1938 Chevrolet Street Rod
Frame-Off Restored - High Quality Street Rod Ready to
Show, Cruise, or Tour
Oakland Roadster Show Car in the 60's - Restored to
Period Appearance with Current Upgrades / Mechanical Components
Cost No Object, Exceptionally Well Built / Driving the '38 Chevy
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared read the full listing; please review the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Chevy and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Chevy can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS FORD, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE FORD. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT ‽PHOTO-SHOP” OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment; you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 24+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 940+ positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS - "THIS PARTICULAR 1938 CHEVY STREET ROD
This stunning, show winning street rod has a fascinating, long time California history. While it has gone through a number of iterations, it has always remained an all-steel, California style Hot Rod. History suggests that the car was entered in the prestigious Oakland Roadster show in 1960 and that the car has been in California since new. In fact, the California registration shows Year 1st Sold” as 1937 supporting that the car has lived its entire life in sunny California. This desirable '38 Chevy is anything but what some term a ‽Visa Rod” (A street rod built using a Visa card to purchase all new, aftermarket parts) but, instead, the "Real Deal”, California Rod that has been restored a number of times to keep it fresh and current.
The build details (below) tell the story relative to the cars quality and the fact that this car has been a "Cost no object” project by its previous owners. Currently, the car is 100% sorted, ready to drive and enjoy for car shows, cruising, or occasional use. The Chevy has provided its current owner with over 10 years of reliable enjoyment and has received considerable upgrades to keep it in ‽turn-key” usable condition over time. The build quality is exceptional with attention to detail that separates the car from so many poorly constructed, incomplete, home built Rods.
The reported investment in the car of over $100,000 is certainly believable The Chevy is fully sorted mechanically to provide a reliable street rod that you can proudly show, cruise or use to travel long distance. Modern features such as an automatic transmission, power steering, Vintage air conditioning, tilt steering wheel, and too many custom features to list, make it a pleasure to drive.
The car bears VIN# AA74906 and carries a clear, transferable title as a 1938 Chevy with registration (for California buyers) until July, 2017. The current odometer reading of 9,216 miles reflects the mileage since the most recent freshening of the Chevy. However, because of this cars long time history and multiple restorations, we are stating the miles as TMU (Total Miles Unknown). The speedometer and odometer are fully functional as are other monitoring gauges for oil pressure, temperature, charging system, etc.
BUILD INFORMATION SUMMARY
• Style: Coupe
• Manufacturer: Chevy / Body by Fisher - ALL Steel
• Hood: 199 Louvers
• Trunk: 193 Louvers
• Mirrors: Aluminum
• Paint Type / Color: Orange
• Pinstriping: By hand - painted
• Material / Color: Charcoal in Swedish cowhide
• Carpet: German wool / charcoal
• Headliner: Felt / Light gray
• Steering wheel: LeCarrera
• Instruments / Panel: Stewart Warner / aluminum dash
• Sound: Pioneer DEH-P3800MP AM/FM Multi CD with JVC speakers in kick panels and behind seat
• Air Conditioning: Vintage Air with dash vents
• Wiring: Custom by Mike McMillan
• Engine: Small block V8 - 355 c.i.
• Pistons: TRW
• Camshaft: TRW
• Valvetrain: Ported, polished, CC'd
• Induction: Wayne manifold, Holley 3-angle valve job, 4 bbl. carburetor, C.R. Jones air cleaner
• Ignition: Taylor wires
• Exhaust: Block hugger headers, hi-temp coating
• Radiator / Cooling System: Walker
• Lubrication system: High volume oil pump / 6 quart pan
• Battery / Electrical system: Trunk mounted 80 Amp alternator
• Dress up: George Norris valve covers, R.H. Jones air cleaner, multiple polished components
• Transmission: Turbo Hdyra-Matic 350
• Frame / Manufacturer: '38 Chevrolet GM / Narrowed 16” rear
• Front Suspension: Mustang II
• Front Brakes: Mustang disc brakes, custom made brake pedal assembly
• Rear Suspension: Anti-Roll bar, traction bars
• Differential / Ratio: Corvette / 3.78:1
• Rear Brakes: Corvette Discs / 4 wheel disc
• Steering Box: / Column: Mustang rack & pinion / power steering
• Steering Column: Chevrolet tilt & telescopic
• Wheels Rear / Front: 15” Mickey Thompson N550 / 14” P195-60SR14
• Fuel System: Steel 20 Gallon tank mounted in trunk
The paint is a highly professional job that was done with show quality standards in mind. Since it was painted, the car has been used minimally with the odometer reading 8,909 miles. While used as a show car, the owner has thoroughly enjoyed the car, driving it some distance to various Northern California shows and found it to be totally reliable and solid.
