1972 BMW 2002tii
Desirable "Roundie” 2002tii
One Owner for 45 Years - Purchased with 25 Miles & Lifelong Local Car
A Truly Exceptional, High End Example!
Exquisite Blend of Originality & Restoration
- Minimal Subtle Improvements
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the BMW and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the BMW can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
THIS PARTICULAR BMW 2002tii
While we have posted 100~ photos of most parts of the BMW, and have a large number of additional photographs that we will gladly make available to serious buyers. We are unable to provide our Website address, but we ask that you google Classic Cars Ltd., Pleasanton, CA and call or email us for information. Our number is 925-846-1451.
Informed BMW 2002tii enthusiasts are most certainly aware of the significant increase in the value of round tail 2002tii's. As an example, the respected CPI (Cars of Particular Interest) paces a value of over $50,000.00 on an example like this and does not factor in the cars long term ownership of 45 years, California lineage, rust free body, mechanical condition, desirable color, recent other upgrades and other features. Recently a restored 2002tii sold for $93,000.00. We believe the old adage that ‽A car can be restored over and over again, but it only original once.” For those who agree, this is a car to consider and it is available for considerably less than cars of a lesser quality that have sold for prices in excess of $50K and, in some cases, approach $100K.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS BMW, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE BMW. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP” OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 920+ positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS - "THIS PARTICULAR 1973 BMW 2002tiiHISTORY
This desirable LATE MODEL 1972 BMW 2002tii represents a truly exceptional example of a "tii" that was purchased new from now defunct Weber Motors, just 25 miles from our location. The BMW was owned for one family for 45~ years, initially but Mr. B. and gifted t his son-in-law in 2001, 2 years prior to his death in 2003. The cars history is documented in a letter from Mr. B's daughter confirming its history, accurate mileage of 86,525, and other details of the cars history and features.
The car carries VIN number 2761358 and retains its original matching engine, transmission and many other original components. USA produced BMW 2002tii's carried serial numbers of 2761358 (April/1971) to 2764522 (August, 1973). This "tii” was produced in factory Verona red, code 024 and received a comprehensive, all trim removed (including all windows, bumpers, exterior trim) professional re-spray. The complete repaint included the entire trunk area, underside of the hood, door jambs, etc. While the car was repainted several years ago, the car was driven only a few thousand miles by its collector owner and spent most of its time in the garage next to other collectibles including a "Prancing Horse.”
When the car was acquired by the son-in-law, a Ferrari owner and sports car enthusiast, a number of improvements were completed along with subtle period style upgrades. It is important to note that other than easily reversible changes (wheels, improved exhaust system, steering wheel, upgraded Bilstein shocks/springs, and front & rear struts) the objective was to keep the BMW in largely stock, factory configuration. The 2002tii retains its original engine, transmission, and many other factory original components. Mechanically it is excellent, and received the required maintenance despite its minimal use to keep it in excellent running and cosmetic condition.
Within the previous 100~ miles, a new dash was fitted to the BMW including all new heater controls, dash cluster, wiring and heater vents. A front factory windshield was installed at the time along with new rubber seals. Additionally, the BMW benefited from new BMW style 13” TPS Alloy wheels & new Kuhmo. The "tii” includes 4 recently restored original, matching # steel wheels and hubcaps, along with the factory mounted spare, tools, and jack (refer to photos). Other work included rebuilding the clock, the addition of a new rear exhaust tip, and a variety of other items to bring the car into its current spectacular condition.
Underbody photos show the very original, solid condition of the drivetrain, suspension, and floors. It is essential to note that the BMW floors and chassis members remain free from any paintwork, or after production undercoating or painting. There has been no attempt, or need, to cover up or prepare the original excellent underside and the photos reflect its clean, oil/grease free nature. As BMW aficionados are aware, rust is a primary concern with 2002's. As an extremely limited use, always garaged, inland California car, this example is free from any signs of rust, rot or decay in the usual places including: rear shock towers, front floor pan below the pedal box is another common rust spot, passenger and driver-side floor pan. The outer rocker panels are rock solid and there is no indication or report of previous repairs, rust, or filler. The front fenders around the turn signal lamps and adjacent to the door gap, and the outer wheel well lip on the rear quarter panels are also immaculate. The spare tire well is totally dry and the entire rear trunk area (including the trunk underside and hood underside) were repainted when the car received a ‽complete”, professional re-paint. This included removing all of the trim including front and rear glass, side windows, bumpers, belt-line mouldings, lights, and removal and replacement of all rubber and felts.
This car has been extremely well maintained including the addition of rebuilt Bilstein HD shocks, and fresh bushings throughout. A brake system overhaul included stainless hoses as well as new pads and rotors. The brake booster and calipers were rebuilt and new wheel bearings were installed by the seller.
The interior is immaculate and, with the exception of a tasteful Momo steering wheel, completely stock. The entire interior presents as a car just a few years old including the exceptional original headliner, visors, and recently replaced entire dashboard and related items
The engine bay and trunk areas are equally clean and properly configured. The spare tire well is totally free from signs of damage or rust. The original tools, spare, and jack are included and in excellent condition. We have photos of the original steel wheels that have been restored and could be installed for the cars new owner.
Those interested in an exceptional 2002tii are encouraged to call us to discuss the car as it is available prior to the end of the eBay auction.
