1998 Porsche 993 (911) Cabriolet
Finished in Striking in Arena Red / Tan Leather
88,000 Miles with Long Term California Ownership
6-Speed, 18” Turbo Twist Wheels, Upgraded Sound & Power Leather Seats
Extremely Well Maintained by Porsche Specialists
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please review the OVERVIEW below along with the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Porsche and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Porsche can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS PORSCHE, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF EBAY POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE PORSCHE.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
OVERVIEW - 1998 PORSCHE 993 CONVERTIBLE
Among sports car enthusiasts the Porsche 993 (911) is arguably one of the best Porsches of all times. While the quotes from experts are too numerous to list, a writer from Road & Track summarized his thoughts by saying "Driving one for the first time, is like falling in love or having a child, it fundamentally and permanently changes you.” Another well known author exclaimed "If you're a fan of Porsches or European cars, the 993 is simply the car to have, enjoy, covet and polish…and, an occasional blast around the track will confirm the car's capabilities and provide the car's owner with a smile that will be long lasting.”
This Porsche 993 is not only a joy to look at, but a thrill to drive. It offers a wonderful blend of performance, handling and creature comforts that were lacking in earlier 911s. However, it retains the classic Porsche styling cues that made these cars so very popular. With only 88,000 miles, long term California ownership, and excellent maintenance, this car is the perfect choice as a car that can be driven and enjoyed but has potential for future appreciation. Consider the following highlights:
• 3.6 L 272 hp H6 engine with fuel injection and dual overhead cams
• Torque: 243 lb-ft. @ 5000 rpm
• 6 speed manual transmission
• Finished in Arena Red Metallic with tan Leather power seats (Driver and passenger)
• Porsche script black floor mats
• Black electric power top / clear rear window
• Factory Canvas rear convertible boot cover
• Cashmere & black leather interior
• Upgraded sound system with removable front amplifier and speaker (Custom fitted with no holes drilled…easily removed if desired)
• Factory wind block
• Optional 18” turbo-twist wheels with Porsche center crests
• 17” factory issued wheels are available
• Factory tools in bag (unused)
• Well maintained by the Porsche dealer and Porsche specialists with documentation of repairs
DETAILS-THIS PARTICULAR 1998 PORSCHE 993
Type 993 630
Paint Number: L84S (Arena Red Metallic)
Interior: LC (Cashmere / Black Leather)
• 220 - LSD Limited Slip Differential (40% lock)
• 224 - ABD - Automatic Braking Differential (Traction Control)
• 398 - Upgraded 17” wheels (18” turbo-twist wheels fitted currently)
• 437 - 8 way electrical seat (Left)
• 438 - 8 way electrical seat (Right)
• 454 - Automatic speed control
• 490 - Upgraded sound system
• 551 - Wind deflector
• 688 - CD Radio Becker Porsche CDR-210 USA
RECENT MAINTENANCE (Within the previous 10,000~ Miles)
• Remove and replace drive belt tensioner sensor (6,000 miles ago)
• Remove and replace hood struts
• New battery (2 months ago)
• New ignition wires (7,500~ miles ago)
• Valve job, replace valve guides, remove & replace camshaft towers, & rocker arms, clean EGR tract, new spark plugs, SAI service ($7,125.00) - 8,000~ miles ago
• Oil service (73,000 miles)
• Adjust & repair power top and purchase new wind screen
• Remove secondary air injection check valve & exhaust system to clear passage ways in head (8,500 miles ago)
• Repair rear electric spoiler
• New tail light assembly due to bulb socket malfunction
• Complete oil service, filter, clean K&N filter, check all fluids & systems (18,000 miles ago)
• Clutch replaced at 68,993 miles (20,000 miles ago)
While the maintenance file is too extensive to detail item by item, the above summary will provide a good sense of the care that the Porsche has received. Prior to the listed services, the car received the 60,000 mile major service, frequent oil (minor services), miscellaneous items (hood shocks, window switch replacements, safety inspections, and any recommended service by Porsche professionals). We will gladly review the specifics of the comprehensive maintenance file with interested buyers.
