1962 Volkswagen Beetle
Professionally Restored to High Standards - 2 Owner California ‽Beetle”
Finished in Factory "Pearl White” with "Ruby Red” Leatherette
Completed Within the Last 500 MILES!
Completely Disassembled For Paint, New Trim, Professionally Rebuilt Engine, ETC. - Considerable Attention to Detail
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our company. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the VW and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the VW can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS VW, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE VW. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 975+ positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS - THIS PARTICULAR 1962 VW BEETLE
We have always loved the pre-1968 VW Beetles and believe they represent the purest form of the classic VW "Bug.” This VW was completely restored within 500 miles, and has a history of having only 2 California owners. It has lived in California its entire life and was chosen as an excellent candidate for a comprehensive restoration candidate as a result of its extremely straight body, original panels, and lack of rust. Unlike cars from inclement weather regions that have significant rust, restoring a rust free car with excellent "bones” results in a considerably better finished product. This 1962 VW is certainly evidence of this philosophy.
One of realities of the earlier beetles was the lack of power from the 1200 cc engine. This issue has been addressed by replacing the engine with a completely rebuilt 1600 cc engine with fewer than 500 miles. The file documents the professional rebuild of the engine that makes the car a pleasure to drive without having a negative effect on the original appearance and charm of the VW.
Frankly, this car looks even better in person than in the photos. The quality of the paintwork is as high as we have seen and can best be described as ‽show level” quality. We ask that you pay particular attention to the photos of the inner fenders, engine compartment, front trunk area, and other areas. Unlike many inexpensive re-paints, or VW's that are built to ‽flip”, this car was professionally completed for the owner's enjoyment and the thought that he would keep the car forever. Unfortunately, financial realities resulted in the reluctant sale of the VW.
• Excellent uniform paint with no indication of partial panel re-painting since restored / complete paint (inside and out including engine bay, front trunk area, dash, and all interior panels)
• Originally configured with no modifications to the body, bumpers, fenders, hood, or deck lid
• Incredible attention to detail with new body hardware, like new inner fenders, floor pans, inner door jambs, etc. Note: Please review all 100 photos
• Excellent German fit of body panels to factory specifications
• Both doors and both front and rear compartments open/close smartly
• NO rust or "patina” anywhere on the car
• Excellent front and rear bumpers
• Excellent glass all around with original glass retained
• Windows operate properly including vent windows
• Driver's side outside rear view mirror
• Radio antenna on front left side fender area
• All stock exterior trim, stainless steel and chrome accents
• All interior panels re-painted when car was totally disassembled
• Custom interior to stock specifications in beautiful original VW color of "Ruby Red”
• All matching front and rear door panels
• Rich looking "felt” headliner - all new
• Excellent dash with functional gauges, original radio & switches / knobs
• Factory sun visors in like new condition
• Replaced weatherstrip on doors
• Interior stainless door entry trim and forward carpet accents
• New factory style carpet in color coordinated tan
• Color coordinated seat belts (Front & Back)
• Excellent dashboard (car totally disassembled and all interior panels painted when complete and total re-spray was completed)
• Clear, functional gauges
• Beautiful restored steering wheel / white
• Original factory AM radio (not functional)
• No aftermarket speakers
• Original "perforated vinyl” material in rear area behind the seat
FRONT TRUNK AREAS
• Immaculate front compartment
• Restored spare wheel & vintage tire
• Restored Jack & handle
• New trunk liner
COSMETIC CONDITION SUMMARY
This VW is in exceptional condition having had the benefit of a recent, professional restoration. The car is finished in a classic VW Pearl White with Ruby Red Leatherette interior and proper color coordinated carpet and headliner. The exterior body and trim remain totally stock as do the dashboard, steering wheel and other interior components. The only addition to the VW is a beautiful roof rack that can be easily removed should the new owner decide to do so and an improved exhaust system that gives the VW a ‽Porsche like” exhaust note. Fortunately, unlike so many VW's today, it is not lowered, altered, or modified to detract from its original charm and appeal.
