2001 Saab Viggen 93 Turbo
Rare Low Mileage 2 Owner CA. Viggen - 1 of 738 USA Convertibles in 2001
Saab's Fastest Production Car - 2.3 Liter Turbo
& Significant Performance Factory Enhancements
5-Speed Manual, Power Everything Including:
Retractable Convertible Top, Heated / Electric Seats & MUCH More!
Documented Since Date of California Delivery Including Maintenance Records, Two Factory Keys, & Complete Owner's Manuals & Documents
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Saab and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Saab can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS SAAB, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MERCEDES. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT ‽PHOTO-SHOP” THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 945 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS - "THIS PARTICULAR 1990 SAAB 900
This desirable late model, limited edition, high performance Saab Viggen Turbo was delivered new within 50 miles of our showroom to B & B Saab, Santa Clara, CA on April, 2001 to the original owner who owned the car from April, 2001 until September, 2004. The car carried a whopping price tag of over $50,000.00 including tax and license (original window sticker included with a price of $46,020.00).
A number of things separate this Saab Viggen from other high mileage, numerous owner, ‽rust zone” example including the incredibly thorough and complete maintenance history. Additionally, the car comes complete with a long list of virtually the entire entire factory delivered items including the following:
- Original Window Sticker
- Original Owner's Manual
- Two original factory Saab keys
- Warranty & Service Record Book (Stamped by the dealer through 60K miles and subsequent service documented by repair receipts)
- Saab Quick Guide (Summary of key features)
- 2001 Saab Consumer Guide
- Saab Dealer Directory
- Pirelli Tire Warranty Booklet
- Saab Roadside Assistance Card
- Saab Roadside Assistance Brochure
- Saab logo pen!
- Factory Issued Operational CD
- Saab leather case for all of the above
Since being delivered, the Viggen has had two owners (documented by the totally clean Carfax report). The first owner enjoyed the Saab for the first 3 ½ years when the second owner acquired the Saab on 9/4/04 and retained possession of the car for close to 14 years. The Saab Viggen has received an extremely high level of care by both owners. It is important to note that this Saab Viggen received maintenance consistent with factory recommendations and was serviced by the delivering dealer through 60,000 miles. All of the dealer stamps are recorded in the Saab Warranty & Service Booklet. Subsequently, the car received preventative and ongoing maintenance by local Saab professional mechanics, including recent service. A summary of the earlier dealer maintenance is as follows:
- 30 Day Inspection - Completed on 5/3/01 by B & B & stamped in Service Booklet
- Complete oil service and inspection - 9,679 miles on 11/07/01
- Oil Service - On 7/6/03, 18,420 miles
- Oil service - On 4/12/04, 39,555 miles
- Major Service - On 5/13/08, 60,372
- Complete minor service (oil, etc.)
Note; Information suggests that additional oil services were completed as a function of time, not mileage due to the limited use of the car, but the above services were performed by and are documented in the Service Booklet by B & B Saab.
The most recent longtime owner continued the Saabs no expense spared maintenance regimen with exclusive service by Saab specialists. During its early life, the required maintenance was performed by the local Saab dealership, B & B. and subsequently, another highly respected Saab specialist.
During the last 14~ years under the ownership of the Saab's second owner, the maintenance has been ongoing and intended to be preventative in nature to assure that the Viggen was in excellent running / driving condition at all times. While the file is entirely too comprehensive to list item by item, the following will provide the interested buyer with an idea of the comprehensive nature of the maintenance effort that took place within approximately 30,000 miles.
- Passed smog - Within the past <100 miles @ 112,086 mi. 3/24/18
- Complete oil service & bleed / check hydraulic top - 112,065 mi. (<100 miles)
- Complete oil service, check fluids, tires, etc. - 108,477
- Complete oil service, smog, cabin air cleaner, refresh all fluids - 102,579 mil
- New battery - 96,457 miles
- New electronic ignition control unit, new ignition cassette, R&R spark plugs, complete oil service - 96,353 miles
- 90,000 mile major service, repair loose fog light, change key battery, new air cleaner, & check lighting systems - 95,324 miles
- Repair A/C with new temperature sensor, multi-point inspection
- 88,647 miles
- Replace clutch, new clutch kit, surface flywheel, new clutch slave, release bearing and gaskets, new transmission fluid and general inspection 84,798 miles
- Complete oils service & smog check - 84,650 miles
- New temperature sensor - 80,000 miles
- New brakes & discs, flush braking system, replace halogen headlight, lube & filter, new SID display - 79,212 miles
- Complete oil service, fluids, and tire pressure checks - 73,599 miles
Simply stated, this is one of the nicest, best maintained, and unique Saab' s that we have seen in many years. While Saab's enjoy a strong reputation for reliability and safety, the improvements to the Viggen are significant, placing it in a league of its own when it comes to a combination of luxury, performance and, in this case, top down enjoyment. Please refer to ‽History Saab 93 Viggen” below for details regarding the mechanical improvements and performance data.
