1967 MG B GT SOLD
California Born & Raised MGB-GT "Most Desirable Year of the B”
Delivered Within 45 Miles of Our Showroom
Complete Original Documentation
California Car For Over 43 Years!
Factory Primrose Yellow / Black Leather / Chrome Wire Wheels
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please read the OVERVIEW below along with the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the MGB-GT.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with nearly 940+ positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
THE MGB GT
In 1965 a coupe version of the MGB was introduced. The MGB GT was an attractive and functional closed version of the standard body. In appearance, the front end, front and rear wings, and doors were essentially the same as the roadster, but the windscreen was slightly higher to allow for a higher roof line on the car. The roof ran back in gentle curve over the doors and rear side windows before sloping down into the rear panel. In the place of the roadsters small boot lid was a much larger hinged tailgate that provided access to the storage space inside, making it one of the earliest examples of the now popular hatchback car.
Inside, a small rear seat was provided and could be used to carry small passengers. Additionally, the seat could be folded flat to provide a large load platform for luggage, making the GT a really useful two-seat touring car.
The bodywork of the "GT” actually helped the cars performance by the improvement in aerodynamics the roof brought. This gave the GT a slightly higher top speed than the roadster, and also resulted in an improvement in handling. The MGB GT was not only a good looking car, but it offered saloon car comfort levels with a sports cars performance. As a result, the GT became very popular with those who wanted something more civilized than a roadster.
THIS PARTICULAR MGB-GT
We love cars with history and, when it comes to an honest, well documented MGB, this car represents a great example. In 2011 after a documented life in California for 45 years, we had the pleasure of selling this MGB to an out of area buyer. We shipped the car to his summer home where he had plans on using the car as a weekend car. Unfortunately, his international travels precluded his use of the car and he rarely got to the home to enjoy the MGB-GT. The car was maintained by a local repair facility, garaged, and kept in running condition.
Fast forward to 2017, some 7 years later when we received a call. "I've decided to sell the MG, do you have an interest in owning the car again.” In a word…YES! We founded Classic Cars Ltd. 25 years ago and have, since the beginning, offered clean, original, California sports and high performance vehicles. This car is exactly the type of vehicle that we enjoy owning personally, and making available to fellow enthusiasts around the globe.
We have personally owned a number of MGB's and, frankly, we really enjoy these cars in both convertible and coupe GT form. The cars represent a tremendous value, and are not only great fun to drive but truly epitomize the British sports car experience.
Benefits of this particular MGB GT include:
- 1967 being considered "the” year to own by many enthusiasts
- Desirable chrome bumper / steel dash MGB
- Factory 4-speed transmission
- 5 Main Bearing 1800 cc Engine
- Factory Wire Wheel Car (Chrome)
- Period (Dealer added) - Blaupunkt push button AM/FM Short Wave radio
- Beautiful, high quality period wooden steering wheel / aluminum spokes
- Full leather interior
- Authentic period exterior Talbot (fender mounted) mirrors (left & right)
- Front Driving lights with separate toggle switches (functional)
- Added "Amp” gauge below and to the right of steering wheel
- Ansa dual exhaust
When we sold the MGB GT seven years ago, it had 2 previous owners since new. The "B's” owner acquired the car from its original that provided a California registration document reflecting "Delivered in Ca. 1967.” The first owner, an avid British car collector, had the car in his collection until it transferred ownership to the new "caregiver.”
When the MGB-GT transferred ownership to its second owner the cars original owner indicated that the engine had just been rebuilt along with considerable other work. The mileage of 96,xxx was reported as original and the car had also received a relatively new re-paint in its factory color of Primrose yellow (a very common mid-60's color found on Jaguars and other British cars) and a number of additional cosmetic upgrades including; leather interior, chrome wire wheels, and an Ansa rear exhaust pipe.
During the previous 3+ years, the owner of the MGB has taken exceptional care of the MGB-GT following in the footsteps of the cars first owner. The car has, of course, always been garaged and has been used exclusively as a weekend occasional car on clear, sunny Northern California days. It has lived in one of the best climates in the world; inland California, far from the salty roads (and oceans) and other inclement weather that can be so damaging to classic cars.
