1989 LaForza Automobiles 5 Door SUV
HIGHLY UNIQUE "ALL PURPOSE" VEHICLE!!
ONLY 57,000~ MILES
A RARE OPPORTUNITY TO OWN A LAFORZA!
LA FORZA - HISTORY
What did the 1989 Car & Driver road test have to say about the new LaForza? The following represents some of their remarks/observations:
Laforza. It means "the force, power, or strength" in Italian. And, although the La Forza uses an American Ford 5.0 liter engine, and a stout, Chrysler four-wheel drive system, the La Forza is Indeed Italian. It has a suspension derived from a Fiat built army truck, a sumptuous leather interior, and an all steel body that spends nine hours going though the same Pinninfarina line where the Ferrari Testarossa is painted. of the La Forza.
The cavernous LaForza interior seats five in comfort, is trimmed with fine burl walnut, and has six-way power adjustable front seats. The rear seat can be removed in seconds without tools, leaving 96 cubic feet of cargo space - even with the full size spare tire in place. The LaForza pampers its occupants with an "audio-phile quality sound system but can also tow a, 8,000 lb. trailer up a seven degree grade at 30 mph for 30 minutes on a 100 degree day without overheating. And, that's with the Air conditioning and stereo on! Ford Motor Company administers the warranty.
So, what manner of automobile is this? Well, it's just about any you want it to be, except a sports car. The LaForza was designed, as an all-purpose, very high-end vehicle similar is some respect to the Range Rover. It is however, considerably more unique and reliable considering it's stout American mechanical components.
The LaForza was engineered/designed by Dario Trucco who also played a major role in the design of the Rayton Fissore Magnum, another unique, high quality multi purpose vehicle. However, the LaForza saw a complete re-design including new chassis, suspension, power train and styling. Even the body shell, originally styled by Turing based, expatriate American industrial designer Tom jaarda, has been revised in detail through extensive wind tunnel testing aimed especially at improved cooling.
The result is a rolling chassis-body that Pinninfarina assembles in Turin, Italy, paints and trims and ships to Brighton, Michigan where the Detroit power train is installed.
Ford's Power Products Division builds the engine itself. It is a 5.0-liter, V8 engine that is specifically designed for use with the LaForza. It includes a high profile, multi-port fuel injection system, not the low low-lying unit from the Mustang. This accounts for the bulge in the hood. The transmission is Ford, 4 speed automatic.
The Chrysler transfer case offers both low & high range four wheel drive as well as normal rear, 2wheel drive. The unit can be shifted into 4 wheel drive "on the fly" with a push of a dashboard button. There is a viscous coupling, and a limited slip differential in the rear. At the front is an enormously sturdy equal-length control arm suspension with torsion bars, and disc brakes. The rear suspension setup is a live axle on five leaf springs. Minimum ground clearance is 6.8 inches.
The LaForza organization calls this vehicle "The most versatile luxury automobile in the world." It is hard for use to find fault with that statement.
THE LAFORZA - SPECIFICATIONS & EQUIPMENT
For those of you that are unfamiliar with the LaForza, the vehicle has an impressive list of standard features that include:
* Electronically fuel-injected 5.0 liter Ford V8
* Four-speed automatic transmission
* Shift on the fly, selectable four-wheel drive with smooth viscous coupling
* Five separate cooling systems with independent ducting and radiators for engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and air conditioning unit
STEERING & BRAKES
* Power assisted front disc brakes
* Power assisted rack & pinion steering
CHASSIS & SUSPENSION
* Box-ladder constructed steel frame
* Heavy-duty independent front suspension, with double wishbone, torsion bar design. Full floating axle rear suspension, with proportional leaf springs.
* High-pressure gas-charged shock absorbers
* One-piece aluminum sport wheels with radial tires
* Six way power front seats
* Power windows
* Power sliding & tilting moon roof
* Dual power operated & heated side view mirrors
* Key chain remote locking system & alarm
* Leather featured interior including seats, dashboard, console and door panels
* Tilt steering column
* Cruise control
* Fully reclining front seats
* Intermittent windshield wipers
* Rear window defogger
* Rear window wiper / washer
* Pouches on front doors and front seat backs
* Overall length: 179.9"
* Wheelbase: 106.0"
* Track - Front & Rear: 67.8"
* Overall height: 72.6"
* Ground clearance: 6.75"
* Front headroom: 38"
* Front hip room: 62.0"
* Front legroom: 48.0"
* Rear headroom: 37.0"
* Rear hip room: 65.0"
* Rear leg room: 44.0"
* Cargo space - seat up: 40.53"
* Cargo space - seat folded: 81.58"
* Vehicle weight: 5520 lbs.
* Fuel capacity: 27.5 gal
* Fuel mileage: 20~highway
CONDITION OF THE LAFORZA
With just over 57.000 miles, the LaForza runs and drives exceptionally well. This example was originally purchased in California and has remained in the State its entire life. It is amazing clean in every respect, as the photographs indicate.
