1979 MG Midget
California "Born & Raised MG Midget MKIV" One of the Last Midgets!
Delivered & Remained in California All of Its Life
Complete & Comprehensive Repair / Maintenance History & Documentation Since Delivered New to British Motor Cars, Ltd., San Francisco
The Best Documented, Well Maintained, Limited Owner Midget in the USA?
Celebrity Owned…Read On....
Factory, Desirable Original Orange Paint / Black Interior
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please read the OVERVIEW below along with the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the MG Midget and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Corvette can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECIEVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS MG, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF ebay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE ebay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MG MIDGET. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with nearly 965+ positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
THIS PARTIUCLAR MGMIDGET
We love cars with history and, when it comes to an honest, well documented MG, this example is simply as good as it gets. This year marks our 25th anniversary in business, and during that time, we have seen hundreds (maybe thousands!) of British cars of all kinds. This MG Midget has absolutely incredible documentation back to 1979, when it was delivered to its proud new owner on 2/22/79, Ms. Barbara Davies Walsh, by now defunct San Francisco British Motor Cars Ltd. Ms. Davies had the proud distinction of being "Miss Cable Car, San Francisco" - 1979!)
The file contains extensive records dating back to the 1979 from British Motors where Ms. Davies had the car serviced; along with several receipts from British repair specialists. The car was treated with a ‽no expense spared” philosophy, and taken in for regular and frequent service and to address the most minor warranty issues.
On September 7, 1987, after 8+ years of ownership, Ms. Davies sold the MG to Janet M. Pattullo & Steven G. Smith (Bill of Sale in file), and indicated that the personalized plates were being removed (MRSWSW) in lieu of regular white plates.
A review of the repair history and service/maintenance documents suggest that the MG was retained by Janet Patullo until 1997 (10+ years). Subsequently, it is reported that the car was stored for several years and then, in 2012, the most recent and fanatical owner took possession of the MG Midget. So, it appears as if over the course of its life, the MG has had ~3 long term owners during its 40 year life.
This car comes to us from a local owner, as do the large majority of our cars. It also has enjoyed a lifetime in Northern California, and has one of the most comprehensive maintenance / service history that we have seen on a late model Midget. The file of preventative maintenance, books & records, reference guides, and other materials fills a large box! Our challenge will be to summarize this cars fascinating history since it entered the USA close to 40 years ago!
We will start by saying this is the nicest MG Midget that we have had the pleasure of owning. To summarize, consider the following:
- Lifelong California car
- 79,999 original miles
- Factory original, desirable orange paint
- Engine Rebuilt & Clutch at 76,445 miles (3,500 miles ago)
Note: Compression check at 78,474 miles (500 miles ago) as follows: #1 155 (leak down 10%), @2 155 (leak down 8%), #3, 155 (leak down 15%), #4, 155 (leak down 8%) - "Runs and drives better than any late model (or early model!) Midget we have driven."
- In Excess of $10,000.00 in maintenance and repairs during the last 5 years!!
- New tires at 74,000 miles (5,000 miles ago)
- No modifications to engine, drive-line, or body
- Original owner's manual (not a reproduction)
- Repair manual
- Club magazines, articles on the MG Midget, parts manuals / sources, etc.
- Extremely straight, solid, rust free example
- Factory jack & spare mounted to new, never used tire
- Passed California smog with flying colors within 50 miles
- New convertible top
- New dash pad
- Tonneau cover
- New sunvisors (not installed, but included)
- Added roll-bar (removable) & rear chrome luggage rack
- Complete trunk carpet kit (not installed, but included)
We have personally owned a number of MG and, frankly, we really enjoy the MG's including the Midgets for their handling, open air experience, and straightforward mechanical components. The later MG Midgets offer a number of benefits that the earlier cars lacked. However, they still are great fun to drive and represent a tremendous value, and still epitomize the British sports car experience.
Benefits of this particular MG Midget GT include:
- Late model production and may represent future collectible example
- Factory all syncromesh 4-speed transmission
- Improved and rebuilt 1500 engine
- Very stock, unmodified body, interior and retains rare original factory paint
The MG has, of course, always been garaged and has been used exclusively as a weekend occasional car on clear, sunny Northern California days. It has lived in one of the best climates in the world, inland California, far from the salty roads (and oceans) and other inclement weather that can be so damaging to classic cars.
