All 4 windows roll up and down easily and seal properly
• Both "wings” work properly and seal well
• Inside manual control for driver's side rear view mirror & passenger side mirror
• Period style in dash radio with upgraded sound system / front and rear speakers & amplifier
• Very solid, original San Jose, CA delivered totally solid example
• All gauges work
• Very solid trunk floor / rear end w/ brand new proper mat & no signs of damage or previous repairs
• Full size spare tire and original type jack in trunk
We have seen more Mustangs than we can count during our close to 25 years in business. Even "restored Mustangs” often times, the cars lack the attention to detail that results in a high quality example. Not so in this instance. This car's owner was highly detailed and committed to ensuring that the Mustang was reliable, offered excellent performance, and was well sorted.
The quality of this car's cosmetic condition rates very high. Considerable time and expense were spent to make this car a show stopper. The paint is excellent with high gloss, laid totally flat, and it is apparent that the car was disassembled to paint the entire vehicle including door jambs, under hood, trunk and all other areas is a striking grey / black center stripes. Any extremely minor imperfections do not detract from the quality of appearance of the Mustang as a car that would certainly draw considerable attention at car shows, cruises, etc.
The car's California body is unusually solid and rust free, even at the rockers and under the doors where rust can be found especially on cars that have lived in inclement weather. The body is exceptionally straight and the panel fit is as good as we have seen on a Mustang of this era. The doors close solidly with a light touch and the hood and trunk gaps / fit are excellent. There are no signs of previous damage or repair either on the body or underside of the car. The car has reportedly been garaged its entire life and it certainly shows.
While the body of the car and its interior retain many of the stock components and no permanent modifications were made to the body (with the exception of the added hood scoop). The custom 17” wheels are wrapped in matching tires with excellent remaining tread (235/45 17” rear, 225/45 17” front.) All glass is excellent with a light tint on side and rear. Bumpers are dent-free with beautiful chrome and the valence panels under the bumpers are in excellent condition (refer to photos). All stainless trim around the windows is very nice.
The black interior shows nicely with excellent vinyl seats, nice carpet, a crack-free dash pad and nice door panels. A carpeted dash cover is included to protect the dash from the sun. The black headliner and sun visors are also very good and free from damage, tears or fading. The metal panels adjacent to both sides of the rear seat are in fine condition. The rear window package shelf is nice showing no warping or signs of leakage from poor window seals and is fitted with upgraded speakers that offer excellent sound.
The trunk floor is very solid and rust free with a brand new proper mat, a full-sized spare tire and original style jack.
We love the old Mustangs, especially all original California cars that were built in our "backyard” in nearby San Jose. The difference between cars that have spent their entire lives in California vs. those that have had exposure, the elements can be dramatic. We remember our Chicago days when, even in the 1970's the Mustangs were beginning to rust. Today, many Midwest, East Coast and overseas cars have been repaired to address rust issues and they can never be brought back to their original state.
So you ask, what does this have to do with "drivability?” Well, in the case of this Mustang, the car seems tighter than most with a solid feel and lacing the "creaks & groans” of some of the vintage cars that we drive. Certainly, in this case the improved suspension, better wheels and tires and considerable enhancement to performance play a huge part in the overall feel of the car.
Whether warm, or cold, the Mustang starts immediately, idles smoothly but with an incredibly pleasing deep "rumble.” The rebuilt and strengthened C4 transmission shifts properly and without any signs of problems. The car has excellent power, does not hesitate and runs smoothly and well.
The Mustang tracks straight and stops very well with the significantly upgraded 4-wheel disc braking system. The steering is light, but precise making the car a pleasure to drive. The emergency brake is fully functional and adjusted properly. The car does not overheat even in our warm California climate.
The lighting system is fully functional as are wipers, period style, in-dash upgraded AM/FM sound system, and working heater / defroster. The car passed the required California safety inspection with no findings / needs.
• California smog test not required for vehicles 1975 and older
• Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
• Clear California title with current California registration, paid through May, 2017.
• Original California black plates SCE 032, transferrable to a California buyer
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1966 FORD MUSTANG COUPE
• Wheelbase 108 inches
• Length 181.6 inches
• Width 68.2 inches
• Height 51.1 inches
• Luggage 9 cu. ft.
• Curb weight 2556 lbs
• Fuel capacity 16 gallons
HISTORY OF THE FORD MUSTANG
The first-generation Ford Mustang was manufactured by the Ford Motor Company from April 1964 until 1973. The introduction of the Mustang created a new class of automobile known as the pony car. The Mustang's styling, with its long hood and short deck, proved wildly popular and inspired a host of imitators.
Lee Iacocca's assistant general manager and chief engineer, Donald Frey, was the head engineer for the Mustang project - supervising the development of the Mustang in a record 18 months from September 1962 to March 1964 - while Iacocca himself championed the project as Ford Division general manager.
It was initially introduced in 1964 as a hardtop and convertible with a fastback version put on sale the following year. At the time of its introduction, the Mustang was slotted into a compact car segment. To decrease development costs, the Mustang used chassis, suspension, and drivetrain components derived from the Ford Falcon and Fairlane.
Since it was introduced five months before the normal start of the 1966 production year and manufactured alongside 1964 Ford Falcons and 1964 Mercury Comets, the earliest Mustangs are widely referred to as the 1964½ model but are registered as 1966's. Several changes to the Mustang occurred at the start of the normal 1966 model year production, five months after its introduction. These cars are known as "late 65's", and were built after factory retooling in August 1964. The DC electrical generator was replaced by a new AC alternator on all Fords. The Mustang GT version was introduced as the "GT Equipment Package”. The standard interior features of the 1966 Mustang included adjustable driver and passenger bucket seats, an AM radio, and a floor mounted shifter. Total 1966 production of all body styles was 559,451 of which 372,124 were the standard coupe.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
• Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 21 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
• The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
• We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
• We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
• Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 925 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
• We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
• Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
• We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
• As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
• In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subjectto sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
• If you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
• We encourage inspections of this Mustang by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
• As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
• Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, and wear items that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
• The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|"Black Plate" California Car|
3-Point Seat Belts
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
California Lic & Reg
Exceptional Paint Quality
Exempt from CA Smog
Factory Bucket Seats
Factory Console / Automatic
Fog / Driving Lights
Front Sway Bar
Heater / Defroster
Highly Detailed Trunk
Instrument Panel Dash Pad
No Rust CA. Body
Rear Bench Seat
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Frt. & Rear)
Sport Steering Wheel