This MGB is a lovely example with an absolutely beautiful patina that is difficult to describe. As the old saying goes "You can restore a car over and over again but it is only original once.” More and more collectors of classic cars are placing considerable emphasis on the value of originality and, frankly, this car has originality in spades!! As a significant bonus, the car is a limited owner, original ”black plate”, rust free, California car with all of the proper factory and aftermarket options / upgrades. Of course, the MGB carries a clear California title. It is a truly special car and is bound to go to an avid collector / enthusiast that will (hopefully) be the cars "caregiver” for many years to come.
Many sports car enthusiasts believe that MGB's epitomize the classic British sports car. By the 1967, the MGB had very nice performance, handling and was comfortable for longer journey's (unlike the earlier MGTD's, "TC'S”, etc.). Also, the GT version was more structurally more rigid and wasn't plagued with wind noise and rattles like some of the open sports cars. Our European buyers can attest to the popularity of these cars as do our friends in the Midwest and the East Coast who favor them during the cool fall and winter months.
Listed below are additional details on the 1967 MGB features and condition by category along with 100~ photographs of the cars exterior, interior, engine bay and even the underside of the car (to document the lack of rust in the floors, rocker panels, etc.).
A BREAKDOWN OF THE "NUMBERS”
THIS MGB CARRIES THE VIN# GHD3U137556G which decodes as follows:
G / H / D / 3 / 137556
G = MG
H = Leyland Engine
D = GT Coupe
3 = Serial number
U = Standard Transmission
137556 = Car Id Number
Note: Production data accumulated by the MG experience indicates that the beginning 1967 MG carried a # of 108039. Since this 1967 MGB was delivered in 1968 and is believed to be a late 1967, the cars # of 137556 (the first 1968 car # was 138401) supports its late production.
The engine plate (still in place on the right side of the engine) reads 18GB-U-H 60028.
The engine number on the MGB is 18GB-U-H 60028 and decodes as follows:
18 /GB / U / H / 60028
18 = 1800cc
GB = Floor change gearbox
U = Centrally positioned floor gear change
H = High compression engine
Eng. # 60028
ITEMS INCLUDED WITH THE MGB
The "B” comes complete with a number of desirable options/items rarely seen on MGB's of this vintage. Included with the car are the following:
- Clear California Title / Registration
- Original AM (Non Push Button) Radio (installed by Dealer in 1967)
- Original Owner's manual
- Original Blaupunkt radio manuals in case
- Original leaflet showing MGB dealer options that were available when the car was new (something we haven't seen in our 25 years in business)
- Factory spare & jack
BODY / INTERIOR / HARDTOP / TRIM
The body is finished in a beautiful shade of "Primrose Yellow”, one of the classic mid-60's British colors and an especially attractive color on the elegant MGB-GT. Personally, we have always loved this color and it brings back fond memories of our personal Jaguar XKE that was finished in the same color. The car retains its factory original paint in the engine bay and has been re-sprayed in the correct color one time. The MGB has beautiful black interior and black leather seats with white piping. The entire interior is in brilliant condition including the dash, carpet, black trim (door panels, headliner, etc.).
The MGB received a total re-paint several years ago and has had no partial painting or damage since that time. The paint shows very well due in large part to its limited use and being garaged for the large majority of the time and the cars use as an "occasional car.” When re-painted it is apparent that much of the trim was removed / replaced as there is no over-spray and the rubber seals, moldings and other trim are in beautiful condition.
In addition to being very attractive cosmetically, this car has incredibly strong "bones” that suggests that it has never been involved in an accident and the body and chassis are free from rust & rot.
An in-depth inspection of the MGB body reveals a solid chassis and floor pans. There has been no patching of floor boards and the chassis members are rust free, straight and lacking damage. The twin battery boxes (now converted to one 12 volt battery) are intact and solid with only the usual light dusting of typical surface "patina.” The jacking points are rock solid, the rocker panels totally free from rust and the trunk equally solid. The typical rust prone areas (rocker panels, front fenders, rear quarter panels, floors, etc.) are free from rust.
