The Proud Owner After A Total Restoration!
1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1957 Cadillac Convertible - One California Owner since 1958!
Fresh Restoration Just Completed
By Advanced Auto Restoration, Pleasanton, CA.
Absolutely Spectacular Car with Restoration Documentation
1957 CADILLAC HISTORY - SERIES 62 CONVERTIBLE
For 1957, Cadillac adopted a tubular X-frame, without side rails, on all models. This resulted in greater structural rigidity and provided for lower body lines without loss of useable space. New front end styling was marked by rubber bumper guard tips and dual, circular parking lamps set into the lower bumper section. Side trim was revised and a dual taillight theme was used throughout the line. By utilizing different center frame sections, the wheelbases and overall lengths of specific body styles was altered. In the 62 lineup, including the Eldorado sub-series, three different overall measurements appeared on cars with matching wheelbases. The Sedan DeVille was bigger than "standard" models and the Eldorado Coupe Seville and Biarritz convertible were larger still. Identifying the "standard" 62 models were:
- Vertical bright metal moldings, just forward of the rear wheel openings, highlighted by seven horizontal windsplits.
- At the upper end this fender break trim joined a horizontal molding that ran along a conical flare extending forward from the tail lamps.
- A crest medallion was seen on the forward angled rear fins.
- Coupe Deville's and Sedan Deville's had special nameplates on the front fenders.
- The rear fender and deck contour was sleekly rounded and the wheel housing was trimmed with broad, sculptured stainless steel beauty panels.
- Also seen were pointed, "shark" style fins pointing towards the back of the cars.
- A three-section built-in front bumper was another exclusive trait of the two luxury cars, which came with a long list of standard accessories.
1957 Cadillac Series 62 Eldorado
Model Series 62 Eldorado
Body Style HT Coupe
Engine Location Front
Drive Type Rear Wheel
Production Years for Series 1954 - 1958
Weight 4809 lbs | 2181.4 kg
Engine Configuration V
Hydraulic valve lifters
Displacement 365.00 CU IN. | 5982.4 cc. | 6 L.
Valves 16 valves.
2 valves per cylinder.
Horsepower 325.00 BHP (239.2 KW) @ 4800.00 RPM
Torque 400.00 Ft-Lbs (542.4 NM) @ 3300.00 RPM
HP to Weight Ratio 14.8 LB / HP (Vehicles with similar ratio)
HP / Liter 54.2 BHP / Liter
Bore 4.00 in | 101.6 mm.
Stroke 3.65 in | 92.7 mm.
Compression Ratio 10.0:1
Main Bearings 5
Fuel Type Gasoline - Petrol
Fuel Feed Carburetor
Carter 4 BBL
Vehicles with similar horsepower and weight
Final Drive 3.36
1957 CADILLAC - THIS PARTICULCAR CAR -HISTORY
We pleased to say that we receive our share of truly exceptional, restored vehicles from the 1950's and 1960's. It is unusual, however, that we see a Cadillac of this caliber that has not only been restored by a professional Cadillac restorer, but is also completely "fresh", having been completed within the past month.
Perhaps even more unusual is the fact that the Cadillac was purchased by the current owner in 1958 (hard to believe, but almost 50 years ago!), when the car was only 1 year old! It has been owned by Mrs. R. ever since, and the car has never left California. Mr. & Mrs. R's daughters learned to drive on the Cadillac and the car was the pride and joy of Mr. R., a long time Cadillac owner and fan. Only Cadillac's would do, and the Series 62 convertible (a very expensive car at over $7500.00 delivered) was his choice in 1958. His daughter reports that this very Cadillac was delivered to its original owner by a bay area Cadillac dealer (Oakland, CA.) and re-sold to them in 1958 when it was one year old. Then, Mr. R. purchased the car from that very same dealership a year later, in 1958.
Over the years the owner has had countless requests from interested prospective buyers ranging from the mechanics that serviced the car to strangers that would knock on the door asking if they could buy the car! Instead of selling their pride and joy, they decided to have the car restored to its original glory and that dream has now been satisfied.
The restoration process actually began over 10 years ago, when Mr. R. was still living, and the goal was to bring the car back to its original magnificent condition. Well, unfortunately, Mr. R. passed away shortly after the restoration effort was begun by the initial restorer and, frankly, the process did not go as smoothly as the wife and daughter anticipated. While the quality of work was extremely high, so were the charges, and little was provided in the way of documentation of labor and materials. The end result was an investment of some $50,000.00 for paint (extremely high quality), some disassembly/assembly, and mechanical work.