The Saab Viggen remains in virtually 100% original configuration and has never been modified with the exception of replacement of maintenance items. It reflects its low mileage, California life, and with just over 112K miles has held up extremely well, as the photos suggest. The largely original factory paint (it appears as if the front lower spoiler has, as is typical, been resprayed) is in good overall condition. The body panels are extremely straight showing no signs of replacement or damage and, as a California car, the Saab is free from rust and rot both on the outside panels and the underside / undercarriage. The interior is equally as nice with only minimal patina of fine leather on the driver's side seat. The dash, door panels, carpet, gauges and headliner are excellent. All of the gauges display readings well within acceptable limits and the electrical system is functional including the convertible top mechanism that has been regularly serviced to ensure reliable service.
The air conditioning has been regularly serviced and is fully functional as is the CD player. Also included with the Saab is the ‽Saab Audio CD” that introduces the cars new owner to the many features of the Saab Viggen convertible.
Mechanically, the car reflects the care that it has received over the years. It runs extremely well, and as Saab's highest performance example is incredibly fun to drive. The car has a surprising amount of power due to the increased displacement and turbocharged engine. The ‽93” starts immediately under all conditions, shifts perfectly, stops straight and true and handled very well as a result of the upgraded suspension components fitted to the limited edition Viggen. The Saab is free from leaks, does not smoke, have any noise in the drive-line and has a properly adjusted and fully functional emergency brake. Recent inspections rate the car in excellent, well maintained condition with no mechanical findings.
Please let us know if we can provide additional information regarding this lovely example of the Saab Viggen.
HISTORY SAAB 93 VIGGEN
The Saab 9-3 Viggen was developed jointly by Saab Automobile AB's Special Vehicles Operations team and the Oxfordshire, England-based TWR Group. The Viggen name (which means "thunderbolt" in Swedish) comes from one of Saabs flagship fighter jets, the Saab 37 Viggen (many people don't realize that Saab was first and still is an aircraft company). The Viggen logo is derived from the delta-wing design of this fighter.
Viggens were only made from 1999-2002 and were manufactured with a standard transmission, and limited colors with black being added in 2000. The Viggen began as a standard 9-3, but put in a better engine from the 9-5, a larger turbo-charger, better computer, improved stiffer and lower suspension. Additional upgrades were significant and included springs, dampers, anti-roll bars, steering rack mounts, larger 17" wheels, sportier and more aerodynamic trim (reducing aerodynamic drag by 8% to a 0.31 coefficient and reducing lift forces over the rear wheels by 60%), larger and grooved rotors, different spoiler, upgraded clutch assembly, larger diameter and stronger drive shafts and strengthened CV joints. Other interesting specs are the transverse-mounted engine, 9.3:1 compression ratio, Saab's custom "Trionic-7" fuel-injection system, direct-ignition, 17 gallon fuel tank, 3,140 lbs. curb-weight, anti-lock brakes, driver and passenger airbags, headlamp wipers, and front-wheel drive. All these sport features didn't come at a price of fuel-economy, however, with the Viggen achieving up to 29 MPG on the highway.
The first Viggen's in 1999 were already impressive at 225 horsepower (@ 5,500 RPM) and 252 lb-ft. of torque available at just 2,500 RPM all the way to 4,500 RPM. The engine is 2.3-liter turbo-charged 4-cylinder with 4 valves per cylinder. Maximum torque is available for 30% of the usable power band. In 2000 (mine) this was bumped up to 230 HP and 258 lb. ft. of torque. In 1999 it was already able to beat the Porsche 911 Carrera in both efficiency of producing HP and torque per liter of engine displacement. In 2000 those improvements over the Porsche were 15% (HP) and 52% (lb. ft.).
The Viggen's large oil and water-cooled turbocharger produces maximum boost pressure of 1.4 bar, or a full 20 psi.
The leather interior received upgrades as well, including "V" logo seats and virtually every creature comfort imaginable including power everything, OnStar, heated and power Viggen logo seats…the works, and $50K in 2001!!.
Finally, when the Saab Viggen was delivered in 2000/2001, the new owner received a certificate for the "Viggen Flight Academy", a two-day intensive driver training session held by a team of racing professionals at the world-class Road Atlanta complex, located near Saab Cars USA's headquarters in Norcross, Georgia.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 930 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Saab serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|Transmission: ||5 Speed Manual
|4-Wheel Disc Brakes|
Factory Bucket Seats
Factory Center Console
Factory Power Top
Local California "Survivor"
No Rust CA. Body
Numbers Matching Car
Original California Car
Original Jack & Tools
Original Owners Manual
Original Sheet Metal
| ||Original Sheet Metal|
Original Warranty Booklet
Records Since New!
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Frt. & Rear)