This MG is a lovely example that remains in great condition, and reflects original patina that is difficult to describe. As the old saying goes ‽You can restore a car over and over again but it is only original once.” More and more collectors of classic cars are placing considerable emphasis on the value of originality and, frankly, this car has originality in spades! As a significant bonus, the car is a limited owner, rust free, California car finished in a factory desirable, period color and fitted with appropriate aftermarket options / upgrades. Of course, the MG carries a clear California title. It is a truly special car that we hope goes to a collector / enthusiast that will be the cars next ‽caregiver” for many years to come.
Listed below are additional details on the 1979 MG features and condition by category along with 100~ photographs of the cars exterior, interior, engine bay and even the underside of the car (to document the lack of rust in the floors, rocker panels, etc.).
A BREAKDOWN OF THE ‽NUMBERS”
THIS MG carries THE VIN# GAN6UL216983G which decodes as follows:
G MG Midget
A A Series Engine
N = 2 Seater
6 = Midget MKIV
U = Standard Transmission
216983 = Vehicle number
G = Abington Assembly Plant
BODY / INTERIOR / TRIMThe body is finished in a beautiful shade of ‽MG Orange” one of the classic mid-60's British colors and an especially attractive color on the MG Midget. Personally, we have always loved this color on the sporty MG Midget. The car retains factory original paint, including in the engine bay, door jambs, and trunk areas. The MG has contrasting black interior. The entire interior is in very nice condition with the normal 40 years of use but, unlike many examples that we see, free from significant damage as the photos show. There are a few areas on the passenger seat, especially the headrest, that have been repaired with tape, and are easily repaired by an upholstery shop, or the headrest could simply be removed for a more "period appearance.”
The MG is rare that it appears to have original paint and, with the exception of some minor brush touch-ups that are hardly noticeable. It retains a high gloss and is free from any significant body damage, indication of prior accidents, or any partial paint work. There are a few minor indentations (including outward minor dings) caused by leaving an oil can in the engine and attempting to close the hood. The paint shows very well due in large part to its limited use and being garaged for the large majority of the time and the cars use as an ‽occasional car.” Please keep in mind that this car has less than 79K miles!
In addition to being very attractive cosmetically, this car has incredibly strong ‽bones” that suggests that it has never been involved in an accident and the body and chassis are free from rust & rot.
An in-depth inspection of the MG body reveals a solid chassis and floor pans. There has been no patching of floor boards and the chassis members are rust free, straight and lacking damage. The typical rust prone areas (jacking points, rocker panels, front fenders, rear quarter panels, floors, etc.) are free from rust.
The trunk area is totally straight and free from any rust and completely solid. The trunk shows no rust, or damage. The spare tire well contains a wire wheel (original) spare with a new tire.
The hood and trunk line up well, with even gaps, and close easily and securely. The underside of the hood is clean and free of dirt, oil and grease. The trunk underside is also clean and it fits well.
The door locks operate properly as does the lock on the glove box door. The hood releases and locks properly using the inside hood release on the left inside of the car.
The exterior trim is in very good condition, as well. The front and rear bumpers have little or no damage. The ‽bright work” is also in very good condition including, but not limited to the window trim, emblems, headlight trim rings, etc.
The side windows are free from cracks and damage, including the front windshield. The windshield is free from ‽wiper marks” or scratches that are caused as a result of damaged but not replaced rubber blades.
The tires are in excellent condition and are a matched set of the proper size tires for the MG and were replaced (all 4) 5,000 miles ago. The wheels are the originals and are in very nice condition.
The interior remains in its factory original configuration including the seats, gauges, door panels, and other trim. A radio that appears to have been installed by the dealer in 1979 is still functional with marginal quality.
The interior on the MG is in very good overall condition. The front seats, door panels, and carpeting show well with only minor ‽patina” and appropriate signs of wear. The interior panels are also in very nice condition and free from damage. The carpeting matches the interior colors (black) and is in nice condition. The top has recently been replaced and looks like new with a totally clear rear window. The car comes with a rear convertible boot cover, and a full tonneau cover, both in very nice condition. This car has been exceptionally well cared for and the interior reflects that care.