The paint / body remain in absolutely beautiful condition. The car is free from the often seen "road rash” that exists on the front of many street rods. Any minor cosmetic imperfections are almost imperceptible, especially for a car that has been driven. The Chevy is all steel including the period front and rear louvered trunk lid. As expected on a Street Rod of this quality, there are not dents, rust. All chrome is excellent as is the glass and exterior trim.
Details abound on this high-end Street Rod. It is important to note the excellent body gaps and unusually good fit and finish. The doors, trunk, hood slats all fit extremely well, open properly and, in the case of the hood and trunk are supported with custom designed products to keep them open. The trunk has a tailor made set of jumper cables that plug into a rear outlast should the car require a jump-start. The fuel filler is located in the trunk and surrounded by an aluminum enclosure for safety. The battery is secured forward in the trunk and the jumper cables minimize the need to access the battery directly in the unlikely event of a jump start. It is important to note that the car can remain unused for extended periods of time and not require a jump start (no indication of battery drain).
The interior is excellent and features Swedish cowhide (leather), high quality German carpet, relatively new Stewart Warner gauges, Vintage Air, and a premium Pioneer sound system. Door panels and all interior trim are equally nice and the interior can best be described as ‽no excuses”, and fully functional. Custom touches are continued in the interior compartment and include hand pinstriping that is also found on the cars front, rear and side panel. Discreet, but very, very well done.
The engine compartment is a work of art and immaculate. The smoothed firewall, tons of chrome and polished aluminum and quality components compare favorably to the high quality workmanship reflected in the cars exterior and interior.
An inspection of the undercarriage reveals more in the way of quality components. The narrowed Corvette rear end, 4-wheel discs with rear Corvette brakes, Mustang front end, and other components are in good condition and have been serviced regularly to ensure reliable operation.
DRIVING THE '38
We have had the pleasure of owning and representing a large number of vintage Street Rods of all years and types. We must say, this is one of the best driving, well-built examples that we have had. The Chevy is exceptionally solid, looks good, sits right and is a reliable, fun to drive Rod. It offers excellent performance and will certainly have appeal to the individual who is looking for classic Street Rod looks with the benefit of significantly updated mechanical components.
One warning…get ready for a lot of looks and plan on spending extra time talking about this one every time you stop! The '38 was built at considerable cost, and it shows. It is free from significant fluid leaks, runs at below 180 degrees (even in our warm California climate) and the investment in ongoing mechanical service / preventative maintenance has kept the car running with no breakdowns or ‽surprises.” It is a truly reliable Street Rod that the owner uses to go to local shows but isn't afraid to use and show. He feels confident that the car is in the ‽Drive Anywhere” category and would make a wonderful example for a nostalgic road trip.
The 1938 Chevy also offers a high level of comfort with air conditioning, power steering, tilt steering wheel, along with a great sound system. For safety the car is fitted with all wheel disc brakes, and seat belts. Of course, one advantage of the 2 Door 38 Chevy Coupe (besides the attractive styling) is the ability to carry passengers or ‽gear” and still travel in comfort. Certainly, the '38 is roomier and less cramped than the early 1930's vintage cars making it a pleasure to drive.
• Clear California title with current California registration
• California smog test not required for vehicles 1975 and older
• Fully functional wipers, turn signals, horn, lights, brakes, etc. in accordance with California safety standards
• Extensive documentation including feature articles on the car over the years
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 24 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialized in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 940+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven or California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- We encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail and will be glad to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. Or, if you prefer, please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this 1938 Chevy by serious, qualified buyers or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|Interior Color:||Gray Leather|
|"Body Off" Restoration|
California Lic & Reg
Custom 3rd Brke Light
Dual Side Mirrors
Exceptional Paint Quality
Exempt From Smog in California
Finished / Carpeted Trunk
Highly Detailed Trunk
| ||Highly Detailed Trunk|
No Rust CA. Body
Polished Suspension Components
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Front)
Vintage Air / Heat
Trunk Mounted Fuel Filler
Two Magazine Features
Prior to the Most Recent Resto