Striking in BRG / Black Leather
1966 MG "B" SOLD
Desirable MKI "Steel Dash” MGB
British Racing Green ("BRG”) / New Black Leather Interior
An Original California Car with Considerable Recent
Mechanical & Cosmetic Improvements
Within 500~ Miles - Completely Rebuilt Engine, Stainless Steel Header / Exhaust, New Leather Interior, Carpet, Restored Dashboard & More!
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the MGB and answer any questions over the telephone, including our ‽Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the MGB can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS MGB, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MGB. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT ‽PHOTO-SHOP” OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 940 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS - "THIS PARTICULAR 1966 MGB CONVERTIBLE
This 1966 MGB convertible was originally sold in California and has spent all but a few years in Northern California. The history of the car indicates that it was delivered new in California, and then sold to a buyer in Arizona after "living” in California for the majority of its life. Approximately 7 years ago, the car returned to its home state of California and has been here ever since.
The "B” has spent its entire life in the Northern part of the state in a dry, inland region or in dry, sunny Arizona. The car remains in virtually stock configuration but has had the benefit of a number of significant upgrades during the past several years. Specifically, within the previous 500~ miles, the car has had the benefit of:
- A complete engine rebuild (Documented by photos) .040 over stock
- New clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch hydraulics / related components
- New starter (high torque with original unit included)
- New distributor (original included)
- New oil cooler & lines
- Converted to spin on oil filter
- Radiator rodded, pressure checked and serviced
- Wire wheels tested / trued & refinished
- New leather seat covers, foam and interior trim
- All gauges removed and complete dash restoration
- New carpet throughout
- Rubber MGB floor mats in front
- Exterior Stainless side trim replaced
The MGB's originality has been faithfully maintained throughout the restoration, resisting the temptation to modernize the MGB. The result is a nice driving MGB that has received costly improvements by a very particular owner. The MGB also comes with the following:
- Owner's Manual (Driver's Handbook)
- Factory original spare
- Factory Jack
- Factory spinner hammer
- Car cover (complete with British flag!)
- MGB Repair manual
- Factory Owner's manual
- 2 bbl. Side draft carburetor and manifold for additional performance should the owner choose to install
- Original miscellaneous bits including factory oil canister (now spin-on), original starter (now high torque) and other small parts
The two data plates on the car read as follows: Car # GHN3L/99231 (right front inner fender) and Body # MGB 090357 (left front inner fender). The engine number plate is in place and consistent with the production year of the car (see below).
Based on data from the North American MGB Register, the Car (VIN) # decodes as follows:
GHN3L / 798185
G = MG
H = Engine Type
N = Body Type (2 Seat Tourer / convertible)
3 = Series Number (3rd Series)
L = Drive (Right or Left) - Left in this case
798185 - Car Production Number
The engine number, 18GB-U-H 31876, was fitted to all MKI cars from October 1964/1967. This plate has the original rivets and appears to be original to the car.
The car has a clear California title and is registered under California license number 6FZL020 through January 2018. Current mileage shown on the car is 589 reflecting the mileages since the engine and other work was done to the MGB. Note: Original black plates are shown on the MGB for display purposes but the car is registered with newer CA plates since the car lost it original black & yellow plates during its brief time in Arizona. California buyers could secure black & yellow plates by taking advantage of one the current California DMV programs.