The Porsche is in lovely condition and was to be a lifelong addition to its current "caregiver” who has owned the car for 12+ years. As a result of unexpected circumstances, and a growing family, the Porsche 993 is being offered for sale at this time.
A review of the car's file indicates a "no expense spared” philosophy when it came to the Porsche. While the car was used exclusively as a fair weather, weekend California car, the owners took every measure to ensure that the car's maintenance was always current. The car was adult owned, never tracked, abused or neglected. While it was used minimally, it was driven regularly in their gated, exclusive community, and around our small town. Additionally, the car was enjoyed for the occasional travels to some of our premier Northern California destinations including Carmel, and Napa / Sonoma.
The 993 retains its factory high gloss Arena Red Metallic paint that is in lovely condition. Unlike so many Porsches that we see, the front end and front bumper show very well with only the most minor imperfections. This is attributed, in part, to the car not being used as a commute car and spending much of its time being used locally or when traffic is very light. The body is free from damage including the vulnerable doors that often times show significant door dings. As a "suburban car”, the car has not been subjected to parallel parking so the front and rear bumpers have retained an excellent appearance. Any imperfections are minor and require close inspection to be identified. Frankly, it is difficult to imagine that the Porsche is 18 years old based on its appearance and mechanical strength.
The Cashmere interior provides a striking contrast to the car's Arena Red (actually described by some as "Merlot”) exterior. The Porsche has been owned by professionals who kept the car in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition at all times. The seating surfaces are free from rips, tears and damage reflecting the patina of fine leather and light use. The carpet, door panels, dash, gauges and other interior areas are clean and devoid of damage or excessive wear. The light colored carpet is protected by "Carrera” scripted front mats in black. The electrical system is fully functional including repairs and adjustments to the power convertible top that allow it to open/close properly with a touch of a button. A newer, replacement wind block is fitted and stays in place when the convertible top is in the up, or down position.
The convertible power top is fully functional and the top is high quality, factory canvas including a matching rear convertible boot cover. The top has a totally clear rear window and is in good condition showing the characteristic minor wear at some of the convertible top frame areas. The wind block is in excellent condition and can be folded down when not in use.
The front compartment / trunk is extremely clean and fitted with a custom made, costly amplifier and panels designed to fit the front of the Porsche. They are very well designed and include an upgraded speaker in a custom box that can be removed along with the amplifier (refer to photos). Great care was exercised during the installation of the components to ensure that no holes were drilled and that it was totally removable should the cars future owner decide to do so.
The engine bay is immaculate and reflects the high level of maintenance that the car has received. A K&N removable air cleaner sticker is prominent indicating an upgraded air filter that is in compliance with California smog requirements. All of the required federal stickers are in place on the rear panel and there are no signs of accident damage to the car's rear, front or side areas. The Porsche has benefited from ongoing "cost no object” service to meet / exceed factory recommended requirements including a recent major valve job/service to remedy the SAI (Secondary Air Injection) issue that is a common problem with Porsche's of this era. This is a costly ($7,500.00~) repair that was completed by the car's owner and reflects their commitment to ensuring the car was in prime mechanical condition at all times.
In the case of this Porsche 993 we think the adage "One photo is worth a thousand words” applies. The extensive photographs reflect the car's condition including the body, paint, engine compartment, interior, forward compartment and underside.
• Current California registration (through March 2017 for California buyers
• Clear, no-lien title
• Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, tires, etc.
SPECIFICATIONS - PORSCHE 993 CABRIOLET
• Type Flat: 6
• Induction: Normally aspirated
• Cooling: Air/oil-cooled
• Valve-train: Single overhead camshaft
• Injection: Port injection
• Bore x Stroke: 3.94 in/100 mm x 3.01 in/76.4 mm
• Displacement: 219.60 cu-in/3,600 cc
• Horsepower: 272 @ 6100 rpm
• Torque: 243 lb-ft. @ 5000 rpm
• Max RPM: 6700
• Compression Ratio: 11.3:1
• 6-speed manual
• Type: Rear-engined / rear-wheel drive
• Curb Weight: 3,050 lbs.
