1982 Fiat 2000 Spider
Desirable Late Model 1982 Fiat Spider 2000
Beautifully Restored with Considerable Improvements & Upgraded!
California Car Complete with Maintenance / Repair Documentation
Low Mileage with Cost No Object Maintenance
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE 100~ PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THE FIAT SPIDER BUT, WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING
CLASSIC CARS LTD.
(925) 846 1451
INTRODUCTION TO CLASSIC CARS LTD. eBay AUCTIONS
Thank you for visiting our eBay auction. We appreciate your interest in the Fiat Spider, and feel that it is important that we provide some basic information relative to our business philosophy and utilization of eBay to offer our collectible & classic vehicles to a worldwide audience.
For 25 years, Classic Cars Ltd. has operated a "brick & mortar" showroom located in Pleasanton, CA. just outside of San Francisco California. We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers who have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily!) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our lifetime eBay feedback is 100% positive on all sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
While we have had comments about the length of our narrative on each vehicle, most serious buyers appreciate the detailed photographs and descriptions and believe that "more is better." However, if you are looking for a brief summary of the vehicle, please view the photographs and scroll to the very bottom of the listing where you will find a summary of the car for sale including; Make, model, mileage, specifications, etc.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
THIS 1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000 CONVERTIBLE - INTRODUCTION
Frankly, we have a history with Fiat Spider's that goes back more years than we care to admit. Our owner purchased an early Fiat Spider as his first car after college graduation. The car, only a few years old at the time, was already showing significant rocker panel rust and rust behind the lower quarter panels as a result of the harsh Chicago climate.
Unlike Fiat's that ‽grew-up” in parts of the country that used salt on the road and had severe winters, this particular Fiat is a California car that was delivered new in California, and has remained in the state ever since. The Fiat is well documented including considerable maintenance / repair receipts from the current owner who purchased the car from us in 2010. Since that time, the car has been used strictly as a pleasure, weekend car, in Southern California accumulating fewer than 5,000 miles.
It is important to note that while the car was used minimally, the cars particular owner took great pains to ensure that the car was always in excellent running and driving condition. In fact, he paid considerable attention to the smallest details, both from a mechanical and cosmetic perspective and recently treated the Fiat to new paint, interior, wheels and tires, a complete mechanical freshening, and much more. Details are listed in the description below.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS 1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000
- Three long term California owners
- Clean transferrable California title - Licensed & registered until 4/18 for CA buyers
- Totally clean CarFax report with no reports of negative activity including: salvage, theft, odometer tampering, rollback, etc.
- Within the previous 50 miles, the car has passed California's strict new dynamometer smog test with no problem with test results that were considerably better than the maximum allowable measurement
- Very straight rust free body with new paint and excellent trim
- Finished in striking color scheme with subtle, rich interior appointments / upgrades
- Remained in California its entire life
- Documented recent mechanical repairs and cosmetic improvements
- Passed California's strict smog inspection within 2 weeks & <500 miles
- Includes original owner's manual, jack, & spare
BODY / TRIM / TOP SUMMARY
The body is finished in an absolutely striking shade of red, sometimes referred to as ‽Merlot.” When the car was repainted, the color received the benefit of slightly more metallic and it is truly striking. The Fiat received a complete re-paint within the past few years including the rear trunk underside, the door jambs and under the hood.
The paint is very high gloss with virtually no orange peel, fading or signs of partial repainting since the total re-paint. Consistent with a car that has received a recent, quality re-paint; the cars exterior has the appearance of a much later model vehicle. The Fiat is virtually free from significant damage including serious scratches / door dings and the body is free from major dents dings or damage. As the photos suggest, the car presents extremely well, and receives considerable attention. Perhaps most important, there is no indication that the car has ever been involved in an accident or had any major damage of any kind nor is there an indication that any panels have been replaced. The Car Fax report supports this conclusion.
The interior is finished in one of our favorite Fiat colors, a lovely shade of tan accented with a combination of tan and black, and has the stock Fiat seats that have been reupholstered in a material that is very close to factory stock. The Fiat has an excellent tan convertible top (higher quality canvas, not vinyl) with a perfectly clear rear window. The top has been protected with a towel when the top is "stowed”. The Fiat Spider convertible top can be raised and lowered with one hand, in just seconds, unlike some of the early British cars that require assembly of the tops.
Also included with the Fiat is a rear convertible top "boot” cover that covers the convertible top when it is in the down position. The ‽boot” is included and in good condition. We find that more often than not, the covers are missing, but this Fiat has the boot that fits well and finishes off the car when the top is down.
An inspection of the body (including the undercarriage), reveals that the car is totally free from rust, pitting, or major damage to the body (refer to photos, attached). There are absolutely no signs of rust on the typical rust prone areas of the Fiat, as a result of its life in California. An inspection of the rocker panels, rear lower fenders, under hood area, spare tire ‽well”, and undercarriage reveals a dry, clean and rust-free car. This is extremely important on the older Fiats as many of the cars in rust prone areas Regions of the country suffer from considerable rust in both the chassis and bodies.