The trunk area is totally straight and free from any rust and completely solid. The MGB is free from any rust through, damage or significant rust. The spare tire well contains a wire wheel (original) spare with a new tire, factory jack and the tool to remove the center knock offs.
The hood and trunk line up well, with even gaps, and close easily and securely. The underside of the hood is clean and free of dirt, oil and grease. The trunk underside is also clean and it fits well, and locks.
The door locks operate properly as does the lock on the glove box door and trunk lock. The hood releases and locks properly using the inside hood release on the left inside of the car.
The exterior trim is in very good condition, as well. The front and rear bumpers have little or no pitting rust or damage and still have a brilliant shine. The other "bright work” is also in very good condition including, but not limited to the window trim, emblems, headlight trim rings, and exterior authentic Talbot mirrors (the glass is showing discoloration). The exterior moldings are free from major damage and the stainless steel side moldings show a few dings, but are all in place and not badly damaged, bent or missing.
The side windows are free from cracks and damage. The front windshield is also free from any cracks, stars or damage. The windshield is free from "wiper marks” or scratches that are caused as a result of damaged but not replaced rubber blades. In fact, this car has the original style chrome / aluminum wipers...a classic touch on a vintage MGB. The chrome surrounding the windshield and other windows is good.
The tires are in good condition and are a matched set of the proper size tires for the MGB. The wheels are the original wire wheel style and have been chromed. They are in beautiful condition and mounted to a matching set of GT Radial tires with excellent remaining tread.
The interior remains in its factory original configuration including the original MGB leather seats in black with white piping. The only minor changes to the interior add considerable character to the MGB and include the following:
- A vintage (form the 1960's / 1970's) 3-spoke wooden wheel (very high quality)
- Classic, dealer added Blaupunkt (functional) AM/FM
Shortwave radio that plays through the original speaker (!)
- A wooden shift knob
- Aluminum door pulls with "wood” trim
- Stainless side door protectors (to protect the door panels when entering / exciting the vehicle).
- Original chrome latch lap belts added (American Safety - Dated 1967)
The interior on the MGB is in truly lovely condition; as nice as we have seen on an MGB-GT. Everything including the front seats, rear seats, door panel, and carpeting are free from rips, tears and signs of wear and tear other than the patina of leather. The interior panels are also in very nice condition and free from damage. The carpeting matches the interior colors (black) and is in beautiful condition. The headliner and sun visors are also excellent and have their original fasteners. This car has been exceptionally well cared for and the interior reflects that care.
Finishing off the interior are MGB logo floor mats to protect the carpeting (shown out of the car to provide the prospective buyer with a feel for the quality of the carpet). The door sills and door jambs are clean and free from dirt and grease.
Of course, the car has the benefit from the early "metal dash”, a feature that is sought after by all MGB collectors/enthusiasts. The vertical portions of the dash are finished in black with the great look of "wrinkle finish.” The top dash pad is in perfect condition, free from any cracks, warping or damage. The door panels, center console, and lower dash "knee kick panel” and other interior components are in lovely condition. The trim and dash surrounds are also excellent and free from damage. All of the gauges are in fully functional condition and reflect readings well within acceptable ranges. The car runs cool and the oil pressure reads 70+ lbs. when the car is warm!
ENGINE & MECHANICAL COMPONENTS
It is refreshing to see an older MGB-GT in this kind of overall condition. When we had the car inspected by an independent repair facility and it passed the California safety inspection. The mechanic commented that this is "A really nice original car that has clearly had recent major work performed to the engine and possibly the transmission / clutch.” The inspections revealed fully a fully functional electrical system down to the really special original Blaupunkt radio that plays through the stock original speaker. Note: the antenna is shown in the partially down position in some of the photos but it does full retract.
Other major items were also inspected and found to be well within acceptable limits. These included brakes, tires, steering / suspension and other major drive-line components. The car passed the California required safety inspection and no rust through was found in the frame or undercarriage.
