1966 MG "B"
Restored by Darrin's MG Service Southern California Within 3,000 Miles!
One Family Owned - Original California Car
Desirable Later MKI MGB, Chrome Wire Wheels & Mounted Convertible Top
Finished in Desirable Tartan Red w/ Black Leather Interior
& Black Convertible Top
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please read the OVERVIEW below along with the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the MGB and answer any questions over the telephone, including our ‽Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the MGB can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS MGB, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MGB. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT ‽PHOTO-SHOP” OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with 930 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
OVERVIEW - "THIS PARTICULAR 1966 MGB
This 1966 MGB was delivered new in Northern California and was cherished by Mr. K until he passed away approximately 10 years ago. At that time the original owner's son was willed the MGB and has owned the car ever since. So, this ‽B” has been owned by one family since new! The car carries its original, correct number sequence black/yellow plates and indication of ‽Date First Registered 1966” on the registration. Both of these support the cars lifelong history in Northern California along with the totally credible information from the owner's son and current "caregiver” of the MGB.
When the son acquired the car, it was in original, but well cared for condition. In memory of his father, he decided to have the car restored. He researched California MG specialists, and shipped the car to well know experts in Southern California (Darrin's MG Service, Chatsworth, CA) to have the car completely gone through and after a comprehensive evaluation took their advice relative to the cars needs and bring it up to its former glory. As an aside, Darrin's is well known for MG restorations and has been providing services to MG enthusiasts and collectors for over 25 years.
The cost of the effort was approximately $20,000.00 and a detailed receipt from Darrin's documents the restoration of the MGB. Subsequent to the work by Darrin's the car has received ongoing maintenance including a complete oil service, brake work within the previous 1,000 miles. The most recent inspection indicates that the MGB runs and drives fine and has 60% remaining brakes. Recommendations were for the car to receive a 30,000 mile service (in another 2,800 miles) involving an oil change and lube.
The later model MGB MKI's had several advantages and this car has a few additional upgrades in addition. Specifically, they include:
• Factory "steel dash” (only on cars until 1967)
• Stronger 4-main bearing engine
• Original dealer added (at time of delivery) AM
• Upgraded chrome, factory correct wire wheels with spinners/knock offs
• Converted to a permanently mounted convertible top (not the factory ‽build it top” that was cumbersome and difficult to deal with and store
• Factory original wire wheel spare
• Fully carpeted trunk including a carpeted spare tire cover
• Original speaker container & ‽MG” radio blank out plate (No radio or antenna)
The owner says the car was a very straight, rust free example prior to the restoration but had faded original Tartan Red paint. The car was painted in its original, proper color and received new chrome, rubber trim and a host of other cosmetic improvements.
Major features of this MKI MGB include:
• 1.8 L 4 cylinder engine w/ dual SU carburetors
• Factory Syncromesh (2nd - 4th) transmission
• Stock engine compartment
• 4 speed manual transmission
• Like new tread, matching (4) radial tires mounted on chrome factory MGB wheels
• Extremely straight body, new or NOS ‽bright-work” & trim
• High quality, high gloss Tartan Red paint
• Very nice panel fit including both doors, hood (slightly up on one side but NO signs of accident damage and attributable to production standards of the era).
• Beautiful chrome and exterior bright-work
• Like New quality black convertible top w/ clear windows
• Front chrome clasp seat belts
• Clean and correctly configured engine compartment
• Excellent black leather, original dash and door panels in very nice condition
• Original "wrinkle finish” dash (even and nice ‽wrinkle”!)
• Beautiful carpet including MG logo, quality carpeted mats
• Vintage Racemark wooden wheel (Stock wheels easily available and can be returned to stock, but a nice wheel for driving!) Also, accommodates larger drivers since the wheel is slightly smaller in diameter.
• Functional heater and defroster
• Carpeted trunk including spare tire w/ custom cover
• MGB shop manuals included
• History of being a California delivered new 1966!
