2018 Shelby Cobra Tribute
A Truly Exceptional Example & SB100 Certified / Licensed In California
Ford 302c.i. / 5-Speed Manual Transmission
Excellent, High Quality Factory Five Cobra - Only 6,658 Miles!
Never Abused - Owned & Constructed by a Very Particular, Mature Owner
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Cobra and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Cobra can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS COBRA, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF EBAY POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE COBRA. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT ‽PHOTO-SHOP” OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 975 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS - THIS PARTICULAR COBRA TRIBUTE
Factory Five Racing (FFR) was started in 1995 by brothers Dave and Mark Smith. The combined backgrounds of these two in business, engineering and manufacturing, brought a discriminating and more cautious quality to the often tumultuous business of making cars. They have been successful from the start and sell about 550 units per year. It is believed that they sell more cars than any other manufacturer and have a reputation for producing an excellent product.
Their Cobra package is very well engineered kit to use with a 5.0 liter V8 donor car to create a Cobra replica. The FFR kit frame is composed of two 4-inch diameter steel tubes with welded square tubing substructures. The trunk floor and passenger compartment are made from pre-fitted aluminum sheets that the builder rivets to the frame. Finally, the fiberglass body is bolted to the frame and acts like a skin covering the mechanical parts. When built with the 5.0 liter engine and 5-speed transmission, the Cobra offers excellent, balanced performance and handling.
It is important to note that Factory Five cars represent a very wide range of quality and construction. This particular car was built to a high standard with reliable Ford components. We have, over the course of our 25 years in business, seen a wide range of Cobra tribute cars from various manufacturers utilizing everything from small block V8's to extremely high horsepower big blocks. Personally, we find the 302 c.i. to be a great choice for the Cobra considering its weight and size. The 302 c.i. is a reliable workhorse that offers exhilarating, yet reliable performance. We have owned and represented a number of Cobras from various manufacturers and constructors and, frankly, this example represents one of the better examples that we have had the pleasure of having in our showroom.
The Cobra is exceptionally well built / designed, safe, and totally reliable. This car is not only fast but, in the right hands a joy to drive due to the suspension set-up, 5-speed gearbox, and other factory designed and recommended components
Of particular note is the cosmetic condition of this car's paint and body. There is agreement among Cobra "experts” that Factory Five produces and excellent body and chassis. However, in order to attain the quality of this cars paint and body fitment, takes considerable time and effort. When the body is delivered, the cars need considerable preparation including sanding, blocking, assuring proper hood, trunk and door gaps, etc. This car was painstakingly prepared by an expert Cobra painter and the results are superb…more on that later.
HISTORY OF THIS PARTICULAR CAR
This Cobra has had only one owner/builder and has been used very sparingly since being constructed several years ago. The Cobra has accumulated 6,658 miles and was built to a high standard. The extensive binder that will be provided to the cars new owner includes extensive documentation (including receipts, product brochures, tuning information, etc.) Unlike many cars in the marketplace that lack documentation and are poorly constructed and lack the proper preparation for paint work, this example truly represents a "labor of love” by its meticulous owner. Virtually every purchase, part, and technical information is included to benefit the car's future owner. Also noteworthy is the fact that the car has had only one owner and, until now, has not been offered for sale.
The car was licensed in California through Senate Bill 100 (SB100) so that it is exempt from smog and licensed as a SPCNS. The file contains the required California BAR documents, clear, transferrable title along with the original component list and other information from Factory Five Racing, Inc. It is further documented with receipts for many of the components that were used for the build of the Cobra.
While the documents are entirely too extensive to list in detail, the photos of the materials will provide the reader with the comprehensive file
A summary of the car's build / features is as follows:
Completed and on the road in 2007. Now has just over 14,000 miles
Body and Paint:
Painted by Ken's Customs in Yuba City
• Ken Pike has painted over 400 Cobra tribute cars in the last 15 years. He is arguably the most experienced body and paint professional for Factory Five cars.