The top dash pad is in perfect condition, free from any cracks, warping or damage. The trim and dash surrounds are also excellent and free from damage. The gauges are in fully functional condition and reflect readings well within acceptable ranges. The car runs cool and the oil pressure reads 70+ lbs. when the car is warm!
ENGINE & MECHANICAL COMPONENTS
It is refreshing to see an older MG Midget in this kind of overall condition. When we had the car inspected by an independent repair facility and it passed the California safety inspection. The mechanic commented that this is ‽A really nice original car that has clearly had recent major work performed to the engine and possibly the transmission / clutch.” The inspections revealed fully a fully functional electrical system.
Other major items were also inspected and found to be well within acceptable limits. These included brakes, tires, steering / suspension and other major drive-line components. The car passed the California required safety inspection and no rust through was found in the frame or undercarriage.
While the MG did not accumulate significant miles during this owner's care, it was used for the occasional weekend drives by its very careful, particular owner. When the car was first acquired it was taken to a British car specialist for a ‽cost no object” assessment and maintenance and has been obsessively maintained ever since. No prolonged storage, no deferred maintenance, and treatment to every need by its elderly, particular owner. Note: the photos of the receipts will provide the prospective buyer with a feel for the scope of the maintenance that is entirely too long to list in detail.
With ongoing maintenance like this, it will come as no surprise that the MG runs and drives extremely well. As a carbureted model, the car starts immediately whether warm or cold with the use of the choke. The MG car runs better and stronger (due in part to the larger, factory 1500cc engine) extremely well and there are no issues with major components, including; the engine and transmission, rear end, brakes and suspension.
The engine does not smoke, have any unusual noises, or exhibit any problems. There are no major leaks to indicate serious problems and is especially dry for a British car of this vintage (although minor ‽seeping” is a reality of all vintage British cars!). The MG idles smoothly at approximately 1000 rpm, and does not hesitate, or have any drivability issues. The car runs cool, even in our 100+ degree California weather and has never overheated or exhibited starting problems.
The transmission is excellent and all of the synchromesh gears (all 4) function perfectly. There is no excessive noise in the drive-line and the clutch engages properly, and without slippage, chattering or fuss. The brakes work well and stop the car straight and sure. The emergency brake holds even on steeper grades.
The engine and engine bay are very tidy and show only the normal amount of accumulation of dirt, but there are no indications of significant oil leakage. We have owned/driven a large number of MG cars over the years, and can with confidence, say that this is a really nice running/driving car that will provide years of future enjoyment to its new owner.
The MG just passed California's strict smog inspection, one of the strictest in the U.S., with flying colors.
Of course, the MG is currently registered in California and is being sold with a clear, transferable California title. The MG Midget has always been garaged when not in use and the repair records referenced earlier (along with the cars original owner' s manual are included.
THE MG MIDGET HISTORYThe MG Midget was produced from 1961 through 1979 with just over 226,000 examples produced. Due to the additional horsepower, the company placed disc brakes on the front to aide in quicker stopping.
The Midget was a simple vehicle that offered minimal amenities but provided its owner with an opportunity to enjoy a reasonably priced sports car with excellent handling and fun, ‽top-down” fun. Over the years, the car was continually improved with disc brakes added, roll-up windows, upgraded rear suspension set-up, and considerably increased performance and horsepower, and a host of other cosmetic and mechanical improvements.
The MG Midget 1500 was introduced in 1974 and produced until December 7th, 1979. Many of the changes that occurred were in cooperation with ever escalation safety and government regulations and standards. A safer bumper arrangement existed, as did other safety features including an improved dashboard. To improve the strength of the vehicle the rounded wheel arches became square. A new engine could now be found under the hood; it was a 1493 cc engine that could also be found in the Triumph Spitfire. All four gears were now synchromesh. The car was the best driving / performing car of all of the MG Midgets produced during its long run.
In total there were 73,899 examples of the Midget 1500 created.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 965 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Z06 by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Convertible
|California Lic & Reg|
Chrome Clasp Seat Belts
Clear Title Included
Convertible Boot Cover
Exempt from CA Smog
Factory Bucket Seats
Front Disc Brakes
Front Sway Bar
Heater / Defroster
| ||Incredible "Survivor"|
No Rust CA. Body
Original California Car
Original Sheet Metal
Period AM Radio
Rear Storage Area
Runs / Drives Very Well
Cover Now Off - Nice Original Wheel