The car has been well maintained over the year and the file of service records is included with the LaForza. The foremost LaForza specialist in the country, LaForza MZ, Los Angeles, CA, serviced the vehicle.
In fact within the past few thousand miles, the following work was performed on the LaForza:
* New fuel pump and rubber gasket assembly
* New fuel gauge
* Re-wire wiper Motor
* Corrected vacuum issue to ensure that the 4x4 system engages properly
* Repair driver side door locks and ensure that all power locks are full functional
* Installed new throttle plate
* Repaired front driver seat mechanism
* Safety inspection including headlights, brake lights, turn signals, dimmers, etc (all functional)
* New window lock button
* Repair/replace air conditioning hose assembly
In addition to the above ongoing maintenance type repairs/service, the LaForza has received regular oil changes and maintenance. Considering the very low mileage, the vehicle has not required any major engine work, with the exception of the complete overhaul of the transfer case. This repair came as a result of the fluid being low (not checked properly). The repairs were extensive and completed at 49,941 miles (just under 8,000 miles ago). Specifically, the repairs included the following:
* Overhaul transfer case
* Replace case half
* New input gear
* Replace range fork
* New viscous coupling
* Add the necessary fluids / gaskets
The LaForza has had a complete oil change and inspection. Additionally, the LaForza just passed California's new stringent dynamometer test and a clean certificate will be provided top the new owner.
The LaForza has no know mechanical defects, everything works and the vehicle is reliable, safe and solid. Parts are available from Southern California source and, of course, the Ford engine and transmission can be serviced by virtually any local repair facility.
This particular LaForza starts up immediately and runs very strong, indeed. The LaForza does not smoke, have any engine noise or leak excessive fluids. The brakes are excellent, and stop the vehicle straight and sure. The emergency brake is fully functional.
The steering does not exhibit any excessive play and is, of course, power assisted. The steering wheel tilts to accommodate various size drivers. There is no noise in the driveline and the LaForza drives very well even at speed well in excess of posted highway limits.
DRIVING THE LAFORZA - CAR & DRIVER ROAD TEST.CONT.
Again, the Car & Driver road test says it best.."There's nothing brutal about the driving experience - either on road, or off road. One sits high, enthroned in a magnificent leather seat that misses perfection only through lack of an adjustable lumbar support. The steering wheel is well placed, adjustable, and satisfyingly plump Momo unit covered with Saturo leather, the same as Porsche cars. It also sports ideally placed horn pads for the thumbs. The leather and walnut dash seems almost expansive enough to fit a class "A" motorhome. The simple, clean VDO instruments look as if they grew into place. Visibility is generally superb, marred only by the massive A pillars."
Car & Driver goes on to say.."In motion the LaForza feels surprisingly handy, even nimble; the turning circle is only 30 feet. Acceleration is adequate. The vehicle rides well on city streets and very well on open highways, although one is always aware of the sinew of the suspension. No combination of washboard ruts, stones, logs, sudden drop offs, and surprise "yumps" seemed able to find the bump stops. The steering effort and feel are just right under all conditions. Dust control in the cabin is impressive, too. This is one off road vehicle that doesn't make you long for the off-roading experience to end."
As LaForza literature indicates, "The LaForza has been designed and developed to be used - to be a serious and drivable vehicle - a go anywhere, do-anything vehicle.
Certainly, we can't argue with these observations. Our owner has been driving the LaForza as his personal vehicle because, frankly, it satisfies many of our requirements for a vehicle. It is highly unique, versatile, dependable, fun to drive and (did we mention this?) very unusual.
Simply stated, this cars exterior has the appearance of vehicle that is only a few years old. The body itself is very straight with no damage, signs of previous accident repair, or even noticeable door dents/dings. It is in absolutely lovely condition and reflects a high level of care by the previous owner.
The exterior paint has a brilliant gloss and consistent throughout. There is no indication of previous accident damage and the car fax shows a completely clear history from any accidents, theft, flood, odometer rollbacks, or any other "suspicious" activity. The panels line up extremely well, including the doors, rear hatch and hood. The rear hatch releases electronically fro a switch on the dash and also can be released manually by using a hidden release that is mounted under the bumper.
The front and rear bumpers do not have any damage, parking scrapes, or dents. The paint on the bumpers is as good as the rest of the LaForza. The bumpers are virtually perfect, and fit without unusual gaps.
The wheels (a beautiful design) do not have any "curbing" or other damage, and the tires are excellent. The full size spare is mounted in the rear and covered by the original spare tire cover. The glass is free from any stars or scratches.
The LaForza is equipped with a towing package. A black metal panel that can be easily removed discreetly hides the hitch. The vehicle also is equipped with a high quality device that provides braking for use when pulling a trailer (mounted on the left side of the steering wheel).
The interior is equally as good as the exterior and, again, the photographs tell the story better than words. The car has spectacular, opulent leather interior that is free from any rips, tears or wear areas and has been carefully maintained in a fashion that is consistent with the cars mechanical care. The interior is trimmed in actual burl wood in similar to that found on Rolls Royce and other very high-end vehicles. It is right up there with the most beautifully appointed interiors that we have seen. Small, but elegant touches include the letter "L" embroidered tastefully on the back of the front and rear seat head rests.