• The car received extremely high paint & body work that is as good as any example that we have seen along with improvements to the body. Some of the work included:
• Comprehensive body prep and sanding
• Custom fitting (doors, exhaust cut-outs, etc.) prior to paint
• Rolled edges (cockpit and wheel arches)
• Hidden trunk hinge
• Ken's design hood hinge (more sturdy and easier to adjust than original)
• Hood re-enforcement hoop (integrated and blended)
• Hidden body fasteners
• 2- Stage British Racing Green / White Stripes - Clear coated
• Fuel Injected 302 c.i. Ford V8 (Freshened at time of installation)
• Remote Oil Filter
• Fireball High Performance Coil
• 8 mm Spark Plug Wires
• Free Flow Intake
• Chrome & Polished Under Hood Accessories
• 4 into 1 Headers
• Radiator with Fan
• 5-Speed fully syncro transmission, fresh clutch
• Black powder coated exhaust
• Cobra aluminum valve covers
Rear End :
• Ford Rear End / 2;73 Gears
• Carrera Coil Over Adjustable Shocks
• 3- Link Rear
• Cobra Mustang Disc Brakes Front and Rear
• 13” Cobra Front, 2 piston caliper
• 11” Cobra rear disc brakes, 1 piston caliper
• Carrera Adjustable Shocks
• FFR Front Upper A-Arms
• Tubular FFR Lower A-Arms
• 3-Link Rear Suspension
• Autometer CSX Series Gauges (Speedo, Tach, Voltage, Water Temp, Oil Pressure, Clock)
• Push Button Starter on Dash
• Hazard 4-Way Flashers
• Functional Horn
• FFR Seats
• Interior Lights Under Dash
• "Cobra” Sun Visors
• "Cobra” Side "Wing Windows”
• Dual Mounted Side View Mirrors
• Heated Seats!
• Simpson 4-Point Belts
• Dual Hoop Roll Bars
• Auxiliary Power Outlet
• Battery Cut-off switch
• Vintage Heat & Defrost
• Driver and Passenger Fresh air vent with powered fans
• Turn signals with push button high beams / high beam on stalk
The choice of engines is one of the finest features of this car. Many argue that a well-built, small block Cobra will outperform (especially on a road course) a big block car all day long due to superior power-to-weight ratio and cornering. This car, with the 302 c.i. engine, is lighter than a 427 but faster than an original 289 Cobra. It performs better than either and is an improvement over an authentic cobra in virtually every respect, not to mention that it is available at less than 5% of the price of a 1965 Cobra.
This Cobra is in truly beautiful condition. The quality of the exterior paint, fit and finish, and overall construction is as good as we have seen on any Cobra Tribute car. Most observers view the paint-work on the Cobra as ‽show quality.” The high gloss, 2-stage paint is deep, shiny and any minor flaws can only be noticed after a close, critical examination. Even the vulnerable front end of the Cobra shows only the most minor imperfections (literally a few almost imperceptible chips) that in no way detract from the appearance and striking good looks of the Cobra. This is due, in part to the low mileage and Northern California home, but also due to the meticulous care by its one owner. The windshield and chrome frame is excellent.
Wheels are Compomotive alloys wrapped with beefy Mickey Thompson tires. The wheels are free from damage and ‽curb rash.” and in excellent condition with the exception of a few minor curb scratches. The doors, hood, and the trunk lid open and fit properly with excellent gaps. The doors fir perfectly with no sagging or fitment issues (unlike many inexpensive or poorly built examples).
The interior is similarly excellent with black FFR seats that are designed to hold the driver in place during high performance driving. Seat belts are Simpson 3”, 4-point for driver and passenger. The dash is finished in matching black material along with color coordinated black carpeting, and door panels. The dash with its full classic style analog gauge set is attractively and functionally arranged. The thick leather steering wheel provides a classic appearance and is in excellent condition. Twin black factory roll hoops are fitted for safety and the high back seats prevent the potential danger of ‽head-banging” that exists with low back seating.