We are the first to admit that we are not totally objective when it comes to the "Roundie” tii's.” We have loved these cars since ‽the day” and owned several when they were just a few years old. Apparently rising values suggest others agree that the 2002tii represents one of the classic sporting sedans of all time.
BMW won its reputation in the 1960's / 1970's because they offered a wonder blend of comfortable, practicality, high ‽fun-to-drive” quotient, and were very fast when released in the late 60's. This is the combination that defined BMW and has resulted in a very loyal following ever since . As the 2002 developed into the 3-Series, it became highly respected but larger, more complicated and faster. Some would argue that the original simplicity of the 2002 as a true sporting sedan was lost. After all, it was the early BMW 2002 that first led Americans to turn their hymnals to verse 2002.
A recent drive in the BMW took us away from the office with the staff asking ‽Where in the heck did he go”. Well, the answer has to do with our most recent arrival, a bright Verona red 2002tii that was parked in one of our reserved spots, just waiting to go for some exercise on a beautiful, sunny California day.
As we take our place behind the wheel, we are reminded of the excellent ‽greenhouse” vision provide by the "02.” You sit relatively high and the narrow front and rear pillars provide unobstructed visibility in all directions. A glance at the dash provides a reminder that the 2002 characterizes functional, German engineering at its best. It is simple yet well designed, and purposeful.
Due to the maintenance that this car has received, the BMW comes to life immediately and idles without evenly, just below 1,000 rpm. The fuel injection is efficient and requires little warm up but we take a minute to look at the car and can't help be impressed with our surroundings. The interior is exceptional, totally free from damage with a perfect dash, clear gauges, and excellent carpet. Once temperature need rises slightly, the idle settles down the car runs smoothly at just below 1,000 rpm. The engine is free from any noises as is the entire drive-line.
The BMW offers excellent performance from its smooth-running engine. The clutch engages as designed and the shifting is characteristically short and firm, making the car a delight to drive. The BMW is tight, free from rattles and squeaks, and surprisingly tight for a collector coupe that is over 45 years old. The steering on this car is tight with virtually no play attributed in large part to the upgraded Bilstein shocks/springs and other improvements that make the suspension firm but well damped and the steering precise and certain. The brakes stop the car straight and sure due to the improvements and stainless steel lines. The e-brake is properly adjusted and fully functional.
As we drive further, we are reminded that this car offers an excellent driving position and would make a great long distance touring, or club rally car, in addition to being a practical, fast and fun every day or weekend car for use on those twisty back roads.
As we pick up the pace, it becomes clear that this "tii” is noticeably quicker than a stock 2002 Coupe that we recently enjoyed. An analysis of road test results supports our seat of the pants impressions.
This particular car runs and drives extremely well and is totally ready to enjoy. As was stated in a publication many years ago: ‽Simply stated, the BMW 2002 is the hot-looking partner that you've been seeking, will enjoy on your first date, and never tire of spending time with.”
• California smog test not required for vehicles 1975 and older
• Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
• 4 recently restored original, matching steel wheels and mounted spare included
• Original tools, tool roll, jack and Owner's Manual
• Car Cover
• Miscellaneous ‽take-offs” including old and new stainless trim, hub-caps, etc.
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1973 BMW 2002
• BMW M10 single overhead cam I4 engine, 1990 cc, inclined at 30 degrees
• 94 hp @ 5500 rpm, 116 lb-ft torque @ 3500 rpm
• 0-62 mph in 9.8~ sec
• Top speed 120~ mph
• 4 speed manual synchromesh transmission
• Wheelbase 98.4 inches
BMW 2002tii MECHANICAL FEATURES / BENEFITS
The BMW 2002tii offered a host of improvements over the base BMW 2002 including:
• Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection.
• Higher compression (9.0:1 vs. 8.5:1 on standard 2002).
• Larger intake valves (46mm vs.44mm on standard 2002).
• Larger brakes (larger front rotors/calipers/pads (256mm or 10.8" diameter), larger rear drum wheel cylinders (17.46mm or 11/16" diameter), and larger master cylinder diameter (23mm vs. 20mm on standard 2002), and larger / longer brake booster (6" length and 7" diameter).
• Stronger suspension components including strengthened control arms, spindles and hubs.
• Larger hubs
• Larger spindles (larger in diameter with caliper bolt holes further apart than the standard 2002 - see images).
• Boxed rear trailing arms.
• 1/2 inch wider wheels (5” X 13” vs 4 ½” X 13” on standard 2002).
• The 1972 BMM 2002was devoid of the full emission controls including the thermal reactor, air pump, that strangled the engine in 1975-1976
• Alternator mounted down low (below battery).
• Oil return line in engine block for injection pump, with a feed line in the oil filter head.
• Larger diameter exhaust manifold (see comparison image with standard manifold).
• On a standard 2002 car, the dust cap for the suspension strut is flat at the end where it sticks through the wheel. The Tii version is rounded and larger (3.5" vs 3").
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 21 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping, or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 920+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
-We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this BMW by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their 200tii's and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|Exterior Color:||Verona Red|
|Engine:||4 Cylinder Inline
|Transmission: ||4 Speed Manual
|Alloy Valve Cover|
Front Disc Brakes
| ||Momo Steering Wheel|
Original Jack & Tools
Steering Column VIN
Other Engine Bay Stickers in Place
More Photos Available 925-846-1451