The exterior of this '62 Beetle is striking, especially with the period correct ‽Ruby Red” interior. It is free from and front end rock chips, scratches, door dings, or any other damage or imperfections that detract from its lovely appearance. Perhaps most important, the 50 year old VW (difficult to believe, but true!) is completely devoid of rust and we are told that the car, prior to restoration, was a solid, 2 owner car that had lived in California its entire life (supported by the original black California license plates with proper numbering sequence. Having been replaced, all of the bright work is like new as are the bumpers, over-riders, window trim and all other exterior bits. The valence panel under the front bumper is free from the usual damage and the inner front trunk is also free from damage and the factory welds are visible. There are not indications of accident damage to the front, rear, or underside of the VW.
The interior is as fresh as the exterior and was completed with a commitment to quality, and attention to detail. No shortcuts were taken and the entire interior was redone at the time the car was disassembled for restoration and included new seating material, matching door panels (front and rear), new carpet, restoration of the dash / steering wheel, all new rubber trim, and much more The seats are excellent as are the door panels. We ask that you review the photos and believe that the old adage ‽A photo is worth a thousand words” certainly applies to this lovely VW Beetle.
The immaculate engine compartment reflects the "engine out” restoration and engine rebuild that was completed 500~ miles ago.
The VW brings back wonderful memories of one of our first car, a 1967 VW Beetle. The car is great fun to drive and is totally reliable, fuel efficient, and receives admiring glances from the large number of previous owner's who enjoyed Beetle ownership in years past.
The car starts immediately and all of the operating systems are completely functional. With the fresh, rebuilt 1600 cc engine, the car is very strong, does not smoke, or have any unusual noise, or problems with the engine. The valves were adjusted after the first few hundred miles, so the car is ready to drive and enjoy.
It shifts well through all of the gears, the clutch engages properly and without slippage, and the brakes stop the car straight and sure. The emergency brake is properly adjusted. The steering is tight and precise and the car is free from wind noise due to the replacement of virtually all of the rubber seals when the car was restored. All of the lighting systems are functional.
The VW represents a properly restored car that can be enjoyed as a very high end "driver”, or an occasional use car. If taken to a local show, the car will undoubtedly garner considerable attention from admiring fans along with the possibility of recognition from show judges.
• Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
• Due to its age, the VW is smog exempt.
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1962 VW BEETLE
• Length: 160.6”
• Wheelbase: 94.5”
• Width: 60.6”
• Height: 59.1”
• Ground clearance: 6”
• Turning circle: 34.4"
• Weight: 1,672 lb.
• Engine: 1,600 cc flat 4 cylinder 78.4 c.i.
• Transmission: 4 speed manual transmission
• Fuel capacity: 10.6 gal
HISTORY OF THE VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE
The Volkswagen Beetle, officially the Volkswagen Type 1, or informally in the US the Volkswagen Bug, is a two-door, four passenger, rear-engined economy car manufactured and marketed by German automaker Volkswagen (VW) from 1938 until 2003. Volkswagen means literally, "people's car" in German.
The need for this kind of car and its functional objectives were formulated by Adolf Hitler, desiring an inexpensive, simple car to be mass-produced for the new German road network. He contracted Porsche in 1934 to design and build it to his exacting standards. Ferdinand Porsche and his team took until 1938 to finalize it, although the design was based entirely on the work of Béla Barényi, who completed the design in 1925. This is one of the first rear-engined cars. With over 24 million manufactured in an air-cooled, rear-engined, rear-wheel drive configuration, the Beetle is the longest-running and most-manufactured car of a single design platform worldwide.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- We have been the same, small, California town for over 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 975+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail and ask that you call us at 925-846-1451 if we can answer any questions about the VW, Classic Car Ltd, or shipping costs to your location.
- We encourage inspections of this VW by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|Transmission: ||4 Speed Manual
|"Black Plate" California Car|
California Lic & Reg
Clear Title Included
Exempt from CA Smog
Factory AM Radio
Factory Bucket Seats
Fresh "Nut & Bolt" Restoration
Fresh Complete Engine Rebuild
Front Rubber Mats
| ||Heater / Defroster|
Highly Detailed Trunk
No Rust CA. Body
Original California Car
Original Owners Manual
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Frt. & Rear)
Original AM Radio
Mirror with Sun Shade
All New Felt Headliner / Visors
We have additional photos on request..