Disappointed by the progress (or lack of) and cost, the vehicle was moved to Advanced Auto Restoration, Pleasanton, CA. in 2003 (refer to photos showing delivery of the car) to complete the restoration and bring the car to show level condition. Paul Scatena personally took charge of the restoration and, after 4 years, proudly presented the owner (refer to photos) with her "new" 1957 Cadillac Series 62 convertible in restored condition. During this time frame an additional $45,000 to $50,000 was invested in the Cadillac resulting in a significant investment to restore the car to this absolutely incredible condition.
What was involved in the restoration of this magnificent automobile? Well, to say that the restoration was extensive would be a dramatic understatement. The car was virtually completely disassembled and every nut and bolt of the interior, exterior, trunk, engine bay was inspected, renewed, or replaced with NOS (New Old Stock) component parts. Relying on significant previous experience with Cadillac's, Advanced Auto Restorations ensured that the car was not only restored to the highest quality, but that virtually everything was correct for this particular car. Many of the original, factory original parts were utilized after they were powder coated, bead blasted (or both).
The photographs of the in process restoration are entirely too numerous to list but we have 20 photographs on another listing to show to provide the prospective buyer with a sense of the level of detail that went into this restoration. Also, the interested buyer gains a very good appreciation for the present condition of the car by reviewing the 80+ photos of the car in its current condition. In this case the old saying "A photograph is worth a thousand words" has great application.
Please also note that this car is items that we understand were optional for the 1957 Cadillac, including:
* Signal Seeking Pre Selector Radio
* Heating System & Defroster
* License Plate Frames (Front & Rear)
* Whitewall Tires
Finally, the new owner of this lovely automobile will receive the following documentation:
- Over 40 pages of "diary" summarizes in great detail the work that was performed on the Cadillac
- Extensive, detailed photographs of the restoration of parts, assembly, etc (approximately 75)
- Owner's manual
- Photographs of the long-term owner with the car immediately after the restoration was completed
- A personalized letter to the new owner from the long-term owner congratulating them on the purchase and confirming ownership
- Clear, California title
1957 CADILLAC SERIES 62 CONVERTIBLE - CONDITION
While this Cadillac convertible was restored to a show level by professionals, the car is a drivable, usable collector vehicle. In fact, everyone that has driven the car that has had exposure to the mid-50's Chevrolets agrees that this particular car runs and drives extremely well. The Cadillac was not built to be a "trailer queen" although it clearly has potential for being shown at any level based on its condition, and restoration quality.
As a professional restoration of an original, Cadillac convertible, it is clear that the owners and restorers recognized the value of this particular vehicle and, as a result, paid attention to the smallest details. This extra effort (and knowledge as to what is and is not original) is often times what separates an amateur restoration from a professional one and adds significantly to the long-term value, and collectibility of a specialty/collector car. A few examples include:
* Functional clock
* Trunk (jack) stickers
* Correct engine stickers & engine bay stickers
* Proper jack in correct mounting location / correct trunk sticker
* Detailed VIN plate & front engine ID plate
* Detailed engine bay (Interstate battery should be changed with a NOS style Delco variety for true authenticity)
* Retention (and restoration) of original parts vs. use of inexpensive replacement components
* Considerable effort to ensure fully functional power windows, power radio antenna, radio, electrical system, etc.
Additional information by "category" is as follows:
EXTERIOR BODY & TRIM / INTERIOR
The body is finished in the striking color combination of Orion Blue with an original style two tone "button tufted" leather interior. The coordinating dark blue top creates an absolutely striking color combination; we think one of the absolute best combinations on the 1950's vintage Cadillac convertibles.
Of course, the Cadillac was painted with all of the trim removed and in the process, virtually every nut and bolt that was removed received replacement, restoration, or NOS parts. The door jambs, engine bay, trunk area, dash; etc all received high quality, professional repainting. The paint is exceptionally well done and show quality, with no signs of orange peel, fish eyes, cracking, peeling or other issues. We have been unable to identify any noticeable flaws, even with a close, critical inspection of the Cadillac. If any very minor issues exist, they certainly in no way detract from the incredible appearance and desirability of this restored, 1957 Cadillac.
