Historic Dirt Track Racer
1961 Triumph Motorcycle T120C Dirt Track Bike SOLD
Amazing California "Time Capsule” - One Owner / Racer Since New!!
Raced Professionally from 1961 to 1965 Then Stored Indoors for 50+ Years!
Fully Documented Including Photos of the Bike in Action & Stationary, Race Leathers, Helmet, Boots, Vests, AMA License, Vintage AMA Pin & History
THIS PARTICULAR TRIUMPH - SUMMARY
- Professionally raced by its one and only owner from 1961-1965
- Purchased new in 1961 from Johnson Motors (a "Jomo” bike)
- Numbers matching (very rare for a race bike) documented by UK Triumph club (refer to photos for frame and engine numbers)
- Trailered home after its final race in the mid-60's
and remained covered in the owner's garage for 50+ years!
- Confirmed by UK Triumph Motorcycle Club as #'s matching - 1 of 100 race bikes sent to the USA (on 9/20/61)
- Absolutely fascinating documentation included with the bike including:
- Original AMA (American Motorcycle Association) competition license in the owner's name including the date stamped mailing envelope
- Photos of the owner racing the bike
- Original helmet (shown in a race photo)
- Original leather jacket and leather pants used for racing (also shown in the racing photos) - One set of leather pants/jacket (shown in race photo), and one jacket
- Original race boots supported by photos
- Original metal templates for stenciling #'s on bike (for 13, one of the bike numbers that was issued during its race career)!!
- Original racing vests (2) with numbers and owner's name
- Vintage AMA pin on the vest
Note: Please review the detailed photographs that show the items that document the bikes history along with its original condition.
This totally original "Survivor" Triumph dominated track racing in the USA and abroad in the mid-60's. This particular bike is documented as being distributed and built for Johnson Motors, USA in the late 1960's.
A very special package that would make a wonderful addition to a serious motorcycle enthusiast's collection.
ADDITIONAL HISTORY OF THIS PARTICULAR T120C DIRT TRACK BIKE
In late 2016, the Triumph Owner's Club of England was contact for additional information on this bike. Details of its serial and engine numbers were shared and the following represents excerpts from their correspondence.
Engine and Frame No D8355
"Referring again to your inquiry regarding the original maker's records of your machine." We have researched in the archives, Triumph records and delivery dispatch notes.”
"We can confirm very few machines were built at Meriden as race bikes. These are recorded in factory records and generally their history and whereabouts are known. This machine was made for a consignment of 100 bikes sent to USA and as you thought your one went to Johnson Motors on the 20 September 1960.” "The 1961 model year begins D7727.”
"In the 1950's and 1960's Triumph machines were certainly at the forefront of track racers and the USA had many forms of off road racing and machines. It was not until the middle of the 1960's that Johnson Motors persuaded Triumph to build some special street and track racers. TriCor also did this and from pictures I have seen these machines certainly look very similar to your bike. But of course unit construction, where we assume yours is pre unit, certainly the numbers say this. So it is likely that the bike was supplied from Triumph meaning Johnson Motors. Johnsons are known as Jomo's. Certainly modified bikes to customer requirements for racing and to us this seems the most likely explanation for your bike."
‽Despite being in this barn find condition, it is still valuable and there would be lots of interest if offered for sale. ‽
‽Museums are interested in such items (referring to the clothing and memorabilia) especially with photographs, but an exact estimate for value is very difficult.”
‽We suggest you are cautious before selling in case better information comes to light.”
HISTORY 1961 TRIUMPH 120C
Starting with the 1961 Triumph Bonneville, the T120 model designation was followed by either an "R" for Road models with low pipes, or a "C" for the Street Scrambler with high pipes. Changes in the new bike were minimal, yet the steady process of development and improvement never abated. Of course, again as always the T120 and the Triumph TR6 were styled alike, apart from the Triumph 6T Thunderbird with its more conservative looks.
Starting with Engine #D7727, the 1961 Triumph Bonneville got a new cylinder head casting with vertical pillars between the outer cooling fins, designed to stop high frequency ringing (the unsupported fins vibrated like tuning forks at high RPM). There were improvements made to the transmission (gearbox) including the replacement of plain bushing with needle-roller bearings on the layshaft. The gearbox itself was also anchored more securely in its mounts. The engine sprocket was reduced in size again from 22 teeth to 21 teeth and the gear ratios were juggled to lower the gearing even more, for better acceleration.
Engine Type: Air-Cooled OHV veritical twin
Displacement: 649cc / 40c.i.
Bore & Stroke: 71mm x 82mm
Ignition: Lucas Magneto
Engine Output: 46bhp
Primary drive: 1/2" X .335" X 5/16" chain, 70 links
Primary sprockets: 22T X 43T
Gearbox: 4-speed constant mesh, right foot shift
Frame Type: Brazed lug / rigid
Suspension, front: Telescopic fork, hydraulic damping
Suspension, rear: Swing arm, 2 Girling dampers
Brake, front: 8" SLS drum
Brake, rear: 7" SLS drum
Tire, front: 3.25" X 18" Dunlop
Tire, rear: 4.00" X 18" Dunlop
Wheelbase: 54.5" / 140 cm
Seat Height: 30.5" / 77 cm
Ground Clearance: 5" / 12.7 cm
Fuel capacity: 3 Imp gal (US); 4 Imp gal (UK & export)
Dry weight: 393 lbs. / 178 kg
LICENSE / REGISTRATION / INSPECTION
- The Triumph has a clean California title and registration (no attempt has been made to start the bike, but it was running fine when it was shut off and there is no reason to believe it will not run)
- The bike has been inspected by the California Highway Patrol who verified the frame / engine numbers and issued a clear, California title
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed or open at very attractive rates.
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet!
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: if the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail. Also, we find telephone conversations are helpful to answer detailed questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, and any questions that you may have regarding Classic Cars Ltd. and our 24+ year history of selling sports and high performance vehicles.
- As with any collectible bike of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history / feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Please keep in mind that this is a totally original race bike in ‽As Raced” condition. Needless to say, it has considerable ‽patina” that makes it a historical treasure.
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the Cars previous owner, or other sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage independent verification of numbers and significant data contained in this listing prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering. We also encourage inspections prior to the end of the auction.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector bike being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector Cars?
- How many positive collector sales have completed
(positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the bike?
- Do the photos show details of the bike, or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a long distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
* Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 24+ years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports Cars and unique vehicles (like this T120C).
* The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free Cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible items from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
* Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 930+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
* We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector bike sales all over the United States/World.
* Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
* We enjoy excellent relationships with a number of transport companies and, as a result, can often times obtain preferred pricing for vehicle shipping. Please give us a call and we will be glad to refer you to suitable transport companies. Needless to say, we would recommend a quality, enclosed transporter that is experience with moving high quality, collectible Cars.
* We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Motorcycle
|Interior Color:||Black Seat|
|Engine:||OHV Twin - Air Cooled
|Transmission: ||4 Speed Manual
|Mileage:||TMU (Total Miles Unknown)
|Actual Race Photos from 1961|
As Raced Condition!
Clear Title Included
Factory Produced Track Racer
Hand Painted "Tear Drops"
| ||Knobby Tires|
Original AMA License of Racer
Original AMA Pin
Original Helmet Included
Photo Documented Race History
UK Documented Production Date
Owner in Center
Original AMA Pin on Vest
Original Envelope From AMA
Competition License Sent by AMA
Original Stencils to Paint Numbers
Original Handmade Stand
What a Piece of History!