Beautiful California 560SL
1987 Mercedes 560 SL SOLD
Beautiful California Car Finished in Striking
Signal Red Tan leather & Factory Matching Hardtop
Very Well Maintained with Records & Complete Maintenance History
Fewer than 60,000 Miles on Complete Engine Replacement
Delivered New in Northern California with Long Time Ownership
NOTE: Our listings sometimes get rather lengthy. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (the majority of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read multiple pages of description, we ask that you review the "Specifications" on the car along with viewing the photos. Also, if you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Mercedes 560SL and answer any questions over the telephone, including about our Buy it Now policies. Yes, the Mercedes can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction. Again, give us a call for details.
ALSO, PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THE CAR BUT, WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THE PHOTOS, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A LINK FOR THE PHOTOS (IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING).
Finally, all our photos are taken in a completely natural setting with no artificial lighting or gimmicks. We take considerable pride in our presentation and absolutely NO retouching or ‽Photoshop” work is performed on any of the photos contained in our eBay listing or Website!
CLASSIC CARS LTD.
ABOUT THIS 1987 MERCEDES 560SL
We are regularly asked to locate California "Born & Raised”, original examples of examples of desirable Mercedes "SL" cars, especially the Mercedes 1987-1989 (‽107” cars) Mercedes 560SL, the "SL" (Sports Luxury) that many consider the "Best of the Best" in the class of Mercedes two-seaters. Frankly, many of the "SL" cars on the market today are not cars that we would consider worthy of consideration for our customers that are looking for high quality, pre-owned Mercedes convertibles.
While many of these cars in the market today are offered at "reasonable" prices, the cars often have mechanical issues due to lack of attention by qualified technicians that can result in significant future expenditures; sometimes even in excess of the initial purchase price of the vehicle. We have learned from experience that well maintained "SL" cars can be extremely reliable and provide years of enjoyment and can be acquired at slightly more than those so-called "bargain" cars. It is also important to note that the later 560SL models did not have the poorly designed single timing chain that existed on earlier Mercedes SL (380 SL's) cars that could result in catastrophic engine damage should the timing chain fail.
This Mercedes is a very nice example that has been used as a weekend pleasure car for many years. The 560SL will be of interest to a buyer that is looking for good looking, well maintained example of an SL.
Perhaps most important is the history of repairs / maintenance on this particular Mercedes 560SL. The records reflect not only ongoing regular maintenance, but attention to the smallest item as recommend by the professionals that serviced the Mercedes. Included with the Mercedes are the following documents:
- Owner's Manual
- Factory Spare
- Factory Tools
- Original keys
- Many Extras!
This Mercedes is finished in "Signal Red" with lovely contrasting "Palomino” leather interior. The car has an extensive maintenance history and has traveled an average of fewer than 4,500 miles per year over the course of its life in Northern California. The car is in truly very nice condition having received the cosmetic and mechanical attention that it deserves by its careful, conscientious owners. While the maintenance history is too lengthy to list item by item, we will provide a summary later in this listing. We should mention that the car has been adult owned / driven and has never had deferred maintenance.
Consider the extensive list of features of the 560SL Mercedes........