The Cadillac convertible has been undergoing restoration for a decade, but has recently been completely brought up to driving condition. All of the fluids have been refreshed, brakes changed, and any mechanical issues addressed to ensure that the car is not only in show condition form a cosmetic perspective, but also a usable, drivable collector car. Needless to say, since its restoration the car has never seen rain, or for that matter been left outside unattended. Upon its complete ion the entire car received a comprehensive, complete detailing (refer to photographs) to bring it to show ready condition.
The body of this Cadillac convertible is as straight (quite a challenge for a car with large sides like this "Cad") as we have seen on a 1950's vintage, full sized vehicle. It is exceptionally straight and is virtually free from body waves, damage, imperfections, rust, poor preparation, or other issues.
The trunk has been completely refinished as well (again, refer to the photographs), and contains the original spare, jack and lug wrench. There is stock style carpeting covering a totally solid, rust free trunk area. We think that it's fair tom say that the trunk of the Cadillac looks better than when it was new (this is also true with the rest of the car!).
An expert inspection / evaluation of the Cadillac resulted in the following observations and conclusions:
- Absolutely Incredible attention to restoration details - (exterior, interior, trunk & engine bay)
- No body/chassis rust
- Excellent panel fit
- High Luster, show quality chrome plating (and lots of it!)
- Very clean, dry underside / undercarriage
- All new glass including side glass, windshield, vent glass
- Perfectly opening doors with no sagging
- New wiring (replaced throughout with factory OEM style)
The exterior chrome trim on the car is simply spectacular. The bumpers (including the front rubber "points") are free from dents, and do not show separation, or damage. The side moldings, emblems and grill remind us how lovely the '50s cars were and why the era was referred to as the "Fabulous 50's"!
All of the body panels, including doors, hood and trunk, are exceptionally straight, line up beautifully, and close solidly. There are absolutely no signs of rust. An inspection of the rocker panels, rear lower fenders, under hood area, spare tire "well", and undercarriage reveals no rust through, rot or major damage.
All of the rubber trim and seals have been replaced and were installed by Advanced Auto Restoration subsequent to the high quality paint work. The remaining exterior trim is in great condition, consistent with the cars high level restoration. The stainless is bright and free from dents/dings. The side windows are free from cracks and damage, and the power windows operate perfectly.
The front windshield is free from any cracks, stars or damage and the chrome surrounding it, is excellent, as well.
This car is really a spectacular example of a '57, and as you can imagine, draws crowds wherever she goes!
The interior was completely reupholstered when the car was restored, and based on the original specification of the car, was completed in the original blue color scheme. It has been finished utilizing high quality materials (leather seating surfaces and door panels) that closely match those of the day. The interior is breathtaking and virtually flawless.
As the photographs reflect, the entire interior (front & rear seats, door panels, carpeting, trunk, trim, etc.etc) and other interior components were all replaced. The workmanship is very high quality and the interior shows no signs of wear since the car has been driven only a few hundred miles since being restored.
The interior is, of course, stock in the sense that the expansive metal dash is all original, uncut, and complete with original instrumentation. The car has the beautiful, stock Cadillac dash including the beautiful "courtesy" light, special electric antenna control on the radio knob and detail that we just don't see on today's plastic and vinyl dash boards. In typical Cadillac fashion, the car is equipped with power windows & power steering.
All of the electrical system (headlights, lights, turn signals, etc) are fully functional. The AM radio is fully functional as is the power antenna. The clock is also functional and includes the original style tag that would have been on the car when it was delivered in 1957.
ENGINE & MECHANICAL COMPONENTS
Unfortunately, the owner cannot recall when the car was rebuilt mechanically, but is her best estimate that the car received a complete overhaul within 10,000 miles, or so. Also, the daughter reports that the car was used very sparingly and that the mileage of (14,xxx) is actually believed to be correct mileage of 1114,xxx since new in 1957.
The Cadillac has received considerable mechanical attention and all of the component parts have been restored and rebuilt. The car was inspected within the past week and found to be strong in every regard. This includes; the engine, transmission, and other major mechanical components including brakes, steering, suspension and electrical system.
Receipts document the work that was completed on the car since 2003 and these records will be provide to the new owner. The extensive nature of these repairs does not allow us to list in detail all of the work, but suffice it to say that this Cadillac has received everything that was deemed necessary to make it a show stopper. Also, unlike the disposable parts used on today's cars, the work that has been done on the Cadillac was completed to keep the car as original as possible by rebuilding original components to keep them numbers matching.
There is no noise in the driveline, no transmission slippage, or rear end noise. The brakes are very good, and the car stops straight and sure.
