1996 Acura NSX T
,center>Spectacular NSX-T Finished in "Formula Red” / Black Leather
Totally Stock Example - No Modifications
Complete Comprehensive Major Service by Acura within 100 Miles
THE ACURA NSX - HISTORY
The mid-engined NSX appeared on the supercar market in 1991 and has continued in production for over ten years. Honda had been dominating Formula One racing and decided to continue that domination in the showrooms. In over a decade the NSX has not changed much. Its styling appears to be derived for the mid-engined Lotus Esprit of the 1970's, with its flat but angular styling cues. In February of 1989 Acura introduced a new sports car at the Chicago Auto Show, the NS-X. Its introduction is significant, being the first supercar from a Japanese automobile manufacturer. The name NS-X represented 'New Sportscar eXperimental'.
The design and materials used on the NSX was revolutionary and introduced many industry 'firsts' for the production car market. It was the first production car to use titanium connecting rods, six in total. The body and chassis was comprised of aluminum, weighing just over 460 pounds, much less than steel but with equal strength. The aluminum body housed many advanced technologies such as PGM-FI, Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC), and a direct ignition system. The 3-liter DOHC V-6 engine was mounted mid-ship and matted to a five-speed manual gearbox. With 270 horsepower and 210 foot-pounds of torque, zero-to-sixty was accomplished in under six seconds.
Production was slow, but for good reason. Each vehicle was hand assembled by a team of technicians, with an average of about 20 examples being produced per day. During its introductory year only 1940 examples were produced. Sales continued to be strong through the 1990's and into the next millennium. By 2004, over 8000 examples were being produced each year.
Since its inception, minor aesthetic styling changes have occurred, most notably the pop-up halogen headlights have been replaced with fixed high-intensity-discharge (HID) beams. The rear wing has been changed since its introduction and various other parts of the body have been slightly modified to improve the drag coefficient. These small changes have increased the top speed from 167 to 175 mph.
Throughout the years; various mechanical components have been updated such as the suspension and the size of the tires. The larger-diameter wheels and tires did more for its appearance than it did for performance. In 1995 a Sequential Sportshift automatic transmission, inspired by Formula One racing, was offered as optional equipment. That was the same year that the NSX-T, the NSX but with a removable roof, was introduced.
The NSX's 270 horsepower engine was powerful and the excellent weight-distribution of the vehicle offered superb handling. Power was sent to the rear wheels courtesy of a six-speed manual gearbox.
From the beginning the NSX has been involved in racing. In its first year on the track it captured the Manufacturer's and Driver's Championship in the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) GTP Lights series. This accomplishment was repeated in 1992 and 1993. In 1997 an NSX captured the SCCA World Challenge Championship.
The price tag and styling is borderline 'Supercar' while the horsepower and performance approaches some of the other great supercars such as Lamborghini and Ferrari. The entire package speaks for itself, with over 10 years in production and very little changes being implemented through the years. Though it does not produce the high horsepower numbers, it does have the highest per-litre output of any naturally aspirated V6 production road-going car in the world. Focusing on weight distribution, low weight, down-force, aerodynamics, suspension and technology rather than large engines has made this vehicle a technological and stylish marvel even to this day.
By Daniel Vaughan
In a 1996 comparison of the Porsche 911 and the Acura NSX-T a major road test magazine's final summary remarks were: "As a fully satisfying drop-top, the Porsche's manners and style are hard to beat. It's one of the few cars that has its own heritage. The Acura, on the other hand, offers a unique combination of driving precision, high-tech engineering, and open-air thrills. Ultimately, the manual transmission version of either car is more compelling to us; however, if we had to choose one, we'd take the brilliant composure of NSX-T over the 911's charm, history, and cachet.”
