1982 Ferrari 308 GTS
17,680 Original Mile - Freshly Major Service Within 500 Miles
Desirable "FLY” Yellow / Black -Two Long Time Owners
Incredible "Survivor” - A candidate for the Ferrari Club of America Preservation "Platino”
NOTE: Our listings not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please read the OVERVIEW below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Ferrari and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Ferrari can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS COBRA, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE FERRARI. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP” OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 24+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 930 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
HISTORY - THIS PARTICULAR FERRARI
As defined by the Ferrari Club of America, a Preservation eligible example needs to meet the following criteria:
- Be over 30 years+ old
- Come as close as possible to being in condition and functionality as when they left the factory
- Those cars that achieve 97 or more points will receive a Platino Certification
This late 308GTSi certainly answers the primary question that would be posed by 3 Ferrari judges: "Does the item, part, fabric, plating, or coating appear to be that which was specifically installed or applied on this car at the time of manufacture?”
This example represents an exceptional example of an unmodified, unaltered, original fuel injected 308GTSi. As the old adage goes, "Cars are only original once, and begin to deteriorate the minute they leave the factory.” This car retains its original paint with no history or indication of body damage or repainting, completely original, unmolested interior, properly configured front and rear "trunks” and original wheels. The car even wears its original, factory issued Michelin 220/55 VR TRX Steel Belted Radials (while we do not encourage the use of the car with these tires, they do add to its value as a survivor and for those who have an interest in showing the car.
Please google Preservation Platino and click on Preservation Class Standards and Awards for more information.
The ownership history documents the 308GTSi's two owners from its purchase new until November, 2015. The car's first owner, a physician, purchased the Ferrari new in May, 1982 and owned it for over 16 years when it was sold to the second "caregiver”, a Ferrari aficionado in Scottsdale, AZ on October 15, 1998. The second owner had possession of the 308GTSi until 2015, a total of 17 years when it sold to the present owner. Unique circumstances require reluctant sale of the Ferrari at this time.
The car's documentation is extensive and includes the original factory window sticker and other original delivery items including:
- Window Sticker
- Complete tool roll (unused)
- Factory Spare (unused)
- Original Ferrari Document Holder / Case (with Ferrari logs) including:
- Owner's Warranty & Service Book
- Ferrari 308 Consumer Information
- 308 GTSi U.S. Version Booklet
- Ferrari 308 GTSi Consumer Information Booklet
- Blaupunkt Dealer Added CR-3001 Manual (Radio still in car and functional including antenna)
- Spectrum Whistler Radar Detector (no longer installed)
In addition to including the factory accessories, the 308GTSi comes with extensive documentation from the 1st dealer service on June 21st when the car had 912 miles. The maintenance / repair file continues to document the cars history to the present time and as recently as 4/12/16 (within 100 miles) including
The Ferrari received a major service including the following:
- R&R timing belts
- Replace water pump with new
- Flush cooling system, add new coolant
- Evacuate & recharge air conditioning system
- Convert A/C to 134A
- R&R Battery
- New hoses as needed
- Complete oil service
- Safety inspection
The mileage is chronologically supported by the CarFax report with the exception of an apparent error in an entry on July 8, 2003 when the mileage was inadvertently entered as 140 (not 140,000, 40,000, but 140). Subsequent mileage reading track the mileage properly including the prior and subsequent readings that reflect the following:
- Dealer Sales Document to 2nd Owner dated 9/19/92 - Mileage 9,254
- Smog Inspection by the State of California on 6/18/07 - Mileage 17,679
There are no other discrepancies on the CarFax report or contained in the comprehensive maintenance file. The error is confined to one mistake in reporting and it is clear from the condition of the car and the documentation that the mileage is just over 17,000~.
In a word… striking. It is impossible to duplicate originality and, refreshingly, this car remains totally stock in virtually every respect. Not only is the car original, but it has its original factory paint, no history, or signs of current or previous accident damage, rust of other cosmetic issues. The car is documented since day one and has just had a major service within 500 miles so it is ready to be used and enjoyed, or shown at local or national level Ferrari gatherings.