- Automatic 4 Speed Transmission
- Power Steering
- Cruise Control
- Climate Control Air Conditioning (functional)
- Transistorized Ignition
- Central Locking System
- Fully Independent Suspension
- Electric Windows
- Center arm rest
- Steel Belted Radial Tires
- Tinted Glass
- Electronically Heated Rear Window on Hardtop
- Electronic AM/FM CD Radio & Automatic Antenna
- 2 Speed Wipers with Mist Control
- Light Alloy Wheels
- Adjustable Front Bucket Seats
- Outside Mirrors
- Factory Halogen Fog Lights
- Color Coordinated, replace high quality matching trunk carpet
- California Emission Control Equipment (The Strictest in the Country)
THIS PARTICULAR 1987 MERCEDES 560SL - CONDITION
This Mercedes has been incredibly well cared for and still has the following:
- Lovely exterior with high gloss, even paint and no reports or indication of partial re-painting / touch-up since the car received a complete re-paint in its original factory color
- Extremely nice matching red factory hardtop with tan headliner (refer to photos)
- Black canvas convertible top (headliner showing signs of age but rear windows clear)
- Original, stock steering wheel
- Beautiful factory correct wheels
- Original jack, tools & spare
- Documentation of its Northern California history
- Very clean, professionally owned with original engine, tidy engine bay & beautiful trunk area (Refer to Photos)
- Serviced by Mercedes Benz and Mercedes Benz specialists
- Dry, free from rust through, rot or body damage throughout including; trunk, rust or other rust in the typical areas (Rocker panels, engine bay, and door sills) seen on Midwest / East Coast cars
The owners of the Mercedes, including the current owner, was a VERY particular owner, and has maintained the Mercedes to the highest standards in order to ensure reliability and great appearance at all times. The Mercedes was used as a weekend car and received limited but regular use to ensure that it was in 100% operational condition at all times.
The Mercedes will be sold (to California buyers) with a current smog certificate and was last smogged in 2017. For California buyers, the 560SL is registered until March, 2018.
The 560SL is virtually 100% stock including the original factory hard top that is in beautiful condition. There are a few upgrades and additional items that are included with the Mercedes that can be seen in our photos. They include:
- Upgraded AM/FM CD radio
- Hardtop hoist to raise / store the hardtop in the garage
- Quality car cover
- Cockpit cover (to cover the interior when the car is parked outside or inside to act as a dust/sun cover)
- Sun shades to protect both sides of the dashboard
The Mercedes 560SL's paint is in very good condition and, of course, the Mercedes has always been garaged when not in use. The car is totally free from any rust both external and, as the undercarriage photos reflect, on the underside, suspension and other components.
The 560SL exterior is truly in lovely condition including the "bright work", rubber trim and other exterior parts. Additionally, the Mercedes is free from minor flaws, characteristic with a limited use vehicle of this age
The body is straight and the sides of the doors are free from even door dings. The body itself is free from dents and other damage. The bumpers are straight, free from damage, and the chrome is very nice "California quality.” Also, inspection of the other exterior parts of the car (emblems, grill, trim, etc.) shows them to be in excellent, original condition.
The convertible top on the Mercedes functions properly (so many cars that we have suffer from stretched release cables and other issues) and has a clear window. The top raises and folds easily, and latches properly. It seals well, although this particular car has been used almost exclusively with the top down, or with the hardtop in place. Please pay particular attention to the close up photos of the top. The underside (‽headliner) is showing signs of age and some deterioration of fabric). Unlike many SL tops that are full of scratches and even damaged aluminum trim (from taking them on and off improperly), this one has only minimal scratches that can hardly be noticed.
The doors, hood, and trunk gaps are very good and close / lock securely. The doors do not sag, and the hinges are solid and rust free. The undersides of the hood and trunk are free from rust, dirt and grease and in excellent condition. The entire engine bay retains its original color paint, as does the trunk. The engine has not been cleaned up for the photographs but as a result of ongoing maintenance is clean and free from excessive dirt/grease build-up. The underside of the car is free from any significant oil, grease, rust, or damage.
The glass on the car is free from cracks, or damage. The power windows are fully functional. The front windshield is free from any cracks, and with the exception of a very minor "star" that is not in the line of vision and hasn't spread in 5+ years, free from damage. All of the lenses, lights are free from cracks and damage and 100% functional.
The interior on this Mercedes is excellent and the seats have been recovered in the correct factory style leather. The driver's side seat is even free from the typical damage that we see on many SL Mercedes cars. There virtually no damage or signs of wear on the seats, door panels, or other interior areas. The carpet is excellent and covered with high quality Mercedes logo mats and plastic floor mats are included (not shown) for even further protection. The leather is in beautiful condition on all of the seating surfaces.