This MGB is titled as a 1966 with the car # (VIN#) of: GHN3L80381
Based on data from the North American MGB Register, the Car (VIN) # decodes as follows:
GHN3L / 76154
G = MG
H = Engine Type
N = Body Type (2 Seat Tourer / convertible)
3 = Series Number (3rd Series)
L = Drive (Right or Left) - Left in this case
76154 = Car Production Number
• Stock 1.8 L 4 cylinder engine w/ dual SU carburetors
• Runs and drives very well
• 4 speed manual transmission
• Rebuilt suspension <3,000 miles
• Stock front disc/rear drum brakes
• Tidy engine compartment
• No significant engine leaks/drips
• Beautiful chrome wire wheels
• Excellent tread (like new) tires
• Full factory correct 14” spare wire wheel
• Car Cover
• Lovely, professional, high quality Tartan Red paint (original color)
• Excellent fit of body panels for this era
• Both doors open and close smartly
• NO "Crack of Doom” (Characteristic door crack at the top forward part of the door)
• Virtually all bright work excellent and re-plated, or replaced
• Very good black convertible top permanently mounted for increased ease of use
• All window glass excellent including wing (vent) wings
• All window felts and "rubbers" replaced
• New door, trunk and other rubber trim and moldings
• Dual fender mounted, period style chrome rear view mirrors
• Beautiful leather seats, free from damage
• Excellent carpeting
• Factory correct, functional gauges (fuel gauge not working at this time, but was!)
• Stock, original & correctly configured dash / proper ‽wrinkle finish”
• Lovely black door panels
• All new door felts, rubbers, etc.
• Beautiful 3-spoke wooden wheel
• Functional Heater/defroster
• Original dealer installed
• Original speaker box (no speaker or antenna( MG is not fitted with a radio)
• Damage free, clear windshield
• Side windows both roll nicely
• Black seat belts with chrome clasp (period style)
As a result of the car receiving considerable cosmetic attention during the restoration, the MGB is in absolutely striking cosmetic condition both inside and out and is certainly a car that can be proudly displayed at any British or other car show in your area.
The extensive photographs reflect the car's condition including the body, paint, engine compartment, interior, trunk and underside. There are no indications of previous accident damage or replacement of body panels. Close inspection of the MGB shows the car's original welds in place in the front hood area and a totally straight, rust free undercarriage / chassis. Perhaps most important, the MGB began as a very honest, straight and solid cars.
The MGB starts immediately, idles smoothly and does not overheat. It runs and drives very well, cruising comfortably at highway speeds. The engine does not exhibit any issues. There is no smoking, engine leaking, or unusual noise in the transmission and drive-line components. The MGB has good power and shift up through the gears with no problem. These MG's did not have a first gear "syncro” and on downshifts this car has a notchy 2nd gear if attempts are made to put it into second at high speeds. Experienced British sports car enthusiasts will appreciate that vintage MG's cannot be driven / shifted in a similar manner to a new manual shift car. That said; the "B" is a pleasure to drive!
The transmission shifts very well and the clutch engages properly and does not chatter or make noise. The brakes are properly adjusted and are well within acceptable limits (well over 6mm). Having front disc brakes, the car stops straight and sure. The emergency brake is fully functional and holds the car on a relatively steep incline. The steering is tight and precise and the car offers handling that will leave the driver with a smile for miles to come.
The MGB shows current mileage as 27,213 and the cars owner has stated that the mileage is not known as his dad owned the car for so many years (over 40!). However, the odometer and speedometer are function but since the mileage cannot be accurately stated, we are listing the car as TMU (Total Miles Unknown).
• Passed the California required safety inspection with no findings. This includes functional wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, tires, and suspension components.