• Stock 1.8 L 4 cylinder engine w/ dual carburetors
• After market chrome air cleaners w/ MG logos
• Rebuilt radiator
• Stock (new) oil cooler in front of radiator
• 4-speed manual transmission w/ synchromesh 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears
• Stock front disc/rear drum brakes
• Optional 14 inch wire wheels w/ proper MG knock-off hubs
• Correct checked and trued wire wheels with excellent tread tires
• Full size 14” spare tire
• British Racing Green paint with no indication of partial re-painting or accident damage. Shows normal minor cosmetic imperfections but shows very well with high gloss paint (history of one respray in factory BRG)
• Excellent fit of body panels for this era; very straight body lines
• Both doors, the hood and trunk lid open and close easily
• All bright work excellent; side trim is new, front bumper has been re-chromed
• Rear bumper original in "California quality” with no rust or damage
• Very nice front grille
• Includes convertible top w/ clear plastic windows and original top bows still finished in factory gray
• All window glass excellent including wind wings
• Driver's side mirror
• New black leather bucket seat coverings with white piping
• New black carpeting
• Black front rubber floor mats w/ MG logo
• Beautiful, restored black dash pad and black dash
• Excellent black door panels / handles
• Full set of operating stock factory analog gauges
• Proper MG logo steering wheel (Center horn button crazed, functional horn)
• Optional, functional heater/defroster
• Radio/speaker delete panels (no radio) / Radio antenna from a previously
• Both side windows crank easily; both wind wings fold out easily
• Black seat belts
• Fully carpeted rear trunk (Exceptionally solid & rust free underneath carpet) including carpeted spare cover with MG logo
COSMETIC CONDITIONThe extensive photographs reflect the car's condition including the body, paint, engine compartment, interior, trunk and underside.
The highly desirable British Racing Green paint has excellent coverage and very few defects. There are no noticeable body dents or damage. The door bottoms and rocker panels are remarkably solid. All bright work is very nice with new side stainless trim and a new rear bumper. All glass is excellent. The black convertible top has been used minimally, but has a clear rear window, no rips or tears and is complete with the original framework that is in good condition. The wire wheels and knock-off hubs are in fine shape having been recently refinished and trued and the tires have excellent remaining tread.
The all-black interior has fresh leather seating in black with white piping. Recently, a new dash pad was installed and the dash was totally restored, repainted and all gauges cleaned. The gauges are all functional and display excellent readings including 70+ lbs. of oil pressure and cool operating temperatures, even in our warm California climate. The steering wheel a proper MGB unit that is in good condition with a horn button that appears to be original. It shows crazing in the plastic, and could be replaced to match the excellent condition of the remainder of the interior. Door panels, door sills and the recently replaced carpet are all in excellent condition. The engine compartment is tidy and very clean; free from excessive grease, oil and reflective of being well maintained. The chrome MG logo air cleaners add a nice touch.
The trunk is clean and solid and contains a full-size spare in an MG logo cover plus an original jack and a new knock-off hub wrench. Underneath the full carpet is a totally solid, rust free trunk lid and rear panels that show no signs of damage or repair.
The underside of the car has not been detailed but is ‽California clean” and, most important, is free from rust through, rot, and damage.
The MGB starts immediately, idles smoothly and does not overheat. It runs and drives well, cruising comfortably at highway speeds. The engine is strong having been rebuilt within approximately 500 miles, and does not exhibit any issues. There is no smoking, or significant leaking, although as a British car a certain amount of "seeping” is a reality. The MGB has very good power through all of the gears, shifts without issue, and does not hesitate or exhibit drivability problems.
The transmission shifts normally and the clutch engages and does not chatter or make noise. The brakes stop the car straight and sure. The emergency brake is fully functional and holds the car on a relatively steep incline. The steering is tight and precise, and the car offers handling that will leave the driver with a smile for miles to come.
The MGB shows current mileage as 589 reflecting the mileage on the fresh engine, clutch, and other mechanical work. Based on the age of the MGB, we must list the mileage as "TMU" (Total Miles Unknown) due to our inability to accurately verify the mileage on a vehicle that is over 50 years old.
• California smog test not required for vehicles 1975 and older
• Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
• Car cover included
• Includes MGB car repair manual
• Original jack, hammer and spare tire
We are often asked "What does it need"? We deal with a wide range of buyer's ranging from Concourse level judges to those who have never owned a collector car, and everyone in between. It is important to be aware that virtually every car that is 50 years, regardless of its level of restoration or care has, or will have "realities" (issues).