While the MGB did not accumulate significant miles during this owner's care, it was used for the occasional weekend drives by its very careful, particular owner. When the car was first acquired it was taken to a British car specialist for a "cost no object” assessment and maintenance. It is very important to note that this evaluation occurred at 96,192 (documented by receipts) less than 600 miles ago!! The car received the following services / maintenance:
Inspection and compression test resulting in the following excellent readings that were as follows 1 - 130 lbs. / 2 - 130 lbs. / 3 - 120 lbs. / 135 lbs.
- Complete valve adjustment
- New plugs & wires
- Replace coolant hoses, drain system and add new coolant
- Tighten shock absorber mounting bolts, rear u-bots, shock bolts
- Inspect brakes and replace wheel cylinders
- Adjust & bleed brakes & park brake
- Remove wheels, clean & lube splines and knock-offs
- Top off differential
- Inspect electrical system - Tune up, set timing
- Synchronize carburetors, clean air filters
- Set air pressure in tires & road test
The MGB received yet another oil service and inspection in June, 2009 as a function of time and received:
- A complete oil service
- Address / repair oil leak (new flex hose)
- Replace H2O pump
The, just 50 miles ago, the car went back in for a periodic service and received a 7,500 mile service:
- Oil service
- Lube doors, hood and hatch
- Top off all fluids
- Inspect brakes, battery, and washer
- Remove & lube hubs
- New fuel line
- Add brake fluid
- Test drive and inspect overall running condition
Needless to say, the MGB has received considerable attention over the years. When it was purchased from the original owner, the present owner indicated that he was told that the car had recently had the benefit of a rebuilt engine and possibly transmission (he couldn't recall the details). Based on the appearance of the engine, its strength and the mechanics evaluation, we would certainly believe that this "B” has received a major engine overhaul.
With ongoing maintenance like this, it will come as no surprise that the MGB runs and drives extremely well. As a carbureted model, the car starts immediately whether warm or cold with the use of the choke. The MGB car runs very well and we cannot identify any issues with major components, including; the engine and transmission, rear end, brakes and suspension.
The engine in the car is very strong and it does not smoke, have any unusual noises, or exhibit any problems. There are no major leaks to indicate serious problems and is especially dry for a British car of this vintage (although minor "seeping” is a reality of all vintage British cars!). The MGB idles smoothly at approximately 1000 rpm, and does not hesitate, or have any drivability issues. The car runs cool, even in our 100+ degree California weather and has never overheated or exhibited starting problems.
The transmission is excellent and all of the synchromesh gears function perfectly. There is no excessive noise in the driveline and the clutch engages properly, and without slippage, chattering or fuss. The brakes work well and stop the car straight and sure. The emergency brake holds even on steeper grades.
The engine and engine bay are very tidy and show only the normal amount of accumulation of dirt, but there are no indications of significant oil leakage. We have owned/driven a large number of MGB cars over the years, and can with confidence, say that this is a really nice running/driving car that will provide years of future enjoyment to its new owner.
The MGB is exempt for California smog, one of the strictest in the U.S. While we imagine that it is exempt from virtually all States smog requirements, we ask that you check prior to bidding on the MGB (most states exempt everything 25+ years old and some states (from our experience) do not have any smog requirements.
Of course, the MGB is currently licensed and registered in California and is being sold with a clear, transferable California title. The MGB-GT has always been garaged when not in use and the repair records referenced earlier (along with the cars original owner's manual are included.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 930 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this MGB by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|Transmission: ||4 Speed Manual
Blaupunkt AM/FM Radio
Chrome Wire Wheels
Dual Side Mirrors
Exempt from CA Smog
Factory Wire Wheels
Fold Down Rear Seat
Front Disc Brakes
Front Rubber Mats
Heater / Defroster
Local California "Survivor"
Matching Numbers Engine
| ||Matching Numbers Engine|
Matching Numbers Transmission
Oil Cooler / Fan
Original California Car
Original Sheet Metal
Rear Storage Area
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Front)
Spare Tire & Jack
Wooden Steering Wheel
Yellow & Black CA. Plates