The doors, hood, and trunk line up extremely well, with even gaps, and close easily and securely. The underside of the hood is clean and free of excessive dirt, oil, and grease,
The door locks operate properly as does the lock on the glove box door. The trunk releases with the inside release, as per factory specifications, and has a working lock on the handle, located inside of the passenger compartment.
The Fiat Spider convertible top can be raised and lowered with one hand, in just seconds, unlike some of the early British cars that require assembly of the tops.
The exterior trim on the Fiat is in very good original condition. The front and rear bumpers have no pitting rust or damage and the emblems and some of the exterior trim has been replaced or re-plated to keep the car looking its best. All the plastic trim and other exterior moldings are free from damage and in excellent condition. The side windows are free from cracks and damage, and operate perfectly. The front windshield is free from any cracks, stars or damage and the chrome surrounding it is also very good.
The interior remains in virtually stock condition throughout with the exception of an improved sound system with a rear mounted amplifier. The interior is in beautiful condition and has benefited from recovered front seats, and recently replaced, higher grade carpeting covered by Fiat logo carpet mats. The door panels, rear seats, and center console were replaced to eliminate the "crack prone” console and this made a significant difference in the appearance of the interior.
The retracting seat belts are original and fitted with Fiat logo padded protection. Gauges are original, clear, and fully functional displaying readings within factory specifications.
The car has an upgraded radio and speaker set-up and a hidden amplifier (shown in the trunk photos). The lights, gauges, and entire electrical system is 100% functional including the Blaupunkt Stereo System with removable faceplate.
The trunk contains the original carpet and the factory original spare and jack. The trunk is totally free from any rust, signs of leakage, or damage. It is extremely tidy. The trunk "well” (refer to photos on Website) is free from rust, damage or moisture.
When the car was sold by us with mileage of just over 96K, it was owned for 15 years by a master mechanic and had just received considerable work, including:
- Freshly Rebuilt Engine
- New Brakes
- Fresh brake fluid
- New Tires
- Suspension work
- New Water Pump
- New Hoses
- Fresh Tune-Up
- Complete oil service
- Ongoing professional maintenance
Since the sale to the current owner and within <4,000 miles, the Fiat has documented receipts reflecting the following repairs / maintenance, and upgrades:
- New 15” x 7” wheels & tires (on 11/17/17)
- New gear reduction starter - 500 miles ago
- New ignition switch - <500 miles ago
- New front brakes including pads, rotors, hoses & fluid - (on 12/6/17, at 99,342 mi.)
- Safety inspection / road test - <500 miles ago
- New transmission mount, rear brake hoses, new gear oil, new interior light switch, new door jamb switch, miscellaneous repairs - <500 miles ago
- Re-chrome rear bumper
- Replace all fuel injectors - <1,000 miles ago
- New electrical components to ensure all lighting systems work - 1,000 miles ago
- New rear axle seal, fresh anti-freeze, new breather hoses, wheel alignment, repair rear brake lights,
- New Alpine amplifier
- Complete oil service, tune-up <1,000 miles
The Fiat runs and drives extremely well. As a fuel injected car, the car starts immediately when warm or cold. The care that this car has received becomes apparent with one glance under the hood.
The engine is very strong and does not smoke, leak, or exhibit any problems. Within approximately 5,000 miles the Fiat recently received a valve job along with considerable other work on the cooling system and other major components including the all-important timing belt. The Fiat idles smoothly at just below 1000 rpm, and does not hesitate, have any unusual noises or issues. It runs cool and has excellent power.
The transmission is excellent and all of the syncromesh gears function perfectly. The sometimes problematic 2nd gear syncromesh is excellent, due in part to the car being driven by responsible owners and its low mileage. There is no noise in the driveline and the clutch engages properly, and without slippage, chattering or fuss.
The car steers straight and has a tight, solid feel. The brakes have also been re-done and are well within acceptable limits. The emergency brake is functional and correctly adjusted.
The undercarriage shows very well and an underside inspection makes it apparent that the car has spent its entire life in California. The car is simply freed from any damage and rust: quite amazing for any 30 year old car, much less a Fiat Spider!
The engine and engine bay are tidy, in original configuration, and free from excessive oil, dirt and grease. We have owned/driven a large number of Fiat cars over the years, and can say with confidence, that this is an excellent running/driving car that will provide years of future enjoyment.
It is important to note that, during this time, all of the issues that typically arise with the Fiat Spider have been addressed. The receipts show frequent service and attention from an owner who clearly wanted the car to be 100% reliable.