This MGB falls into the category of being an honest, solid car that has received considerable work recently, and over the course of its life. It is in excellent running order and was, and can be used and has proven to be totally reliable. It passed the California safety inspection which evaluates basic safety items like lighting systems, tires, brakes and working windshield wipers. We noted that the front sway bar has been removed although it hasn't had any effect on driving / handling during our 100~ miles of pleasure use. The major components like the engine, clutch, radiator, starter and other key items were freshened when the car received a total engine rebuilt within 500~ miles. The suspension was not done and the front shocks seem a bit soft although no clunking or noise is heard. We were told that the transmission is original and it is 100% functional with characteristic noise in 1st and reverse that goes away in all other gears. Syncros are fine, even the normally weak 2nd gear.
Cosmetically, the interior is beautiful and the exterior high gloss with good panel fit consinstent weith the production era. Windows roll up freely and the top fits well and is undamaged with a clear rear window. THe normal paint wear and minor defects are present but minor to the point where they are not immediately apparent and, in fact, not noticed by casual observers.
The wire wheels are excellent and have been re-done. Chrome and side aluminum trim are good with what appears to be a re-chromed front bumper. The engine bay is tidy and in original configuration with the exception of chrome air cleaners. The trunk is dry with only minor patine and NO rust through or rot. The carpet is not glued down on the floor or side portions and is in average condition. The spare is original as are the jack and spinner hammer.
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1966 MGB
• Engine: 1.8 L, 4 cylinder in-line, single cam, 2 valves per cylinder, pushrod, front mounted
• Carburetion: dual
• Power: 89 hp @ 5,400 rpm
• Torque: 110 lb-ft. @ 3,000 rpm
• Transmission: manual 4 speed, synchromesh top 3 gears
• Drive: Rear wheel
• Brakes: Front- "10.75” discs, Rear- "10” drums
• Weight: 1984 lb.
• Length: 153.5 inches
• Width: 60.2 inches
• Height: 49.6 inches
• Wheelbase: 91.3 inches
• Ground clearance 4.2 inches
• Turning circle 32 feet
HISTORY OF THE MGB
Replacing the MGA in 1962, the MGB is a two-door sports car manufactured and marketed by MG Cars and its successors as a four-cylinder, soft-top roadster from 1962-1980.
Structurally, the MGB was an innovative, modern design in 1962, utilizing a monocoque structure instead of the traditional body-on-frame construction used on both the MGA and MG T-types. The lightweight design reduced manufacturing costs while adding to overall vehicle strength. The MGB was one of the first cars to feature controlled crumple zones designed to protect the driver and passenger in a 30 mph impact with an immovable barrier.
Wind-up windows were standard, and a comfortable driver's compartment offered plenty of legroom. A parcel shelf was fitted behind the seats. The majority of MGBs were exported to United States.
The front suspension and steering were much like the MGA, although there were minor differences. At the rear were the familiar semi-elliptic springs controlled by lever-arm shocks. The engine and transmission were also MGA sourced, but again in an improved state.
Many sports car enthusiasts believe that MGB's epitomize the classic British sports car. By the mid-1960's the MGB had very nice performance, handling and was comfortable for longer journey's (unlike the earlier MGTD's, "TC'S", etc). Also, these cars are not only great fun to drive and economical to operate, they get great mileage. The MGB represents a fuel efficient solution to a fun, affordable and practical sports car.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 940 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this MGB by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Convertible
|Exterior Color:||British Racing Green|
|Interior Color:||Black Leather|
|Transmission: ||4 Speed Manual
California Lic & Reg
Clean California Body
Exempt from CA Smog
Finished / Carpeted Trunk
Fresh Complete Engine Rebuild
Front Disc Brakes
Heater / Defroster
| ||Matching Numbers Engine|
Matching Numbers Transmission
New Stainless Exhaust
No Rust CA. Body
Oil Cooler / Fan
Original California Car
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Front)
Totally Clear Window
Engine Rebuild, Clutch, etc.
Rebuilt <500 Miles
Stainless Headers / Exhaust
Original Fucntional Bows