1964 Fiat 600
1964 "Suicide Door” Fiat 600
Lifelong California Black Plate California Car / Clear Title
Extremely Solid, Running / Driving Example with Great Potential!
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our company. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Fiat and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Fiat 600 can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
Please note: Each time we list a vehicle on eBay, we receive comments that there are no photos of the interior, engine, undercarriage, etc. of the car. There are a large number of photos of all areas of this Fiat, but when you reach what appears to be the last photo, you will need to scroll down on eBay to view the remaining photos. If you are still unable to see them, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we will provide a direct link. Note: It is a violation of eBay policy for us to list the URL on the eBay listing. Please let us know if you would like additional photos of any part of the Fiat. All of our photos are taken in natural light and we do not "Photo-Shop” or touch-up the photos in any way.
This unique example is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 930 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
FIAT 600 HISTORY
Introduced in 1955 as a replacement to the Fiat Topolino, the Fiat 600 was produced from 1955 to 1969, during which time over 1.5 million cars were produced. Unlike its predecessor, the car was designed to accommodate 4 people and, with its 4 cylinder engine, be capable of speeds in excess of 65 mph. The Fiat was a perfect choice for a "City Car” measuring just over 10.5 feet in length and 4.5" wide. To say it was fuel efficient would be an understatement, achieving a 45+ mpg rating.
Today, locating a solid, original, and rust free 600 has become increasingly difficult, in part, as a result of the high volume of cars that did not survive in ‽rust zones” around the globe. The Fiat 600's remained similar in configuration over the course of time with only minimal changes to the grills and front bumpers and trim. The more desirable cars are the 600's with ‽suicide doors‽(hinged at the rear, not the front as traditional cars today) are those typically produced prior to the 1960's when the configuration of the doors was changed. Today, "suicide doors” (have become popular after a long absence and can be found on the Rolls Royce Phantom, and custom manufactured automobiles).
THIS PARTICULAR FIAT 600
This 1964 Fiat 600 has reportedly covered 67,537 miles since new although considering it has survived for over 53 years, the mileage obviously cannot be documented and must be represented as TMU (Total Miles Unknown). The original ID plate is in place identifying the car as chassis # 1819487 with engine # 100D 000. The chassis number stamped on the rear compartment ‽firewall” matches the plate chassis # and the plate appears to be 100% original / authentic, as do the Phillips head fastening screws. The paint code on the trim tag is #115 (Body) & #115 (Top) which, according to our information, decodes to ‽Fiat Red” and supports that the car has always been red. Finally, the car retains its original and desirable black and yellow plates with the proper number sequence for 1964, documenting its long California life. The Fiat carries a clean, transferable California title.
Unlike many examples, the car remains in "un-cut” and unaltered condition from a mechanical perspective. While some components are missing (primarily interior parts), the car retains many of its original factory items. The car has very good panel fit with doors that close solid and easily, proper hood with release that works, and a rear deck lid that closes well and releases with the original handle. Later in the listing, we will describe some of things that would improve the overall condition of the Fiat.
Prior to our ownership, the Fiat had been stored in a dry, enclosed warehouse for many years and was owned by the previous owner for 30~ years. When it brought back to running condition, the cars owner did considerable work on the car. The Fiat reportedly had considerable work done as reported by the credible owner. It included:
- A totally rebuilt engine (no smoke, leaking)
- Thorough cleaning of fuel system including the fuel tank, filter, fuel lines and a new carburetor
- Freshly tuned with valve adjusted after break-in period and oil service
- Replace air cleaner element
- R&R radiator, repair, clean add new coolant
- Brand new tires (4) Note: spare wheel included with no tire mounted
- New safety glass front windshield and rubber trim
- New (un-installed. But included) one piece black carpet
- Braking system checked with rebuilt components as needed / parking brake works
- Registered in California with original and proper sequence license plate of ANE 086
- Interior dyed black (front & rear)
The car is retains its original instrument cluster and what appears to be the original dash switches, lights and other items including the rear view mirror. The original ash tray mounted in the center of the dash. The dash and the entire interior can be seen in the numerous interior photos. The dash is in good condition and the switches and the dash is in good original condition reflecting the patina of a 50+ year old car. The generator warning light is functional, and the wipers work, as do the headlights.