1996 Acura NSX Specifications
1996 NSX Engine & Performance Specifications
• 2,977 cc 3 liters 6 V mid transverse engine with 90 mm bore, 78 mm stroke, 10.2 compression ratio, light alloy block, light alloy head, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder
• Premium unleaded fuel
• Multi-point injection fuel system
• Main 70 liter fuel tank
• Power: 201 kW , 270 HP @ 7,100 rpm; 210 ft lb @ 5,300 rpm
• • 1996 NSX Braking & Suspension Specs •
• Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs
• Electronic traction control via engine management
• Alarm System
• Rear mechanical limited slip differential
• Inflatable alloy rim engine compartment spare wheel
• Wishbone front and rear suspension with stabilizer bar independent with coil springs
1996 NSX Lights & Exterior Specs
• Front and rear body color impact absorbing bumpers
• Coefficient of drag: 0.32
• Driver and passenger power body color door mirrors
• External dimensions: overall length (mm): 4,425, overall width (mm): 1,811, overall height (mm): 1,171, wheelbase (mm): 2,530, front track (mm): 1,509, rear track (mm): 1,529 and curb to curb turning circle (mm): 11,613
• Projector beam lens halogen bulb twin concealed headlights
• Luxury trim leather on gear shift knob
• Gloss paint , black paint , pearl paint
• Fixed rear window
• Front body color lip spoiler , trunk/hatch black wing spoiler
• Tinted glass
• Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (kg) 1,592, curb weight (kg) 1,425
• Two-speed windshield wipers with W/S wiper mist setting and variable intermittent wipe
• 1996 NSX Interior Features & Specifications
• CFC free liquid air conditioning with climate control
• Power + diversity antenna
• Peripheral anti-theft protection
• Front illuminated ashtray
• Audio anti-theft protection: code
• Stereo Bose audio system with AM/FM
• Cargo area light
• Cargo capacity: rear seat up; to lower window (liters): all seats in place (liters): 142
• Front seats illuminated cigar lighter
• Digital clock
• Floor full console with open storage box
• Courtesy lights with two switches
• Steering wheel mounted cruise control
• Front seats cup holders
• Door ajar warning
• Floor covering: carpet in passenger compartment and carpet in load area
• Driver and passenger front airbag
• Sports seat
• 3-point reel front seat belts on driver seat and passenger seat with pre-tensioners and grabbers
• Front seat center armrest with integral box
• Lockable illuminated glove compartment with lid
• Head restraints on front seats
• Internal dimensions: front headroom (mm): 922, front hip room (mm): 1,367, front leg room (mm): 1,125, front shoulder room (mm): 1,334 and interior volume (liters): 1,385
• Low fuel level warning
• Key power locks with internal switch operates from passenger door
• Vehicle speed proportional power steering
• Front power windows with door mounted switches and one one-touch
• Rear view mirror
• Mechanical remote fuel filler door release
• Electric remote trunk/hatch release
• Seating: two seats
• Leather seat upholstery with additional leather
• Four speakers
• Leather covered steering wheel
• Ventilation system with digital controls, variable fan speeds and recirculation setting
Price New (as tested) = $85,310.00~
THIS PARTICULAR 1996 ACURA "T” NSX
This desirable Targa roof Acura NSX is a striking example. The NSX is finished in one of the more desirable colors, Formula Red (Code R-77) with the classic black leather interior.
The NSX has a completely clean Car Fax report that reflects the extensive dealer maintenance that the car has received by Acura. The report also reflects that the NSX is free from any previous reported accident or structural damage, odometer rollback, manufacturers recall, airbag deployment or total loss. Finally, the Car Fax report documents the cars chronological mileage and shows it as "Low Mileage”! The car has 77.457 miles at this writing. We should note that many of the Acura NSXs that we see have very high mileage due to the reliability and strength of the Honda designed drive-line. To find a car that has been used minimally (fewer than 5,000 miles per year) is very unusual.
Within the past 30 days, the NSX was taken to the local Bay area Acura dealer, Acura of Fremont, CA. for a comprehensive inspection and mechanical evaluation. The car was inspected at 77,408 miles (fewer than 100 miles ago) and the authorized dealership was given virtually a ‽blank check” to complete any of the recommended maintenance and service items to the NSX. Since the car had been used minimally, it was suggested that many of the hoses be replaced in addition to the timing belt and other regular maintenance items. The details can be seen under ‽Maintenance” (below) but, when all of the recommended work was completed a total of $5,500.00 was invested. So, needless to say, the car is totally current when it comes to the its major operating systems including, but not limited to, the engine, transmission, brakes, steering, fuel system, etc.
BODY / PAINT / INTERIOR
The quality of the paint and body on this NSX is excellent. There is no evidence of significant previous or current damage and the photos accurately depict the beauty of the lines and color combination of the Acura NSX. The car appears to have all of the original paint and that has held up very well. An inspection of the car's body reveals no significant damage and only minor paint chips, scratches and other flaws that one would normally find on a vehicle of this age. These minor imperfections are consistent with the vintage of the vehicle and many require close critical inspection to be identified. We have photographed every part of the car but many of the minor flaws are too slight to show up in the photographs. In any event, any issues to not detract from the overall appearance of the NSX. The doors and sides are free from major door dings and the front and rear bumpers do not show the ‽bumper rash” that we see on many cars that are high mileage or that have been used as more regular "drivers.”
The quality of the interior is equally as good as that of the exterior body and paint. As the photographs reflect, outside of the normal fine patina of leather on the seats, there are no rips, tears or other damage and the driver's side seat bolster is free from tears and rips that can be so common and only shows the slightest signs of very minor "rubbing" on the left side. The remainder of the interior is excellent and all of the gauges, switches and controls are fully functional as one would expect from a reliable, dependable Acura automobile.
The NSX is equipped with factory coordinated logo floor mats and the door panels, dash, and headliner reflect the level of care /use one would expect from a careful enthusiast owner / driver.
