1966 MG Midget
Very Straight California MKII Midget
Owned by One Family for Many Years & Received Recent Mechanical Repairs
Original Color, Correct Interior & Gauges
A Great, Running / Driving Example Light Project Car
OFFERED FOR A BUY IT NOW OF $4,800.00
NOTE: Our listings sometimes get rather lengthy. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read multiple pages of description, we ask that you review the "Specifications" on the car along with viewing the photos. Also, if you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the MGB and answer any questions over the telephone, including about our Buy it Now policies. Yes, the MG can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction. Again, please give us a call for details.
ALSO, PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE A LARGE NUMBER OF PHOTOS, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THE PHOTOGRAPHS, PLEASE CALL US AND WE WILL PROVIDE A LINK FOR THE PHOTOS (IT IS A VIOLATION OF EBAY POLICY TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING).
All of our photos are taken in natural light and we do not ‽Photo-Shop” or touch-up the photos. This is an original California MG Midget that is being offered at a very reasonable price and represents a wonderful opportunity to experience the joys of British car motoring without a significant investment. The photos accurately reflect the condition of this MKII Midget.
The "madness” is underway in the various auction venues around the country. We often times see a wide range of collectible cars / special interest cars sell for inflated amounts in the ‽heat of the moment.” This car is offered at a VERY realistic price and, perhaps most important, is offered by Classic Cars Ltd. that has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with 935 positive eBay feedback items. We will gladly provide references in addition to those left by customers on a wide range of Internet review sites.
CLASSIC CARS LTD.
CONDITION SUMMARY - 1966 MG MIDGET
This MG was purchased from a neighbor who had the car in the garage in California for many years. It is, reportedly, an original California car and the condition of the car and its lack of rust certainly suggest that it has spent its entire life in our sunny state. As a result of the owner's passing, the car was sold, and with minimal work is back on the road in running / driving condition. However, while the car has been driven since the work was completed, the MG we would describe the Midget as a light, running / driving project. It is important to note that the cars "bones" are very solid and the engine runs well. The list of items that could be addressed over time are outlined in the description below.
Unlike many east coast and Midwest MG's that rusted away, this car has survived the often seen rot and rust due to "living” in the dry northern California climate. It retains its original color having received one re-spray in the factory correct white. The body is very straight with no current accident damage, or indications of previous damage. The engine compartment and trunk do not show signs of damage and are extremely solid. The sides, rear and floor of the trunk are rock solid and the original bumper supports and rear panel are undamaged reflecting no signs of previous repair. The engine bay could use a major detail, but is also straight and, with the exception of light rust, is damage free, as well.
Recently the MG received the benefit of a new battery, brake work, a new generator, and carburetor adjustments. It runs well, starts immediately even after sitting for a period of time, and does not leak excessively, only leaving several drops as any British car of this vintage would. While the car received brake work, the pedal is soft and it may need further bleeding. The car shifts well through all of the gears and has the factory issued non-syncromesh first gear that has, as so many Sprites/Midgets of this era, become noisy. However, most important, the cars 2nd and 3rd gear syncromesh are good and the car stays in all gears (including 1st). The clutch does not slip but feels as if it could be bled and we received a clutch slave cylinder with the car that is included should the cars new owner choose to install it. We do not detect any other noise in the drive-line.
The car starts immediately when hot or cold with the use of the choke. The factory proper gauges show excellent, high readings (70 lbs. when cold), and the car does not overheat. The speedometer and odometer are functional as are the other gauges with the exception of the non-working tachometer. The dash has been painted and while it is configured correctly (not cut-up), it could benefit from an improved re-spray.
In summary, this MG Midget would make a terrific very light project that can be driven while it receives additional mechanical and cosmetic attention. It would be a perfect choice for someone who appreciates the realities of British cars and likes to "tinker.” The engine is strong, and the benefit of the MKII and its higher output engine makes the car more fun to drive. It even includes the factory (unrestored) spare, jack, wire wheel release tool, and a car cover. The top bows are in good condition and the top is free from damage with a totally clear rear window.