ABOUT THE FIAT SPIDER - HISTORY
In April 1966, FIAT started production of the Fiat 124 with a push-rod 1187cc engine. Working at Fiat was the legendary engine specialist Aurelio Lampredi, who, while at Ferrari, had brought about the down-fall of the mighty Fiat Romeo 158/9s in 1952 with his un-supercharged 4.5 liter Ferrari's. When Vittorio Jano joined Ferrari with the disbanded Lancia team in 1955, Lampredi moved to Fiat. After designing the 1300, 1500 and 2300 engines, he drew up the classical twin cam engine designs for the Ferrari Dino V6, and 124 Spider.
Prototypes of the 124 Spider were tested in April 1966 and the first car was shown at the Turin Show in November 1966. Initial cars were powered with 1438cc engines, later enlarged to 1608cc, 1756cc, and finally 1995cc in final form.
The Spider had a close affiliation with Pininfarina, as that styling house was responsible for design and also the building, painting and trimming of the actual bodies on the Fiat 124 cars. Fiat decided to target the USA as the main market, and had very good success with the Fiat as a comfortable, fun to drive, open air, sports car.
The 1980's brought considerable positive changes to the Fiat Spider and the cars offered a wonderful combination of performance, handling and comfort in an attractive, affordable package. The last of the Fiat Spider's made their way to U.S. shores in 1984 and the cars were largely the same during 1982-1984. These later model cars are in high demand, especially examples that have not been exposed to harsh winters that can have negative effects on the rust prone bodies of the Fiat 2000's.
The Fiats were very nicely equipped sports cars and included the following standard equipment on the 1982 models:
- 2.0 Litre (1995 cc) Twin Overhead Cam Engine
- 5-Speed, Fully Synchronized Transmission
- Fully Independent Suspension
- Front Anti Sway Bar
- Power Assisted 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
- Steel Belted Radial Tires
- "One Hand” Convertible Top Operation
- Front Bucket Seats
- Adjustable Head Rests
- Electronic Tachometer
- Water Temperature, Oil Pressure & Voltmeter Gauges
- Padded 3-Spoke Sport Steering Wheel
- 2 Speed Electronic Washer/Wipers
- Dual Power Side View Mirrors
- Vent Windows
- Day/Night Rear View Mirror
- Tinted Glass
MISCELLANEOUS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
- Has it received a safety/light inspection? Yes, the car has been checked for turn signals, brake lights and license plate lights.
- What is the total mileage on the Fiat? The odometer currently shows 99,630. The Car-Fax supports the mileage.
- Was the work completed by professionals? Yes, all the mechanical work was done professionally, and to a high standard. No backyard or ‽Do it Yourself” mechanic has worked on this Fiat.
- What were the results of inspections? The Fiat passed with no problem and no safety issues were identified.
- Will the car pass smog in California? Yes, in fact it just did within the previous 10 days and 500 miles and buyers will receive evidence of the current smog results.
- What are the cars needs (if any) at this time? The vehicle is in very nice cosmetic condition and, as we have indicated, runs and drives well. The car has been very well cared for over the years and it shows. We have not identified any needs at this time
- Does the car have seat belts? Yes, factory shoulder harnesses (no belts in the rear area).
- What is the condition of the convertible top and does the frame work function well. The convertible is in very good condition with a clear window. It shows no signs of fading and is not ripped or damage and shows only minimal signs of wear from use. When replaced, it was upgraded to the considerably more durable, cloth top that will not only last longer but looks significantly better than the less costly standard equipment vinyl top. The frame is raised and lowered easily and all of the latches are in place (even the fasteners that hold the front clasps and the rear rubber straps remain in place!).
- Can we have the vehicle inspected? Absolutely, we encourage inspections of this Fiat by serious, qualified individuals, or professional inspection companies. All we ask is that you call us at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time since we are in and out of our offices quite a bit. We are unable to allow inspections 24 hours prior to the end of the auction as we are closed on Sunday.
- Can you provide some ‽ballpark” costs of shipping costs around the United States? Yes, on a fully insured, ENCLOSED carrier We generally do not recommend the more common "open” transporters for a car of this caliber) and delivered to your door, about $1500.0 for most of the East Coast, $1,350.00 to some of the Southern states, and around $1000 to points in the Midwest. The cost to Los Angeles would be in the area of $500.00. PLEASE check with us as these are just estimates, NOT firm shipping costs, and rates are changing regularly due to fuel costs, exact locations, and other factors.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- Please let us know if we can provide additional detailed photos of any part of the Fiat
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet!
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- We encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail and will be glad to call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Please keep in mind that minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / specialty car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector car being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 930~ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Convertible
|4-Point Roll Cage|
Convertible Boot Cover
Factory Center Console
Factory Seat Belts
Heater / Defroster
Matching Numbers Engine
| ||Matching Numbers Transmission|
No Rust CA. Body
Original California Car
Original Jack & Tools
Runs / Drives Very Well