1964 Porsche 356C
Incredible Example - Desirable Late Model, California Born & Raised 356C
Comprehensive & Detailed Documentation Dating back to 1967
One Owner for OVER 48 Years!
One of the Finest Original / Restored Examples Available Today…
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Porsche and answer any questions over the telephone, including our ‽Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBbay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS PORSCHE, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE 356. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP” OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 24+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 920~ positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
HISTORY - THE PORSCHE 356C
For more than half a century, enthusiasts and collectors have continuously sought after the iconic and agile Porsche 356. And while many cars have propelled Porsche to new heights, the 356 set a standard, launching the marque into world production. Porsche began the venerable 356 series as their first foray into sports car production. With much of their success in racing, the world would soon see that Porsche was a sports car company to be reckoned with.
Upon its release, the 356A became one of the most sought after Porsche's, exhibiting the finest craftsmanship and engineering, particularly in these early cars. Subsequently, the improvements to the "C” made the car even more desirable and fun to drive (more on that later). Thoughtfully designed and sporty, the 356C offered customers high quality, value, reliability, and mechanical robustness that would define the Porsche brand in the coming decades. Today the 356 series cars further entice collectors to seek out these capable and beautiful sports cars for the same reasons enthusiasts purchased them when new. The cars remain reliable, recession-proof investments and are revered by enthusiasts and collectors alike.
What are some of the benefits of the 356C vs. the earlier A & B cars? The 356C reflected the new standard Porsche practice of having the coachwork house Karmann build is bodies with welded steel sheet over a steel chassis. The lack of the Ruetter badge is the easiest and most reliable way to determine the difference between a late edition 356B vs. the more desirable "C.” The 356C introduced new ATE, 4-wheel disc brakes with an alteration to the chassis to accommodate the rerouted rear caliper hydraulic lines.
As important is the fact that earlier 356 examples carried Volkswagen derived magnesium cases and VW crankshaft, before Porsche lengthened the stroke, then adopted its own, in-house aluminum cases. The ''three-piece'' case is named for its removable timing-gear cover. Porsche was now out of Volkswagen's shadow and was already well along in developing the 911 when the 356C was being produced.
The 356C engine is a pushrod flat four cylinder with compression of 8.5:1 with fuel fed through a pair of Zenith 32NDIX carburetors with twin chokes. The factory fitted transmission is the impregnable Porsche 741 transaxle is unassailable under almost any condition. The front suspension consists of parallel trailing arms with transverse laminated torsion bars and anti-roll bar. The rear suspension has swing axles with transverse torsion bars. This example remains in totally stock configuration.
Many believe that, as a result of the ongoing development of the 356 that the "target” 356 to acquire is the 1964 or 1965 356C. By the mid-60's, the Porsche offered a good ride due to the softened torsion bar set-up, good torque, the best cylinder head and 4-wheel disc brakes.
The included Porsche Certificate of Authenticity (COA) #217667 (shown in photos), issued to the current owner reflects the following information:
Model Year / Type: 1964 356C / 1600 C Karmann Coupe
Production / Completion Date: 03/13/1964
Engine Number / Type: # 712914
Transmission Number / Type: # 76941 (741 2C)
Exterior Paint Color Code: Light Ivory / 6404
Interior Material Color / Type: Black Leatherette / B
Optional Equipment: Conti Tires
- The 356C retains its original engine and transmission along with a significant number of other original components (photos of engine and transmission number shown on the Website)
- Porsche Certificate of Authenticity (COA) documents engine, transmission and color combination as current and as factory delivered but they are consistent with Body and ID numbers on the Stoddard site and others
- No indication or history of accident damage
- Any minor rust has been repaired (lower doors, years ago) using lead and the car has had several bare metal, all trim removed, high quality resprays over the course of its life in California
- Unbelievable maintenance history and total documentation since 1967
- Includes factory original owner's manual and other delivery documents
- Original tools & pouch
- Engine professionally completely rebuilt to 912 specifications within <5,000 miles
- Rebuilt transmission with synchros replaced
- Chrome 15” wheels mounted and original wheels included (photo attached)
- Fitted with optional Porsche 356 headrests
To say this Porsche has an incredible history would be an understatement. The documentation and history of this particular 356 is simply as good as it gets. Since the car was delivered new to its original Northern California owner, the car has remained in this immediate area. The Porsche has been continuously maintained and meticulously repaired, with an expense no object philosophy during the course of its 53 years in California. During that time, the car has had a total of 3 owners from new (with one owner having ownership from 1967 to 2015).