The car is fitted with the "T” top that was introduced in mid 1995 and is considered desirable by NSX prospective buyers/owners.
Frankly, the old adage "A photo is worth 10 words applies to both the interior and exterior of the NSX.”
As is true with virtually all of our cars, the NSX was referred by a comes to us from a local Bay area customer that visited our enclosed showroom as a result of our previous representation of Acura NSX cars and other sports and high performance vehicles. The car recently came to us directly from the Acura dealership where it received a comprehensive maintenance / service. The owner of the NSX wanted to ensure that the car was "100%” before passing it on to its next "Caregiver.” This certainly speaks volumes about the integrity of the car's owner.
The following work is documented and was performed by Acura at 77,408 miles, fewer than 100 miles ago.
• Complete valve adjustment including all intake & exhaust valves per spec., new spark plugs, new valve cover gaskets and tune to manufacturers specifications
• Replace timing belt, new water pump, new alternator belt, new compressor belt
• New inner & outer CV joints
• Replace clutch master cylinder
• Replace upper & lower coolant hoses and by-pass hose and bleed cooling system / new coolant
• Install new complete coolant hoses ands and bypass hose kit
• New oil pan gasket
• Complete oil service
• Replace cam plug seals
• Replace right middle tail light bulb
• Check front and rear tires (5 to 6mm remain rear, 5-3 mm remain front)
Total maintenance - $5,480.54
Additional documented Car Fax service / maintenance history:
• 9,000 miles - Passed emissions test
• 14,000 miles - Passed emissions test
• 34,723 miles - Maintenance inspection completed
• 34,925 miles - Maintenance inspection performed including rear brakes replaced
• 36,106 miles - Vehicle serviced
• 37,076 miles - Vehicle serviced
• 38,000 miles - Passed emission inspection
• 4/17/04 miles - (approximately 39-40k miles - Oil Service
• 5/20/04 miles - Approximately 41,500 miles - Maintenance inspection completed / electrical system checked
• 42,000~ miles - Passed emission inspection
• 42,050 miles -Odometer reading recorded
• 7/13/04 - Vehicle serviced
• 9/16/04 - Vehicle serviced
• 11/26/04 - Oil service
• 3/24/05 Passed emission inspection
• 45,741 miles (5/1/05) - Service contract issued
• Note: The presence of a service contract typically suggest s that the owner takes the vehicle in for regular maintenance and maintenance since most items are covered under the contract / warranty.
• 5/10/05 - Maintenance inspection completed - washed & detailed
• 7/18/05 - Required maintenance performed
• 1/14/06 - Maintenance inspection completed & required maintenance performed
• 4/8/06 - Vehicle serviced
• 62, 286 miles (5/2/07)- Passed emission inspection
• 65,046 miles - Maintenance inspection completed and oil service
• 68,319 miles - passed emission inspection
• 3/15/11 - Passed emission inspection
• 77,408 miles (7/28/12) - Major service (see above)
Based on the totally stock condition of the NSX there are no indications of the car ever being raced (tracked), abused, or taken for granted. Also, please note that the engine bay (and front ‽trunk” area have not be cleaned up for the sale or photographs. They have been maintained in this condition by the cars previous owners.
This NSX is a "no surprises" example of the one of the finest overall, high performance touring sports cars available in the marketplace today. It is a truly lovely example and is being offered at a fraction of its original (and many believe very reasonable) MSRP price.
LICENSE / REGISTRATION / INSPECTION
• Currently licensed & registered in California (Clear title)
• Passed recent California safety inspection (proper lights, turn signals, etc)
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
• We have a number of additional, detailed photographs but are only able to show 100~ on our listings. Please let us know if we can provide additional detailed photos of any part of the NSX-T.
• We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
• As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet!
• In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
to sales tax, documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
• While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
• As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
• Please keep in mind that minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
• The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers” and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector car being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
• How long have they been in business?
• How much experience do they have with collector cars?
• How many positive collector car vehicle sales have completed (positive eBay feedback)?
• How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
• Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a distance?
• Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
• What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
• Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
• Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
• Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
• Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for close to 20 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
• The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
• Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 675+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
• We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
• Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
• We enjoy excellent relationships with a number of transport companies and, as a result, can often times obtain preferred pricing for vehicle shipping. Please give us a call and we will be glad to refer you to suitable transport companies. Needless to say, we would recommend a quality, enclosed transporter that is experience with moving high quality, collectible cars.
• We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Coupe
|Transmission: ||6 Speed Manual
|Close Ratio 6-Speed|
Factory Air Conditioning
Factory Seat Belts
Front & Rear Sway Bars
| ||Leather Seats|
Original Jack & Tools
Original Owners Manual
Power Driver's Seat
Runs / Drives Very Well