There is leather on the seats, door panels, center console and even the dashboard is finished in rich, high quality leather. It is simply brilliant! The condition of the seats both front and rear is excellent. Any minor flaws in the interior require considerable effort to locate. There are NO rips, tears, or damage on the seats, door panels, or dash. The six way power seats (both sides) are functional. The lock on the center console is in place, but does not work (it is missing a clip on the back of the lock). The glove box locks.
There is wood (burl wood) on the dash and the upper portions of each door, front and rear. It is in very good condition with only a few VERY small, hardly noticeable areas where the clear coat has come off on the bottom portion of the wood. Again, this is hardly noticeable and does not detract for the appearance of the interior. There is no splitting, cracking or warping of the wood like we see on many other luxury cars that are adorned with REAL wood.
All of the gauges/instruments are fully functional and are high quality, VDO brand. The oil pressure is excellent and the water temperature never goes above normal operating range regardless of the ambient temperature and driving conditions. The separate cooling systems (mentioned earlier) are extremely effective. The heating systems, vents and other dash controls are all 100% functional. The air conditioning works exceptionally wells and blows ice cold. All of the lighting systems are functional, as well.
The sunroof (moon roof) works and is controlled by a switch that is located near the roof. The light gray headliner is slightly soiled in some areas and is beginning to separate form the underside of the roof in a few areas, as well. It is not ripped or damaged, nor is it falling down. However, it could stand to be re-glued in order to bring the appearance of the headliner to the high quality of the rest of the interior and exterior of the LaForza.
The carpeting is excellent and is covered, both front and rear, by high quality coordinating black-carpeted mats. The rear cargo carpet is very good with only one sign of wear on the far corner of the passenger side. The rear seat folds easily and the storage area is significant. The seat can be removed without tools for additional space.
The original remote contol unit and extra keys are included with the LaForza (door and ignition key). We do not know if the remote door system is functional, since the battery in the remote appears to be "dead." So,, for the purtpose of this listing, we re going to er on the safe side and say that it doesn't work. However, the rmemote unit, burlar alarm horn and all of the original components for the remote/alarm appear to be in place.
The engine bay is all original and has not been altered. The engine is in its stock configuration and is in clean, but not over detailed condition. The LaForza has just received a complete service including oil, filter, lube and fluid checks.
MISCELLANEOUS / ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
* Clearly, the LaForza will not appeal to everyone. We believe, however, that it will be of interest to buyers that have an interest highly unique "all purpose" vehicle for use on an exclusive resort, country property, or beach house. Or, purchase the LaForza to impress your friends and neighbors that are driving just another Range Rover, Hummer, or the like!
* In 1989, the LaForza (delivered with tax, license, etc) would have cost its fortunate owner in excess of $50,000. Today, they are virtually impossible to find. This particular LaForza may well be the nicest example available in the market today and we are pleased to offer this absolutely like new car (with warranty) for a fraction of that price.
* We encourage telephone calls to discuss in greater details the condition/specifics of this amazing LaForza. It is difficult to fully describe how nice an example this is, but we welcome "walk around" telephone discussions in order to answer any questions that you may have.
* We will be glad to discuss a sale of the car prior to the end of the listing on EBay, and ask that interested parties call us at 925-846-1451 for additional information / specifics.
* We enjoy excellent relationships with a number of transport companies and, as a result, can often times obtain preferred pricing for vehicle shipping. Please give us a call and we will be glad to refer you to suitable transport companies. Needless to say, we would recommend a quality, enclosed transporter that is experience with moving high quality, collectible cars.
* Please review our feedback on EBay (user name never22many) for our history of successful sales to out of state/country buyers. Our feedback consists of a total of over 250+ positive transactions on EBay. Also, please consider the benefits of buying from Classic Cars Ltd., including:
* We have operated a "brick & mortar" business in the same small town for close to 15 years.
* We are fully insured and licensed for collector vehicle sales
* Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
* We are experienced with out of state, and out of country transactions, and regularly transport vehicles all over the country
* We handle all of the vehicle paperwork and ensure that licensing/transfer of the vehicle into your name/state is not a problem
* All arrangements and details are handled by our owner who has in excess of 35 years experience with all types of sports and high performance vehicles
* As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our EBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for close to 15 years. We operate a small, indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
Classic Cars Ltd. regularly transports vehicles out of state, and is familiar with quality transporters that offer a variety of services (enclosed, open transport, door to door vs. terminal shipping, etc) to our customers. Please call us at 925-846-1451 if we can provide a specific shipping quotation to your location, and discuss the appropriate alternatives for your needs.
We frequently sell vehicles to out of state buyers / out of country buyers, and are proud of our 100% positive EBay feedback ratings on over 250 transactions. Please review our EBay feedback for specific comments on our service to our customers.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|Transmission: ||4 Speed Automatic
Factory Center Console
Fog / Driving Lights
Front Disc Brakes
Front Sway Bar
| ||Leather Seats|
Original Owners Manual