The seats are structurally very solid and does not sag or appear unsightly in any way. There is no fading on the seats, dash or other interior areas. From the seats to the dash, door panels and carpeting, everything has been well cared for, or replaced, and there is little to no wear on virtually every part of the interior of the car. The interior has held up very well and even the wood trim only shows minimal signs of crazing from age. A wooden Mercedes shift knob has been added to match the wood on the console. The photos will provide the prospective buyer with an accurate depiction of the quality of the interior including the center console, instruments, dash, seats, carpet, and other portions of the interior.
This 560SL has the benefit of being fitted with two rear seats that can be used for small children. It is fitted with two lap belts and, of course, also has use for storage of packages, etc. We rarely see this option but it can be useful for the occasional local family drive on a nice day.
The interior is in its original configuration, including the steering wheel with functional horn, gauges, seats, etc. Even the factory clock works! The radio has been upgraded to an improved Pioneer DEH-X4700BT with front and rear speakers. The rear speakers are mounted in the area behind the front seats to allow for better sound while the car is being used with the top down. The power antenna is functional.
Not only are the gauges 100% functional, they display positive readings. The monitoring gauges are all original, with clear lenses, and are free from cracks and cloudiness. The glove box fits well, and locks.
We have a history of representing sports and high performance cars that enjoy the benefit of extensive and thoroughly documented repair history along with original delivery documents. We agree with our customers that place considerable emphasis on finding a car with this information as it is generally evidence that a car has received excellent maintenance. Well, the service history (as recommended by the Mercedes Benz factory) on this 560SL couldn't be any better. Please refer to the photos to get a feel for the comprehensive service records (history) that will be provided to the cars new owner.
Frankly, it would take hours to detail the repair history on this car that dates back to the first owner. However, the file contains documents almost obsessive ongoing maintenance and preventive ‽cost no object” car. It also shows a chronological history leading up to the cars current mileage with no indication of a speedometer replacement or malfunction. To provide the reader with an idea of the owner's commitment to maintenance, the following represents a summary of the past few years. Note that with ongoing care, knowledgeable Mercedes mechanics agree that these cars are good for many hundreds of thousands of miles.
The following summary is listed chronologically with the most recent service / repair shown first:
500 Miles Ago - New fuel injectors, fuel injector seal & holder, air distributor hose, air cleaner mount - Check condition of tune, check cam timing, exhaust back pressure, ignition system and secondary ignition
5/5/17 - New sun-visor clips
<1,000 Miles - Timing chain replacement including chain, link, tensioner, gaskets, seals, etc. - New coolant
- Replace water pump
- Replace drive belt - air conditioner
- Replace drive belt - air pump
- Replace drive belt - alternator
- Replace drive belt - power steering
- New radiator hoses - upper & lower
- New windshield washer pump
3/17/17 - Passed smog <2,000 miles ago
- Replace power mirror switch
7/2016 - New tail light seals (Left & right)
- New Inner door covering
Within 5,000~ miles
- New catalytic converter & rear muffler
- Complete air conditioner service, add Freon, check vents, replace A/C switch - repair climate control system to make completely functional
- Complete oil service, safety inspection, brakes good, and tires good.
- New mirror knob, mirror triangle (left & right sides), new deck lid chrome Mercedes star
- Replacement front door panels and door boards in Palomino
- Front end alignment
Within 7,500 miles
- New sub-frame bushings
- New steering damper
- Replace ball joints
- Replace engine mounts
- New power steering return hose and transmission hoses
- Replacement battery
- Complete tune-up - Oil service, spark plugs, lubrication, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When the Mercedes had 124,825 miles, it received a replacement engine with 74,000 miles on it. The replacement is documented by an invoice and was warranted.
As we mentioned, the history of repairs is so extensive that it is impractical to list in detail. However, the file shows comprehensive maintenance information dating back to the cars original owner.
We feel strongly that documentation of repair history is extremely important when it comes to Mercedes cars (and other fine European vehicles). Unfortunately, all too often we see cars that have not been maintained in accordance with the recommended Mercedes Benz service schedule.