Specifically, the Porsche was purchased new by the original owner in 1964 from Mill Valley Volkswagen Porsche. The car was sold to its second owner in August, 1967 with 57,980 miles on the odometer by the same dealer (Mill Valley Porsche VW) who coordinated the sale and serviced the 356C since it was delivered new by their dealership.
Amazingly, the cars second owner retained possession of the car for 48~ years until 2015. It is this owner who maintained what is perhaps the most comprehensive history synopsis that we have seen on any vintage Porsche. The detailed binder reflects virtually every repair, restoration effort over the years (of which there were several), and even the most minor service. The 12+ page typewritten summary is entirely too long to list in detail but is available by request to qualified, prospective buyers. Highlights include:
- Delivered to the original Northern California Owner by Mill Valley Porsche VW and accumulated 57,900 miles (Serviced by the dealer) when it sold to the second long-time owner of 48 years in 1969
- During the period of 1969-1979, the Porsche was used as daily local transportation and serviced every 3,000 miles by then Lukes & Shorman, Albany, CA.
- In August 1979, retired from regular use and maintained and driven only for special occasions and shows; insured as an antique/collectible
Perhaps most significant is the most recent restoration of the 356C from a mechanical and cosmetic perspective. The following summary will provide the reader with some idea of the ongoing effort (since the car was new) to maintain it in the best possible manner and keep it in superb cosmetic condition at all times.
Within the previous 5,000 miles:
- Complete engine rebuild to 912 (including clutch) specifications including powder-coated sheet metal, new transmission mounts and a major service - Replaced original metal stickers with originals (German/French/English) in the engine compartment.
- Total trim removed high quality, bare metal respray in factory correct, original color (Ivory #6404) in acrylic enamel (Glasurit) - All new rubber seals and trim were replaced along with a new headliner, new door panels and other cosmetic attention to a high standard.
- 6-Volt electrical system overhaul
- Carburetors rebuilt, new axle seals/kits, valve adjustment(s)
- Complete braking system overall including new master cylinder, hoses, fluid, etc.
Within 3,000 miles:
- New Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position Tires
- New battery
- Change brake fluid
- Check for floor rust (NONE found on original chassis) - remove horsehair insulation and replace with Mercedes Benz insulation and tunnel mat.
- Check oil leaks, replace gasket at oil fill tank, clean and re-check - No leaks
RECENT MINOR MAINTENANCE (Within 1,000 Miles)
- Check and adjust carburetors, new fuel filter and replace front fuel line
- Oil service and filter, remove and inspect generator re-fit left door glass in channel
- New battery
- New hood seal
- Replace shifter seal, bushings, shift rod
- Change brake fluid
- New wiper blades
Again, the maintenance history is too lengthy to list but reflects an almost obsessive approach to the care of the Porsche including very frequent oil services, valve adjustments, carburetor work, and tune-ups and addressing any and all identified issues immediately.
This pristine, late model 356C is being offered after over 50 years of private ownership (One owner for over 48 years!). The car boasts care by its meticulous owner's that cherished the Porsche and approached its maintenance and cosmetic condition with a "No expense spared” philosophy.
Supported by a factory issued Certificate of Ownership (COA), the car remains in the same configuration as when it left the Porsche factory on/about 3/13/64. The 356C retains its "numbers matching” engine and transmission along with a host of correct, factory components. Maintenance was performed excessively and proper parts were utilized for any needed replacement of mechanical items. With an engine rebuild to 912 specifications s during the past 5,000 miles, the car runs and drives extremely well with performance that exceeds that of a stock C and probably that of an SC, as well.