• Height: 51.77 in.
• Ground Clearance: 4.72 in.
• Length: 167.72 in.
• Wheelbase: 89.45 in
• Width: 68.31 in
• Track Front: 55.31 in.
• Track Rear: 56.85 in.
• Drag Coefficient: .33
• Wheel Size Front: 16” x 7” (Stock, now 18”)
• Wheel Size Rear: 16” x 9” (Stock, now 18”)
• Tire Size Front 205/55ZR
• Tire Size Rear245/45ZR
• Caliper: Front Fixed 4-piston
• Caliper: Rear Fixed 4-piston
• Disc Type: Front Ventilated and cross-drilled discs
• Disc Type: Rear Ventilated and cross-drilled discs
• Disc Size: Front 11.97 in/304 mm x 1.26 in/32 mm
• Disc Size: Rear 11.77 in/299 mm x .94 in/24 mm
• 0 to 60 MPH: 5.2 seconds manual
• Top Speed: 175+
• MPG City: 15 manual/15 Tiptronic
• MPG Highway: 23 manual/22 Tiptronic
• MPG Combined: 18 manual/18 Tiptronic
• Fuel Tank Capacity: 19.4 U.S. gallons
• Required Octane: Premium unleaded (91+)
HISTORY PORSCHE 993
The Porsche 993 summarizes the generation of all Porsche 911 models built between late 1993 and 1998 - and was the last and most advanced of the "true 911s”, in other words the legendary air-cooled Porsche's. It was the successor of the Porsche 964 and featured significant styling and technical innovations:
The exterior design of the front and rear bumper as well as front fenders including light units and rear lights was changed: The "blockish” and dominant shape of the front and rear bumpers of the 964 was evolved into a sleeker design that was more integrated and flowing much better with the 911's design. The front fenders and light units no longer featured the characteristic "Torpedorohr” design (torpedo tube design) but were incorporated better into the car's design now with the lights sitting in place less steeply positioned and more aerodynamic. The shape of the 993 is considered by many enthusiasts as the most homogenous and balanced of all 911s.
Technical innovations included an all-alloy multi arm rear suspension attached to an all alloy sub-frame providing a more direct and stable handling and eliminating all older 911s tendency to over-steer when lifting the throttle during hard cornering.
The 993's air-cooled 3.6 liter M64 engine was derived from the 964 including some refinements which included an improved engine management system and a dual-flow exhaust system now incorporating two catalytic converters instead of one. With the 993, Porsche introduced a 6-speed manual transmission covering the increased speed range of 185 mph+ and allowing the driver to use the best torque range of 4500 rpm + in virtually every situation.
The all-wheel drive system of the 964 Carrera 4 was re-engineered by replacing the center differential with a viscous coupling unit providing vastly improved handling characteristics while still maintaining the safe stability offered by all-wheel drive and also without having to compromise in understeer. This simpler concept was even saving weight and was so convincing that it was implemented in all succeeding 911's.
The interior was only changed conservatively. The center console, seating position and instrument layout of the 964 remained unchanged. Most prominent changes included a more elegant steering wheel and redesigned door handles.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
- As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 23 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 910+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Porsche by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of information and any items contained in this listing prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
|Body Type / Style:||Cabriolet
|Exterior Color:||Arena Red|
|Interior Color:||Tan Leather|
|Engine:||Flat 6 Cylinder
|Transmission: ||6 Speed Manual
California Lic & Reg
Clear Title Included
Close Ratio 6-Speed
Convertible Boot Cover
Custom Car Cover
Dual Side Mirrors
Factory Air Conditioning
Factory Bucket Seats
Factory Center Console
Factory Dual Exhaust
Matching Numbers Engine
Matching Numbers Transmission
| ||Meets All USA Standards|
Power Driver's Seat
Rear Seat Belts
Rear Storage Area
Runs / Drives Very Well
Last of the Air Cooled 911's!
Striking in Arena Red / Cashmere
Very Well Maintained
18" Turbo Twist Wheels
Custom Installed Amp / Speaker
No Holes Drilled - Revoable
Amp Can be Removed
California Weekend Use!