• Receipts for the restoration and other work totaling in excess of $20,000.00
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1966 MGB
• Engine: 1.8 L, 4 cylinder in-line, single cam, 2 valves per cylinder, pushrod, front mounted
• Carburetion: dual SU HS-4
• Power: 95~ hp @ 5,400 rpm
• Torque: 110 lb-ft. @ 3,000 rpm
• Transmission: manual 4 speed, synchromesh top 3 gears
• Drive: rear wheel
• Brakes: front- 10.75” discs, rear- 10” drums
• Weight: 1984 lb.
• Length: 153.5 inches
• Width: 60.2 inches
• Height: 49.6 inches
• Wheelbase: 91.3 inches
• Ground clearance 4.2 inches
• Turning circle 32 feet
HISTORY OF THE MGB
When the MGB was introduced in 1962, it was a two-seat open roadster with squared-off styling in the MG Midget mold. It had a pancake-style rear hinged hood, full width grille, scalloped recesses for the headlights in the tops of the front fenders, a separate trunk with a hinged lid, and canted rear lights in the ends of the rear fenders. The windshield was curved, there was a removable soft-top, and the doors had roll-up windows with hinged vent windows.
The MGB was actually a bit shorter than the MGA, but the design was such that MG had managed to make the cockpit roomier which allowed larger, more comfortable seats to be added. Both the driver and passenger had bucket seats, and full instrumentation was provided.
A year later in 1966, among the options offered for the MGB were an overdrive for the transmission, center hub mounted wire wheels, and a folding soft-top that could be stowed behind the seats. In 1964 a new bottom-end for the engine, derived from the BMC 1800, was fitted.
In the tradition of the earlier MG sports cars, the MGA had been built with a separate chassis to provide support and strength to the car and to carry all the mechanical components and the body. By the end of the 1950's however, methods of car construction had progressed, and the days of the separate chassis were almost over. Unitary construction was now the name of the game, whereby a cleverly designed body shell constructed from a number of metal panels with a reinforced floor pan, provided mountings for all the mechanical components and absorbed all the loads from the suspension etc. The advantage of this type of construction was that it produced a much lighter car, which has obvious performance benefits for a sports car.
Hence, the MGB was to be built of unitary construction. At the front, the front panel, the inner fender panels and firewall formed one box; in the midsection, the firewall, cockpit floor and cowl formed another; while at the rear, the inner fenders, trunk floor, and rear panels formed another. Box section strengthening pieces were added to the floor to stiffen it and provide mountings for the rear suspension, while additional box sections ran along the bottoms of the front inner fenders for the engine and suspension mountings.
The front suspension and steering were much like the MGA, although there were minor differences. At the rear were the familiar semi-elliptic springs controlled by lever-arm shocks. The engine and transmission were also MGA sourced, but again in an improved state.
Many sports car enthusiasts believe that MGB's epitomize the classic British sports car. By the mid-1960's the MGB had very nice performance, handling and was comfortable for longer journey's (unlike the earlier MGTD's, "TC'S", etc). Also, these cars are not only great fun to drive and economical to operate, they get great mileage. The MGB represents a fuel efficient solution to a fun, affordable and practical sports car.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 21 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing 930 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail. Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this MGB by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors prior to the end of the auction to ensure that your evaluation of the cars condition is consistent with our evaluation. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Cosmetic and mechanical issues/flaws can exist on virtually any vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- We make efforts to ensure that the information contained in this description is accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner(s) or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Convertible
|Exterior Color:||Tartan Red|
|Interior Color:||Black Leather|
|Transmission: ||4 Speed Manual
|"Black Plate" California Car|
Alloy Valve Cover
Chrome Factory Wire Wheels
Dual Side Mirrors
Exempt from CA Smog
Finished / Carpeted Trunk
Front Disc Brakes
Heater / Defroster
Instrument Panel Dash Pad
| ||Leather Seats|
No Rust CA. Body
Oil Cooler / Fan
Original California Car
Period AM Radio
Rear Storage Area
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Front)