The prices of nice Cadillac's (especially desirable '57 convertible cars) continues to climb, driven in part by the escalating values of American Muscle, high end European and other collectible vehicles. Cadillac's have always been collectible and are considered "Blue Chip" investments by many long term, serious collectors. If history repeats itself, cars in this league will set new records at some of the well-known auctions throughout the course of 2007, and set an even higher watermark for future sales of these cars.
While we enjoy attending some of these auctions, frankly, we see some reasons to consider purchasing a collector car in a less frantic, less emotional setting. While we can't offer the cocktails and gourmet food found at some auctions, we are able to offer what we believe are much more important benefits. Unlike the live auctions where a car is simply driven past the crowd, we are able to provide the prospective buyer with important history on a particular car. We are also able to outline, in great detail, the specifics of recent repairs/updates, the accuracy of the "numbers" on the car, and a host of other significant facts that cannot be provided during the frenzy of a live auction.
Many enthusiasts realize that the values of these cars continue to increase in value, but they are surprised at how much they appreciated during the past several years. At a large auction, a Cadillac of his caliber may well bring bids approaching the $100,000 mark. Since we do not incur the costs associated with organizing a huge auction in Arizona (not to mention incurring the cost of those cocktails and appetizers!) we are able to offer this amazing Cadillac convertible at a considerably lower price than we expect it would command at a large, live auction. In fact, as a result of the owner's circumstances the car needs to be sold as soon as possible and at a very fair price for a car of this caliber.
DRIVING THE CADILLAC
Simply stated, the Cadillac is an absolute pleasure to drive. It is a magnificent example that reminds us of the elegance of automobiles of an earlier era. This car is appreciated for its California lineage, original configuration and high level of restoration.
The car has been driven in the San Francisco Bay area, and it runs flawlessly under all conditions. The "Cad" runs cool, does not exhibit any problems, and the engine is silky smooth. The V8 with dual exhaust emits a great, throaty sound. The transmission shifts perfectly. The Cadillac does not smoke, leak oil, or water. It starts immediately, when either hot or cold.
We must admit that driving this car around town does require a certain amount of patience. Why? Well, everywhere you go, plan on spending time answering questions about the car, its history, and get used to comments like "Whoa, cool!"? We forget that considering the age of the car, some of the "younger folks" have never driven, or even seen a large finned 1957 Cadillac convertible! For the more "mature enthusiast", it is difficult to believe, but true!! Great Fun, to be sure!!
MISCELLANEOUS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
1. Has it received a safety / light inspection? Yes, the car has been checked for turn signals, brake lights, and license plate lights.
2. The Cadillac has been driven fewer than 100 miles since the restoration but has been "sorted" to ensure no mechanical issues, overheating or running/driving issues.
3. Was the work completed by professionals? Yes, this car was restored strictly by professional restorers and, in fact, completed by a Cadillac specialist. No "back yard" mechanics had a hand in the work on this masterpiece.
4. What were the results of the independent inspection? The car was found to be very well built utilizing the finest components and restored to a very high level.
5 What are the cars needs (if any) at this time? The vehicle is in beautiful condition and is in show level condition. It would be well received at local and national shows.
6. Can we have the vehicle inspected? Absolutely, we encourage inspections of this Cadillac by seriously interested, qualified individuals, or professional inspection companies. All we ask is that you call us at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time since we are in and out of our offices quite a bit. We are unable to allow inspections 24 hours prior to the end of the auction as we are closed on Sunday.
7. Does the car have seat belts? No. Since seat belts were not mandatory for cars produced (put into service) in California in 1957, they are not required by law. Should the buyer have an interest in having seat belts installed, we could arrange to have "period style" belts put in the Cadillac at the buyers expense.
8. How is the car titled? The car carries a clear, California title with registration/licensing for California buyers that is valid until 6/08.
9. Can you provide some "ballpark" costs of shipping costs around the United States? Yes, on a fully insured, ENCLOSED carrier (we do not recommend the more common "open" transporters for a car of this caliber) and delivered to your door, about $1400.00 for most of the East Coast, $1200.00 to some of the Southern States, and around $1100 to the Midwest. The cost to Los Angeles would be approximately $500.00. PLEASE check with us as these are just estimates, NOT firm shipping costs, and rates are changing regularly due to fuel costs, exact locations, and other factors.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector car being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have completed (positive EBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a surety bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Do they enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
* Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for close to 15 years. We operate a small, indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
* The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
* We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
* We have operated a "brick & mortar" business in the same small town for close to 15 years
* We are fully insured and licensed for collector car sales
* Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
* We have operated a "brick & mortar" business in the same small town for close to 15 years
* We enjoy excellent relationships with a number of transport companies and, as a result, can often times obtain preferred pricing for vehicle shipping. Please give us a call and we will be glad to refer you to suitable transport companies. Needless to say, we would recommend a quality, enclosed transporter that is experience with moving high quality, collectible cars.