The Fiat is in very solid condition with no indication of previous significant accident or undercarriage accident or other damage. The inner areas and support in the front trunk and rear engine compartment are not rusted, are straight, retaining factory welds. The "600” has very good body panel fit and has been re-sprayed in its original color, or a color that is very close to factory. Paint quality is average but no attempt has been made to color sand, or machine polish the Fiat. We imagine that it could be brought to the next level with those efforts. Also, should the new owner decide to repaint the car at some point, it doesn't get much more straightforward when it comes to painting a car this size and with minimal trim.
The rear seats appear to be original to the car but the front seats are later model (with head rests) from an unknown vehicle. Both front and rear seats have been dyed black. The driver's side seat is mounted on adjustable tracks while the passenger side seat is not mounted but rails are included. Photos reflect the solid floor pan that appears to have had professional repairs many years ago but is solid as a rock and the drain holes are present and not rusted /damaged. The underside shows only a light dusting of surface rust, but absolutely no rust-through (refer to undercarriage photos). The rear areas behind the seats (typically rusted away) are very solid. Photos show the passenger seat out of the car and the rear floor areas.
The Fiat starts, runs and drives. In fact, even after sitting for a considerable length of time, it fires up instantly with a pull of the floor mounted choke, and using the floor pull starter to engage the starter. The brakes are good including a functional e-brake, the clutch engages properly and the car shifts through all of the gears, including reverse. The car is nimble with precise steering. The "600” has an engine that does not leak, smoke and runs well. We attribute this to the indication that the engine has been rebuilt. The Fiat is an excellent choice for use around town, and is geared in such as a way as to provide peppy performance from its reliable 4 cylinder engine. The engine, clutch and transmission, show no signs of problems and the Fiats electrical system is functional including working headlights, turn signals, wipers and brake lights.
We have spent time driving this car in our neighborhood and to see it attracts attention is a major understatement. The benefit to this car is clearly the lack of rust and straight body, in addition to its mechanical condition.
Some additional details and "Pros & Cons” include the following:
- The exterior body is quite straight and there are no indications of current or previous accident damage. The front trunk mounts and spare tire area has no rust or damage.
- The rear engine compartment is VERY clean. There is no damage to the rear bumper supports or inner areas of the engine bay (refer to photos).
- The car hasn't been used much but it starts, drives, had good brakes, steering, clutch and transmission and no unusual drive-line noises
- The electrical system (headlights, tail lights, wipers and brake lights are functional.
- The speedometer works as does the odometer
- A jack (appears to be original) and a spare (not mounted to a wheel) are included
- Tires are new with only have a few hundred miles and can be difficult to source
- Wheel covers are in place (4) along with original wheels
- Rear seats appear to be original and have been dyed black (fabric insets with vinyl outer edges). The front seats are clearly not original based on their style and presence of headrests. The driver's side seat is mounted to the floor on an adjustable frame while the passenger seat is loose with the rails mounted to the seat. It could be easily fastened if these seats are to be retained.
- Front visors are in place but there is no headliner
- New uninstalled one piece carpeting is included
- An original spare (unmounted) and jack / jack handle come with the car
- The car has no front side glass and the glass is not included. The front windshield (new), rear window, and rear side-lite glass are in place. The window trim is there and in good condition.
- The aluminum side trim was removed and mounting holes remain in the body. We have some, possibly all of the trim, and everything we have goes with the car. A silver strip (removable) covers the holes and runs from the front fender to the rear of the front door.
- Because the car has been sitting for some time, it will need to be gone through to determine its specific needs, possible safety issues that we are unaware of, and a complete assessment of work to be done depending on the new owner's use of the Fiat.
This Fiat 600 could be used in a number of ways. It could be returned to stock condition / configuration with some attention to the cosmetics. Or, as we contemplated, it would be an ideal car for an Abarth replica or fast street / rally car. Many Fiat 600's are upgraded to the 850cc block and components and we have several bare aluminum 850cc blocks that we are including. Finally, the car would make a wonderful advertising car for a small restaurant or business with your logo emblazoned on the side, or wrapped with your information.
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 930 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Fiat by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|Transmission: ||4 Speed Manual
|Mileage:||TMU (Total Miles Unknown)
|"Black Plate" California Car|
| ||Clear Title Included|
Exempt from CA Smog
SOlid Batttery Box / Surface Rust
Very Solid Floor Pans
Solid Floors (Prof Rust Repair)
Front Trunk - VERY Solid
Fuel System Gone Through
No Damage / Rust Nose
Note Bumper Supports