Having spent its entire life in California the car is exceptionally solid, straight and free from any indication of previous or present damage. The paint is absolutely striking, factory correct, and done to a very high standard. The body gaps and fit are superb and all of the rubber seals and trim were replaced when the car received its bare metal respray within the past few thousand miles.
Of particular note is the solidity of the chassis, suspension components and underside. A close inspection by an independent German specialist with 30 years of experience reveals an all original chassis with no evidence of significant rust repair, accident damage or other "surprises.” There is a very minor professionally welded patch immediately below the battery, and a very minor jacking indentation on the passenger side of the cars under-body (not visible unless the car is on a lift and then extremely minor). It is important to note that the original fender supports are in place and the front underside and front trunk show no signs of accident damage. The often rusted jacking points, front torsion mounts, and side lower sills are in beautiful condition with no rust or damage. The words of the inspector were ‽This is as nice as it gets for an original 356C.”
The cars interior is in totally original configuration showing signs of recent updating of materials including rubber mats, carpet, door panels and other components. The car is fitted with the original, factory issued Blaupunkt radio, clock and other gauges that are all functional with the exception of the radio. The seats, front and rear are excellent and free from damage. The headliner and interior bright work and other trim are lovely and the dash is painted the factory correct color that was re-done during the restoration process. The Porsche side glass, including the vent windows are factory and in very good condition. The front windshield appears to have been replaced some time ago, during a restoration effort and is free from all but the most minor imperfections but no major cracks, or stars. Lighting / electrical systems operate as designed.
The goal of achieving a spectacular blend of originality and factory delivered appearance has been achieved with this 356C. True Porsche enthusiasts will appreciate the car for its California lineage, unparalleled documentation and ongoing care and attention by its long term owner.
The 356C comes complete with extensive binders of receipts, a 12 page summary of history and maintenance dating back to 1967, original tools, jack, and spare. Two sets of wheels are included; the chrome wheels that are mounted (4), and the original factory wheels (as shown in the listing) four (4) plus the spare in the car.
Engine - Horizontally opposed four, air-cooled, three-piece aluminum crankcase, 1,582cc (96.54 cubic inches)
Horsepower - 75 @ 5,200 RPM (Now rebuilt to "912” specs with an increase in an estimated 30+% horsepower
Torque - 90.41-lbs.ft. @ 3,600 RPM
Induction system - Two Zenith 32 NDIX downdraft carburetors
Gearbox - Rear-mount Porsche transaxle, all-synchromesh, four forward speeds plus reverse
Top speed - 120-125 mph (as tested by owner)
Length - 158 inches
Width - 65.5 inches
Height - 52.5 inches
Wheelbase - 82.7 inches
Curb weight - 2,000 pounds
1964 365C PRODUCTION
1964 - 8,567 Coupe, 1,745 Cabriolets
• California smog test not required for vehicles 1975 and earlier
• Registered in California (for California buyers)
• Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
HISTORY OF THE PORSCHE
The Porsche 356 is a luxury sports car and was Porsche's first production automobile. It was a lightweight and nimble-handling rear-engine rear-wheel-drive 2-door sports car available in hardtop coupe and open configurations. Engineering innovations continued during the years of manufacture, contributing to its motorsports success and popularity. Porsche introduced the 356 to the American marketplace in September 1954. The light weight, bare-to-the-bones style of the line soon became the American race icon, often winning SCCA races in stock trim. Decades later, numerous firms have produced replicas of the car.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 24 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 920~ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- We encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail. If you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|Transmission: ||4 Speed Manual
|4-Wheel Disc Brakes|
California Lic & Reg
Exempt from CA Smog
Factory AM Radio
Fog / Driving Lights
Heater / Defroster
| ||Interior Light|
Local California "Survivor"
Matching Numbers Engine
Matching Numbers Transmission
Original Jack & Tools
Original Owners Manual
Original Porsche Gauges
Original Sheet Metal
Porsche Steering Wheel
Records Since New!
Runs / Drives Very Well
Engine # - Factory Matching
Transmission # - Factory Match
Front Bra Included
Factory Wheels Included
Powder Coated Original Wheels