The engine compartment is not only immaculate, but reflects the ongoing care of its builder. The engine bay including aluminum finned Cobra valve covers, upgraded intake, improved ignition system, 8 mm spark plug wires, polished / chromed accessories, chromed dual brake master cylinder, and other upgrades. Simply stated, the engine bay is extremely well done; consistent with the exterior, interior and undercarriage.
The all black trunk area includes aluminum panels and is free from any damage; previous, or present. The trunk houses the battery for easy access and there are terminals to jump the car from the trunk compartment. Unlike many cars that we have seen it is free from wires and unnecessary items.
The underside of the car is, of course, rust free, ‽California clean” and free from and accumulation of oil, grease and fluids. The expression ‽A photo is worth a thousand words” is appropriate. Please see the underside photos on our listing. The Cobra's reported history (and inspection of the underside) suggests that the Cobra has only been used on sunny California days.
A DRIVE IN THE COBRA
The Cobra is fitted with a dash mounted ignition switch in addition to a master battery cut-off. To start the car, the master power is turned to the "On” position, ignition is turned on and a red dash button is pushed. The Cobra comes to life immediately with a thundering roar and emits an incredible sound through the large diameter side exhausts. The car warms up quickly and has a thermostatically controlled fan in the front that keep the car cool, even in hot California temperatures.
After 30 seconds to ensure that fluids have properly circulated, we push the hefty shift lever forward into first gear. The clutch action is smooth, free from chatter or issues and engages easily. Once underway, the car shifts effortlessly through the gears into 3rd gear and, we're on our way. The steering is tight and precise and the brakes stop the light weight Cobra with ease.
As our confidence builds, we begin to accelerate more quickly. In second gear, we apply ½ throttle and the car comes to life with the rear tires fighting for grip. An upshift into third and more application of the "loud pedal” and we look at the speedometer and we're traveling well over the speed limit in what seems like seconds. The car is fast with plenty of power but feels more balanced than the front heavy, over-powered ‽big blocks” that we have driven. We stop in a remote area and my passenger encourages me to "See what it will do”? I should note that we are not accustomed to, and do not abuse our cars, but this car begs to be driven hard. So, we give it a "mild” 0-60 run stopping well short of the suggested red-line. The car seems to welcome the opportunity to show us its capabilities and we are both amazed at the performance of the car. Even when driven hard, the tires claw for and get traction, and the acceleration is staggering. With the 5-speed transmission the car has a wide range of gearing for quick off the line performance as well as comfortable highway cruising. Actually, in any gear and at any speed, the car has a great feel as a result of its quality construction and design.
• California smog test not required for SB100 certified vehicles
• Extensive documentation of the build including but not limited to receipts, product brochures & information, SB100 licensing information and history, technical research and data and much more!
• Clear California title and, for California buyers, the registration is valid through January, 2018
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE FFR 1965 SHELBY COBRA REPLICA
• Wheelbase 90.0”
• Track front/rear 57.0”/58.0”
• Length 160.0”
• Width front/rear 68”/72”
• Height 46.8” (top of windshield)
• Ground clearance 4.5”
• Weight dry 1985 lb.
• Curb weight 2145 lb.
• Weight distribution 48.2% front/51.8% rear
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 24 years. We operate a small, "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 975 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Cobra by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Convertible
|Exterior Color:||Dark Green|
|Transmission: ||5 Speed Manual
|4-Wheel Disc Brakes|
Alloy Valve Covers
California Lic & Reg
Dual Side Mirrors
Exempt From Smog in California
Factory Overdrive Transmission
Front Sway Bar
| ||Heated Front Seats|
Original Owners Manual
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Front)
Shelby Engine Valve Covers
Titled in California
Windshield Wind Deflectors