The cars drivability reflects the considerable care that the Mercedes has received during its lifetime in California. The car starts immediately under all conditions, and runs cool, even in the 100+ degree weather in Northern California. The idle is smooth and the car has been totally reliable. The Mercedes has excellent power, stops and steers straight and does not pull, or wander. Factory 4 wheel disc brakes ensure that the car stops straight and sure. The parking brake works and is properly adjusted.
The transmission is free from any issues and there are no signs of slipping, noise, or shifting issues. The remainder of the cars drive-line components is equally as good.
The gauges tell the story when it comes to the cars mechanical strength. The oil pressure reads well in excess of 50 lbs. of pressure (even when cold), the temperature gauge stays in the lower/middle few hash marks (even on very warm, California days), and the charging system is excellent.
The air conditioning is fully functional and blows much colder than most of the SL cars that we have had. Also, the climate control / heating & defrosting system is completely functional.
The spare is the original factory spare. The original tools and jack can be found in the trunk and an owner's manual is included along with the extensive maintenance history.
Finally, an inspection of the undercarriage of the car indicates that the car is free from any leaks and accumulated oil, grease, rust, or damage and is totally free from rust (please refer to online photos).
HISTORY OF THE MERCEDES 560SL
The Mercedes-Benz 560SL was launched in 1985 and available as a convertible coupe. It was a luxury sports car that had a Type 107 body shell that had made its appearance in 1970 on the 350SL. The 560SL was created for the American market, with its overhead-camshaft V8 engine that produced an astounding (for the day!) 277 horsepower. Zero-to-sixty was achieved in less than eight seconds and top speed was 140 MPH. These are certainly very impressive statistics for a luxury / sports car of this generation.
Standard equipment included a limited slip differential, revised steering geometry, leather upholstery, anti-lock braking, anti-theft alarm system, leather trimmed steering wheel and shift lever, stereo radio-cassette, and an improved climate control system. Most cars were fitted with the optional, high quality removable hard-top that offered the flexibility of a convertible or hard-top.
For 1987, the car carried a sticker price of over $50,000.00. The 560SL is considered one of the premier sport / luxury cars and included numerous standard equipment items. Of course, it was produced by Mercedes Benz, a company with a long standing reputation for its racing pedigree and commitment to style, performance, and refinement.
* We encourage telephone calls to discuss in greater details the condition/specifics of this Mercedes .It is truly difficult to fully describe, in writing, the high quality of this particular Mercedes 560 SL and some of the small things that sets it apart from other "average to good" condition Mercedes cars.
* We will be glad to discuss a sale of the car prior to the end of the listing on eBay, and ask that interested parties call us at 925-846-1451 for additional information/specifics.
* The Mercedes includes the factory hardtop along with a quality car cover (not shown in the photos)
* As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet!
* In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state.
IMPORTANT NOTE: if the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
* While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you. Also, we encourage pre-inspections but ask that you contact us in advance since we are often times away from our offices.
* As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
* Please keep in mind that, as with any used vehicle, minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present that add to the "patina" of the car and are a part of even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector car being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
* Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
* The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
* Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 930+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
* We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
* Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
* We enjoy excellent relationships with a number of transport companies and, as a result, can often times obtain preferred pricing for vehicle shipping. Please give us a call and we will be glad to refer you to suitable transport companies. Needless to say, we would recommend a quality, enclosed transporter that is experience with moving high quality, collectible cars.
* We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Convertible / Hardtop
|Exterior Color:||Signal Red|
|Interior Color:||Palomino Leather|
|3-Point Seat Belts|
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
California Lic & Reg
Clear Title Included
Convertible Boot Cover
Factory Bucket Seats
Factory Console / Automatic
Factory Mercedes Hardtop
Finished / Carpeted Trunk
Front Rubber Mats
| ||Leather Seats|
New Interior (seats)
No Rust CA. Body
Original California Car
Original Jack & Tools
Original Owners Manual
Rear Seat Belts
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Frt. & Rear)
Sway Bars (Front & Rear)
Newer Stock Leather Interior
Windscren, Car & Cockpit Cover