HISTORY - MG MIDGET/SPRITE
It has been said that the Sprite and Midget as produced by the MG Car Company from 1958 until 1979, provided motoring enthusiasts with by far the most amount of enjoyment, for by far the least amount of money. One of the most versatile sports cars ever, owners were within days of its announcement, competing successfully with them in all branches of motor sport, and have continued doing so ever since. Equally at home whether being used for racing, rallying, and hill-climbing, these diminutive machines were and are truly competitive, and in talented hands always capable of some giant slaying results. A joy to drive, easy and inexpensive to buy and repair, these little machines represent the ultimate enthusiasts all around sports cars. A true "sports car" in every sense of the word.
The first 'modern' Midget was essentially a re-badged Austin Healey Sprite MkII which itself was a development from the the original 1958 MkI Sprite, more frequently known as the Frogeye. The MkI Midget, as announced in June 1961 and fitted with a 948cc BMC "A" series engine was quite basic, with a very simple interior, side screens and stowaway hood. However it did just what its creators intended, and offered sporting motoring for minimum cost. It differed from the Sprite by having a traditional MG style of grille and extra trim, a black instead of white steering wheel, and other small detail differences, the uncomplicated but attractive car bringing under one liter motoring back to MG enthusiasts for the first time since 1936.
This didn't last long though for in 1962 a more powerful version was introduced fitted with a 1098cc version of the same engine, and in 1963 further improvements arrived in the form of front disc brakes and better interior trim. At this point also the engine received some further refinement by the fitting of larger 2" main bearings; this was in answer to the criticism of the engine being somewhat rough at higher revolutions. In all other respects the car remained as before, but big changes were to be revealed with the announcement of the MkII model in 1964.
This version incorporated a completely new and far more comfortable cockpit, with wind up windows and swiveling quarter-lights, better instrumentation, lockable doors and the option of wire wheels. The biggest change however was to the rear suspension, the quarter elliptic springs being replaced by softer half elliptic's, resulting in a smoother ride.
In 1966 yet more power was available by the fitting of the 1275cc engine. This model, the MkIII, also benefited from a superb new design of folding hood, and a larger fuel tank. It was at this point however that all further mechanical development of the model sadly came to a halt, it remaining largely unaltered until 1974; although from the Leyland take-over in 1968 there were minor annual styling updates.
In late 1974 however the car underwent its final and most significant change, for to keep the model in line with the ever increasing safety and emission rules being introduced in the US, heavy energy absorbing bumpers. In 1976 wire wheels were dropped from the option list. The car then continued in this guise with just slight annual cosmetic revisions until 1979 when production finally ceased on December 7th.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- Included with the MG Midget are the repair / maintenance manuals shown in the listing.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed or open at very attractive rates.
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet!
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: if the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Please keep in mind that minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, and other imperfections that exist on virtually every used car. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's previous owner or other sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of ‽numbers” and significant data contained in this listing prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering. We also encourage inspections prior to the end of the auction.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector car being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
* Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
* The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
* Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 930 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
* We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
* Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
* We enjoy excellent relationships with a number of transport companies and, as a result, can often times obtain preferred pricing for vehicle shipping. Please give us a call and we will be glad to refer you to suitable transport companies. Needless to say, we would recommend a quality, enclosed transporter that is experience with moving high quality, collectible cars.
* We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Convertible
|Interior Color:||Black / White Piping|
|Mileage:||TMU (Total Miles Unknown)
|California Lic & Reg|
Exempt from CA Smog
Factory Bucket Seats
Front Disc Brakes
| ||Front Disc Brakes|
Front Rubber Mats
A Good Opportunity for Detailing!
Upgraded Manifold / Larger Carburetor
Straight Accident Free - Surface Rust