The car, amazingly, still "wears” its original, Michelin TRX tires (including the spare), undamaged original wheels and most of its factory correct, original components. While the car's tires should definitely be used if the Ferrari is to be used as an occasional care, they document the incredible originality of the car and its low, low mileage.
This particular 308GTSi runs and drives extremely well and is solid, rattle free and mechanically strong. It starts immediately easily, great oil pressure, good power, and freshly serviced. The 308 pulls strongly through all gears and has excellent, linear power. The clutch is excellent, free from slippage or issues, and progressive. The gearbox reflects the cars low mileage with excellent synchros, and the often problematic 2nd gear syncromesh not being a problem, even when the car is cold. The brakes are effective and the steering and chassis are tight and precise. The air conditioning blows cold and has been upgraded to 134A. The car runs cool even in California's warm climate and has had the benefit of a new water pump, coolant change, hoses and complete inspection, performed by a Ferrari specialist within the past few hundred miles.
The interior is correct and in exceptional condition throughout. The seat upholstery and dashboard are totally original and in lovely condition with virtually no defects that detract from the beauty of the interior. The carpets are in great condition and have been protected with Ferrari logo black mats. The instruments and controls are in excellent condition, as is the center console, all of which appear are in original but incredibly well preserved condition. The steering wheel is Nardi, black Ferrari item with a yellow Ferrari logo horn button. The dealer added Blaupunkt radio remains in place and the power windows and other electrical items are functional.
The engine compartment, trunk, and front compartment are all very clean and correct in appearance. The engine is virtually spotless and originally configured. The factory air-box remains in place with factory correct semi-gloss finish and decals. The front compartment is in excellent condition and there are NO indications of any current or previous accident damage. The car has the proper plastic liner, fuse covers, and original spare with factory proper Michelin TRX tire.
As the preferences of the new generation of collectors emerge, the 308 is proving to be a popular model with strong investment potential because of its relevance to this buyer group. Values and interest in these cars is clearly increasing with documented sales of ‽honest”, high quality cars in the mid-$100,000 range. This car represents a rare opportunity to own a totally unmolested example of an original, limited owner, fully documented, 17,000 mile 308GTSI.
The Ferraristi who remained unconvinced that the Bertone-designed 308 GT4 2+2 was a true successor to the gorgeous Dino 246 had their prayers answered when the Ferrari 308 GTB was unveiled at the Paris Show in 1975. Ferrari returned to Pininfarina for the 308 GTB's styling, and this two-seat, mid-engine coupe sat on a chassis with a wheelbase that was eight inches shorter than the GT4 upon which it was based.
Production started with the GTB Berlinetta in 1976, with the 308 GTS Targa variant being introduced in 1977. The first 712 308s Ferrari built wore fiberglass bodies before the company switched to steel. In all, just over 12,000 308s were produced from 1976 to 1985.
These 3-liter, V-8 powered 1980s icons represent an excellent way to enter into Ferrari ownership due to their relative affordability and ease of ownership, and can be divided into three different series. The 308 was carbureted from 1976 to 1979, with 1976 and 1977 models being especially desirable due to their more aggressive cams and lack of emissions equipment. The 308 GTBi and GTSi variants from 1980 to 1982 saw Bosch fuel injection replace the previous generations' Weber carburetors resulting in improved performance and reliability.
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 24 years. We operate a small, highly specialized "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, with a focus on the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 930+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license / registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Ferrari by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As a high performance sports car, we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle.
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner, previous owners, or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Targa
|Exterior Color:||FLY Yellow|
|Transmission: ||5 Speed Manual
|3-Point Seat Belts|
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Dual Side Mirrors
Exceptional Paint Quality
Factory Air Conditioning
Factory Bucket Seats
Factory Center Console
Factory Seat Belts
| ||Full Instrumentation|
Matching Numbers Engine
Matching Numbers Transmission
Meets All USA Standards
Original Jack & Tools
Original Owners Manual
Original Warranty Booklet
Passed Strict CA. Smog
Runs / Drives Very Well