* We frequently sell vehicles to out of state buyers / out of country buyers, and are proud of our 100% positive EBay feedback ratings on 350+ transactions. Please review our EBay feedback for specific comments on our service to our customers.
* The Cadillac will be sold with a clear California title and the documents / photographs referenced earlier in this write up.
* In addition to the purchase price, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, documentation fee, and DMV transfer fees. Out of state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle with any taxes/fees paid in their respective state. NOTE: California buyers will be pleased to hear that the Cadillac is registered until June, 2008!
IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE...If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California, sales tax and other license, registration & transfer fees will apply, even to out of state buyers. This is California law.there can be no exceptions.
* We encourage telephone calls to discuss in greater details the condition/specifics of this fabulous and may be able to arrange an opportunity to talk with the restorer for SERIOUS buyers. While it is difficult to describe how nice this Cadillac convertible truly is, we welcome "walk around" telephone discussions in order to answer any questions that you may have.
* We will be glad to discuss a sale of the car prior to the end of the listing on EBay, and ask that interested parties call us at 925-846-1451 for additional information/specifics.
* Please review our feedback on EBay (user name never22many) for our history of successful sales to out of state/country buyers. Our feedback consists of a total of over 350+ positive transactions on EBay.
* As with any collectible, classic automobile, we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our EBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Convertible
|Exterior Color:||Light Blue|
|Factory Original Spare / Tools|
Factory Power Top
Fresh "Nut & Bolt" Restoration
Heater / Defroster
Matching Numbers Engine
| ||Matching Numbers Transmission|
Original Jack & Tools
Power Driver's Seat
Power Driver's Seat
Wide Whitewall Tires
One Owner Since 1958!
100% Professional Restoration
Restoration Documented with Photos & Log
Delivered New in Oakland, CA.
Has Never Left California
Series 62 Convertible
Desirable Orion Blue / Blue Top & Interior
'57 Fins - WOW!
Show Quality Chrome
Extremely Straight Body
Beautiful Blue (All new) Top
Restored Chrome Top Bows / Structure
Wide Whitewalls - A Nice Touch!
"Drop Top" '57
Amazing Attention to Detail
Spectacular Front End
Excellent Panel Fit
Take a Close Look!
No Inexpensive Plating Here
Laser Straight Sides
All New Rubber Trim
Rear Bumper Exhaust Pipe Exit
Licensed & Registered In California
Beautiful & Totally Straight Stainless
Close - Left Rear
Close - Right Rear
Close Right Front
Close- Left Front
Front Hood Emblem
The Best of the Best
A Sign of the Times
Side Fender Crest
Left Rear Quarter Panel
Fender Cadillac Emblem
Left Inner Fender Well
Inner Fender Well - Front
Tail Light Fuel Tank!
Exhaust Right Side
Fully Functional Interior Lights
Center Horn Button - Close
Radio / Dash Light
Right Side Dash
Left Side Window Controls
Center Arm Rest
All New Carpet & Trim
Leather Seats (and door panels)
Power Steering & Brakes
Center Mounted Speaker
Dash Cadillac Emblem
Radio Controls (Activate Antenna)
Right Side Door Panel
Left Side Door Panel
Back of Front Seats
Coordinated Rear Convertible "Boot"
Rear Seating Area
Left Side Rear Panel
Right Rear Side Panel
Left Front Door Jamb
Left Door Jamb (Incl. ID Tag)
Radio With New Instuction Tag
Rear Window Control
Carpet Crest (Front)
Restored Wheel / Dash
Heater Controls - Close
Optional Signal Seeking Radio
Underside Trunk & Decal
Trunk / Spare
Jack / Tools
Forward View - Trunk
Highly Detailed Engine
Immaculate Engine Bay
Air Cleaner Label
Labels on Engine Bay Parts
Air Cleaner - Close
Correct Engine Colors
Fan Pulley Label
Like When It Was Delvivered!
ID Tag - Correct / Original Colors!
Under Hood ID Tag
Cadillac - "The Standard of the World"